Prom, the most hyped event of your high school career. Yeah, whatever.
My prom nights were, you know, okay. They weren’t the worst nights of my junior and senior year of high school, but they weren’t the best either. And, honestly, I’d be surprised if any of my friends thought that their prom night was the best night ever either. It’s the little moments that stick out in your mind that make high school memorable: Singing in the car with your friends, reading that one book in class that actually changes your life, talking to your crush for the first time…those stick out more to me than prom night.
I’m not saying that you can’t have an awesome prom night. I’m just saying that you shouldn’t get your expectations too high because, at the end of the day, it is a glorified school dance. You just roll up to it with a limo and a more expensive outfit.
Have as much fun as you can, girls, but here are 10 reasons why prom is super overrated.
1) You end up wasting money on a dress you will probably never wear again.
Trust me, even with the best of intentions, you probably won’t get many additional wears out of it.
2) Limos aren’t as exciting as they seem when you’re crammed inside of one with a dozen other people.
Especially if you can’t stand a few of your fellow passengers.
3) You’re hanging out with teachers on a weekend.
Which is fine as long as they don’t try to act too cool.
4) The music usually sucks.
You’ll probably hear “Cha-Cha Slide” at least twice.
5) And the dancing sucks, too.
If anyone even decides to dance at all.
6) The whole concept of a Prom King and a Prom Queen is so old-fashioned and annoying.
Let’s be real, it’s a big fat popularity contest. And a super hetero one, too. I’m actually really glad my school didn’t participate in that tradition.
7) Everyone is sort of waiting for the after party the whole time anyway.
That’s where things really go down.
8) And then when you arrive at after party you realize that it is just a debauchery fest.
And you find out a lot more than you ever needed to know about your fellow classmates. Yikes.
9) There’s all this unnecessary pressure for this night to be ultra meaningful and then you end up thinking you did prom wrong if it wasn’t the highlight of your high school career.
Don’t worry, it’s seriously okay if it isn’t.
10) You’ll probably end up super hungry by the time the festivities die down.
I don’t know…no matter how much food you’re fed you never end up eating as much as you want. Or maybe that was just me. I’m a hungry girl, okay?
Do you think that prom is overrated, too? Why or why not? Let us know in the comments!