8 YA Books With Kickass Girls You Need To Read This Year

At 23-years-old, I still love me some YA novels. You would think “young adult” applies to young adults, but the stories are typically more coming of age oriented. However, I’m not ashamed and will not hide The Hunger Games in a blank dust jacket. Nope, I’ll read YA novels with pride because they’re awesome.

One of my favorite things about YA novels is that a lot of the more recent series don’t focus on romance. Not every book for girls needs to be about finding love, right? Right.

I mean, don’t get me wrong. I do enjoy the usual love triangle plot, but it’s really nice to see books about girls who aren’t focused on their love life. That’s not to say they don’t have a love life, but a guy isn’t their whole world. Instead, they’re focused on being awesome and kickass.

What are some of your favorite YA books with kickass girls? Do you have any recommendations? What are your favorite types of YA books? Tell us in the comments!

You need to read these books before they become movies this year!

Follow Gurl, pretty please!
Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Instagram

Posted in: Stuff We Heart
Tags: ,

1. avatar kristin says:

So i think you should read the Partials Sequence by Dan Wells.
    Its definitely about a girl who kicks as and fights for whats right.
    There is a love interest, and the triangle appears later in the series. But she’s all “i love you, but if i dont save the world there is no future”.

2. avatar Meredith says:

I’ve read almost all of these!
    Caitlin – you’re totally a ‘bluestocking’ after my own heart! Thanks for showcasing these awesome YA’s! :D

3. avatar Emily says:

I love the Alanna series! I read it first when I was twelve and I’ve reread the series multiple times in the years since then and I always get something new out it. All of Tamora Pierce’s books have really strong heroines and themes. Great if you love medieval-esque fantasy!

4. avatar Rianna says:

I literally cannot understand why the hunger games didn’t get included!?! It’s YA, and Katniss is the most kick-ass person I know. These are all great suggestions though and I’m gonna look at the library for them, but come on, hunger games!

• avatar Caitlin Corsetti says:

I mentioned it in the intro! I wanted to showcase series that aren’t as well known as The Hunger Games or that are newer, but it’s definitely a must-read!

5. avatar ZoZo says:

I recommend Out of the Easy and Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys. It looks like you lean towards fantasy novels, but, even though these are historical fiction, which is kind of the opposite of fantasy, I still highly recommend them. Between Shades of Gray is really famous and very well written, but I liked the story of Out of the Easy better, and it was a MUCH lighter read. And both are from the point of view of strong, teenage girls. Out of the Easy is set in New Orleans in the fifties, and it’s about this spunky girl’s adventures as she tries to escape her shameful past and go to college at Smith. Between Shades of Gray is about a girl from a Lithuania sent away from her home during the Soviet Union’s reign. Shades is definitely a shade darker (lol) but it’s definitely worth a read. Also, I’d just like to say that the Infernal Devices is far and away one of the best fantasy, steampunk series I’ve ever read. I like it even more than Mortal Instruments!

6. avatar Jillian says:

I started Clockwork Angel. So far, I’m interested. It’s definitely a good book.