Why You Need To Love Lorde

I heard a little tune called “Royals” a few months ago that I instantly fell in love with. I had no idea who sung it. But then I found out that this magical song hails from the mouth of a tiny, 16-year-old girl from New Zealand called Lorde.

Since then, I’ve been patiently waiting freaking out over the release of her first album. Well, my new favorite pop star released her first studio album, Pure Heroine, on September 27, 2013. I’ve been listening to it literally nonstop. I’m listening to it right now.

Anyway, as if I didn’t love her enough, homegirl dropped some serious wisdom in a recent interview with Metro Arts Auckland. Specifically, she dropped some wisdom on feminism and more specifically, on why Taylor Swift isn’t a great role model.

“Absolutely. Wholeheartedly,’ she says. ‘I think women who say, ‘No, I’m not a feminist — I love men,’ I think that is just… You don’t know what it means. You think it means that, ‘I don’t shave under my arms, I burn my bras. F— men!’ How could you be so uneducated, and so unwilling to learn about something which is so important to you?”

We’ve been trying to tell y’all this forever! Feminism is not about hating men or about not wearing a bra (even though sometimes they’re the worst). It’s about equality of all humans, no matter what your gender is. Props to Lorde, who’s birth name is Ella Yelich-O’Connor, for saying what everyone is so afraid to say: that it’s ignorant to not know what feminism really means.

At just sixteen, Lorde is incredibly self-aware and calculated. She isn’t even hugely famous yet and understands that no matter what, people look up to you when you’re a celebrity. I find that very refreshing.

“Taylor Swift is so flawless, and so unattainable, and I don’t think it’s breeding anything good in young girls. ‘I’m never going to be like Taylor Swift, why can’t I be as pretty as Lorde?’ That’s f—ing bull—,”

THANK YOU. Do I think Taylor Swift is a talented songwriter? Yes. Do I think she refuses to take responsibility for anything? Also yes. T-Swizz has made a living off being the victim, off having every guy she encounters somehow break her heart. Realistically, she uses guys just as much as she claims they use her. She’s made a career out of being immature as we’ve seen her mock her exes over and over. And that’s just not healthy.

I think it’s awesome to see a girl who’s sixteen recognize that. Lorde also recognizes that Taylor Swift and other artists perpetuate the idea that you can’t live without a man, quoting Lana del Ray’s Born To Die, “‘I will love you till the end of time/ I will wait a million years’. A lyric Ella quotes with disgust.”

Love is important and a big part of our lives, but there is this idea in music and society that you will fail or fall apart without a guy in your life. It’s not true! The sooner women acknowledge that, the better. You do not need someone else to make you who you are.

With her amazing music and awesome outlook on life, Lorde is officially on my “Stars To Watch” list. Fortunately, I don’t think she’s going anywhere.

Have you heard of Lorde? What do you think of her? What do you think about her comments? Tell us in the comments!

Y’all had comments we loved too! Check them out

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter!

Posted in: Celebrity Quotes & News
Tags: , ,

1. avatarElmo1128LOL says:

I <3 Lorde. I Think Her Songs Are Amazing. They Are So Full Of Meaning And They Are Deep. And I Think She's Really Unique And Pretty- I Absolutely Love Her Hair Lol. Love Her Songs Royals And Team! :)

2. avatarCora-chan38 says:

I totally agree with this. Girls who choose to disassociate themselves from feminism are basically saying “it’s okay for people to have lower expectations of me since my gender typically don’t do “something”", or that we are “biologically weaker.” To be a feminist means you’re against objectification of both genders, rape, genital mutilation, child marriage. Even if you don’t want to be a feminist I ask you at least check out these videos before formulating your opinion on the subject.

3. avatarAiyana says:

Feminism is about the equal treatment of all people, it doesn’t mean that you have to praise all women purely on the basis of being a woman. Lorde has opinions about Taylor Swift which she is allowed to have, and Taylor Swift has done a lot of things that don’t necessarily garner respect. Criticizing Taylor Swift’s behaviour and commending Lorde’s does not make one more or less of a feminist, it makes them a critical thinker.

Read more: http://www.gurl.com/2014/02/07/annoying-things-only-girls-with-big-butts-will-understand-gifs/#ixzz2t4zav02x

4. avatarBella says:

“Fortunately, I don’t think she’s going anywhere” ?? Doesn’t that line kinda contradict what great things you’ve said about her? And if you suddenly changed your view, isn’t that a bit harsh to say?

• avatarSelina says:

She means, she doesn’t think she’s going to like disappear off the face of the earth. She’s going to stay where she is and grow as a celebrity and artist.

5. avatarDioni says:

Lana del Ray’s song : I will love…………./i will wait…………. is called “Blue Jeans ” not Born to Die !!!!

6. avatarErin Leigh says:

It may be “ignorant” not to know what feminism really means, but this article (and this whole site really) implies that if you do know what it means, then OF COURSE you’re going to be one, which is so annoying. I have a right not to associate myself with feminism.

7. avatarSarah says:

You know what else feminism means? It means empowering women. You know who’s a woman? Taylor Swift. How do you expect the world to treat everyone, regardless of gender, equally, if YOU can’t treat Lorde and Taylor Swift equally? Please take a step back and recognize how hypocritical this whole thing sounds. I love Lorde, and I hope to God she wouldn’t condone the way you talk about Taylor.

8. avatarAshley says:

of course you found another excuse to bash Taylor Swift… very mature.

9. avatarAurora says:

I’m only 11 but I’m a total indie girl. The music I listen to none of my friends know because they’re stuck listening to Carlie Ray Jepson and PSY. I love Lorde and if you do too, I strongly recommend Sia, Lisa Mitchell, Regina Spector, Icona Pop and Feist. Those artist have some awesome indie tunes to just dance to like Bring Night, Bless This Mess, All The Rowboats, I Love It and My Moon My Man.
    For your sake, check them out!

10. avatarTayy says:

I just wish you guys would find another scapegoat other then Taylor Swift. I understand what y’all are saying and everything, but please. Its really making me sick. We get it about Taylor Swift. Pick someone else as an example not her. Y’all have really made her seem like some mean, selfish, sick person; when in reality we don’t know who she is. Music is capitalism, an industry, and if songs about ex boyfriends sell, she’s going to keep making them. So maybe focus on the fact that girls think thats ok for regular life and not her making money.

11. avatarChristina says:

Oh my goodness! Finally, someone who knows her! When I first heard Royals I knew I was in love. The only thing I hate is that NO ONE knows that she has OTHER songs! Bravado, 400 Lux, A World Alone, Glory and Gore, The Love Club, and Million Dollar Bills are my favorite songs by her. AND THATS NOT EVEN IT! And she is like, flawless. Her hair=asdfghjkl!!!! Its so amazing at 16 years old, someone can sound so pure and enchanting. Its obvious she doesn’t need or use autotune. I love her 100%!!!!!!!!!!

12. avatarLaura says:

OMG !! Finally someone who loves lorde as much as I do !!!!

13. avatarYuiGyaruRamen says:

She is beautiful and amazing!! :D I love her CD. She’s just…like i can’t even….I think I might have a crush. xD