Unless you live in a city where public transportation is the main way to get around, you probably look forward to getting your driver’s license. I’m from Los Angeles and we rely on driving to get around and have any semblance of a social life. It’s definitely a right of passage to snag that driver’s license by the time you’re 16-years-old back there; any later and you’re pretty much late in the game.
I passed my driving test with flying colors (on the first try, by the way), but there was still a lot of anxiety that I wasn’t prepared to experience. Oh, and when I wasn’t feeling anxious, I was too busy acting as if I was the first teenager in the history of teenagers to drive. So for all the nervous moments and exciting moments thrown in between, here are 15 things that you’ll definitely experience when you start driving for the first time.
1. Every playlist must become the ultimate playlist
You’re not quite at the point where you don’t really care if you accidentally end up listening to sports news radio for the first 20 minutes of your drive.
2. You’re constantly worried that you’re not driving exactly between the lines
You feel like you’re driving on a damn tightrope!
3. You’re tempted to text on your phone but all you can think about are those awful commercials
You don’t want to end up dead. And you shouldn’t. Don’t text and drive…seriously.
4. You feel a little too cool picking up your friends
Pickin’ up the crew…in your mom’s car. Hell yeah.
5. You get freaked out every time you see a cop car
Sorry, this doesn’t really go away.
6. The freeway is still a little terrifying
Okay, very terrifying. What is merging? Why is everyone going so fast? What is merging?
7. Your parents don’t trust you. Ever.
This probably will only change slightly over time.
8. Traffic is a lot more terrible when you’re not chillin in the passenger seat
It’s like being in a comatose state for half an hour. Your brain just shuts off.
If you drive stick, you know this fear well.
10. Realizing that you don’t have someone to tell you if you’re too close to the curb
11. Coming to terms with your first roadkill
Or noticing someone else’s as you drive home. Ugh. Sorry, animal kingdom.
12. Always forgetting which side the gas tank is on
You’re convinced that you’re on the right side this time when you pull up…only to find out that you effed up once again.
13. You feel like you’re in a movie or TV show when your car is full of your friends
Who hasn’t felt like you’re in the intro of That ’70s Show? Admit it.
14. You’re convinced the car is going to die the second it hits the E for empty
Don’t worry, you’ve got a little more millage to burn, girl. But don’t get too cocky.
15. You see student drivers and you’re just like
Been there. Done that.
What was it like when you started driving for the first time? Do you still experience any of the above? Tell us in the comments!