I’m a black chick with dark tan skin and, let me tell you, finding makeup in my shade can be serious pain in the butt. Admittedly I don’t have it as bad as my girlfriends out there with even darker complexions than mine, but it says a lot when someone on the lighter end of the brown spectrum can’t even catch a break. Sure, some companies making sure that their makeup is more accessible to ladies with darker skin tones, but the fact that there are special lines dedicated specifically to dark skin says all there needs to be said about the state of the cosmetic industry.
So for those of you who also have dark skin and know that the struggle is real, you’ll relate to these seven makeup problems. Let’s just bond over our makeup angst as one, shall we?
1) All the foundation and concealer is so damn light that you need sunglasses just looking at them.
Why are there 50 shades of bright peach and one shade of brown?
2) Or else colors jump from sort of almost tan to way too dark.
Which sucks if you’re somewhere in between.
3) You usually have to resort to more expensive brands to have a better range of color options.
Which sucks if you aren’t rollin’ like that. Having to save up for foundation? Ugh.
4) When an awesome color of makeup stands out on your friend with light skin but barely shows up on yours.
5) Good luck finding a BB cream in your color.
For some reason it is nearly impossible to find a BB cream color darker than a light tan. Seriously, check for yourself. Ridiculous.
6) When makeup that is just a little too light for you just makes you look ashy.
Ashy is never a good look. Never.
7) “Nude” lipstick is a joke.
If by nude you mean light peach colored then yes, sure. Alas, when I take off all of my clothes, that isn’t the color nude I see.
For those of you with dark skin, what is your go to foundation, concealer, BB/CC, etc that actually matches your skin tone? What other beauty problems do you face? Tell us in the comments!