As a self-proclaimed beauty junkie, I’m a little ashamed to admit that I have yet to try highlighting and contouring. I love makeup and think it’s super fun, but to be honest with you guys, highlighting and contouring looks really hard and complicated! I see all of these intricate drawings and photos on Pinterest detailing exactly how to use highlighter, concealer, foundation, and powder for a perfect HAC job, and even though the results look amazing, my head starts to spin a little bit.
Highlighting and contouring is something that makeup artists have been using forever on celebrities, but it wasn’t until recently that it became part of everyone’s makeup routines, even those of us who are just going to school and work. If you’re not familiar with HAC, it can change the way your whole face looks (not that you need it, girl). Here’s a drastic example:
Whoa. Honestly, I think that girl looks beautiful both ways, but if you’re interested in learning how to do something similar, I’m here to help. I’ve put together 20 highlighting and contouring hacks, tips, and tricks from Pinterest that should make this whole process a lot easier. I think I’m even going to attempt it myself!
1. Learn the basics with this quick Q&A:
2. Figure out which brushes you need for highlighting…
3. …And which you need for contouring:
4. Figure out what other basic products you’ll need.
5. Or get these cheaper drugstore brands!
6. Learn how to highlight and contour if you have an oblong face, like Gisele:
7. Or a heart-shaped face, like Selena Gomez:
8. Or a round face, like Kirsten Dunst:
9. Or a pear-shaped face, like Kelly Osbourne:
10. Learn how to use just highlighter to get a beautiful glow.
11. Use this more simple technique for an everyday look that won’t take 20 minutes.
12. Find out what contouring technique is best for you based on your skin tone.
13. Keep this simple tip in mind:
14. Here is a great HAC method if you have dark skin. This girl looks flawless!
15. Make your eyes look amazing and bright using this 8 technique:
16. This C and E technique is so easy to follow and remember.
17. Remember this very basic rule of highlighting:
18. This trick for making your nose appear smaller and more slim is super popular. It’s also pretty easy to duplicate:
19. Print out this infographic and keep it by your makeup. Super easy to follow!
20. Don’t forget about your neckline!
Do you do highlighting and contouring? Which of these tips was your favorite? What did I forget? What kind of makeup tips do you want to see? Tell me in the comments!