I’ve been dealing with skin issues for what seems like an eternity at this point. I accepted the fact that I have adult acne and will likely continue struggling with my skin for a while. When I was younger, it made me extremely insecure. I still get self-conscious sometimes, but not nearly as much.
I won’t lie: having acne sucks. I wish I could wake up and be ***Flawless like Beyonce, but that’s just not how things are for me. I know that I’m taking good care of my skin and feel good about what I’m doing. Some days are better than others, and that’s life! Anyway, dealing with acne isn’t fun. And it’s even worse when people feel like they have the right to comment on your skin. You should never (never, ever) say these things to someone with acne:
1. “Have you tried ProActiv?”
The next time someone asks if I’ve tried ProActiv, I will lock them in a room and make them listen to Adam Levine talk about ProActiv on repeat.
2. “You should wash your face more.”
You should be aware that you have no knowledge of my skincare routine.
3. “Do you eat a lot of chocolate?”
Do you eat a lot of jerk?
4. “Ugh I’m breaking out.”
Really, where? Oh you mean that one blackhead on your nose? Stop talking.
5. “I’m so lucky I was just blessed with great skin.”
OMG WOW HOW GREAT FOR YOU!
6. “You’ll grow out of it!”
Well, that doesn’t help in the present. And acne isn’t just puberty-related for a lot of people.
7. “You should go to a dermatologist.”
What? I LITERALLY NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT. I’ve been seeing a dermatologist since I was, like, thirteen. Shut your face.
8. “[Insert treatment here] worked for my friend! You should try it!”
You should try not recommending things to me because you have no idea what you’re talking about!
9. “It’s just acne, I don’t get why it bothers you so much.”
Oh, okay. Let’s talk about how one of your insecurities isn’t a big deal then.
10. “Tanning really helped clear up my skin.”
You’re kidding, right? Do you know how bad tanning is for your skin? You might get cleared up in the short term, but tanning will actually cause you to break out more. Oh, and also skin cancer.
11. “Are you drinking enough water?”
Are you the aqua police?
12. “You’re probably breaking out because you wear makeup.”
You probably should stop telling me why my skin is doing what it does!
13. “I can’t even notice it though!”
But I notice it.
Do you have acne? What are some annoying things people have said to you? Tell us in the comments!