Dear moms and dads everywhere: please get off Facebook. Or, if you insist on having one, please don’t add your children. In fact, ignore them altogether. It’s your right to have a Facebook, but that does not mean it is also your right to ruin our Facebook fun. Sincerely, everyone.
Seriously, though – I am not a fan of parents on Facebook. My mom made a Facebook account a few years ago, and she tried to add me, and I refused to add her back. She’s still mad at me about it, but the truth is, I’m just not okay with my mom having access to every part of my online life. I don’t think that’s so wrong, am I right?
A recent survey confirms what we all already knew: one third of “young people” are embarrassed by parents being on social media. And if you’ve ever seen parents on social media, it’s pretty obvious why. I’m going to go ahead and say Facebook is the worst, because a lot of parents haven’t yet made their way to Twitter or Instagram. Here are 15 of the most embarrassing things parents do on Facebook:
1. When they comment something sappy on one of your friend’s photos of you.
Like, “You look beautiful. Love the dress. Love you, Mom.” K, thanks mom, let’s save these compliments for another time.
2. Or worse, when they literally like every single photo you’re tagged in.
And your friends are like, “Um, I think your mom liked my picture?”
3. When they post weird/inappropriate photos of themselves.
This is even worse if they’re friends with your friends. Speaking of that…
4. When they add ALL of your friends.
Your friends feel obligated to add them even though you know they don’t want to and ugh.
5. When they write REALLY private things on your wall because they just don’t get how Facebook works.
It’s just like, can you NOT? I will literally see you later when I come home.
6. Or when they make statuses about inappropriate things NO ONE wants to know about.
Like their stomach virus or, even worse, their sex life. GROSS.
7. When they try to defend you even though you don’t need to be defended.
It must be more difficult for parents to detect sarcasm through the Internet. And OMG how embarrassing to have your dad come to your “rescue” on Facebook.
8. When they post embarrassing photos of you that they think are cute.
They’re not cute.
9. When they write really sappy things on your wall.
Like, “I love you hunny, just wanted to let you know the best.” Okay, fine, that’s cute, but also still embarrassing.
10. When they like a page that is actually really gross.
I recently saw my friend’s uncle like a sexy nude picture. I don’t think he realized you can see that on the newsfeed. HORRIFYING.
11. When they try way too hard to write like they think they’re supposed to because they’re on the Internet.
Example: “hi u u r so cute luv u lol.” K mom, you can type like a normal person.
12. Or when they type in ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME.
WHY DO PARENTS DO THIS.
13. When they brag about you to all of your Facebook friends.
Ack. How are you supposed to react?
14. When they watch everything you do carefully so that later they can ask you/yell at you about it.
This is why you never wanted to be friends with them.
15. When they say things like, “Watch your language!”
And this is why you shouldn’t be on Facebook, mom.
Are your parents on Facebook? Which of these do you hate the most? Which do you not care about? What did I forget? Tell me in the comments!