I Don’t Really Like Drinking Alcohol And It Makes Me Feel Like An Outcast

In a world where drinking enough to blow a .341 (that’s A LOT) is basically applauded, I have always stood out as someone who doesn’t really like to drink alcohol that much. Despite a few years in college where I let my wild side come out, I have never been a big drinker – even now, when I’m old enough to do so legally. All of my peers, who take every opportunity they have to get wasted, don’t understand this. And while I’m okay with the fact that I don’t really drink, no one else ever really is. To be honest… it kind of makes me feel like an outcast.

Alcohol has just never really interested me that much. Sure, in high school I drank once in a while – but that was mainly because everyone else was doing it and I didn’t want to feel left out. Then I started dating a straight edge dude who didn’t drink at all and I rarely touched the stuff for the next four years of my life. Like I said, I had my phase in college, but once that passed, I was just kind of over it. Now I barely ever drink and when I do, it’s only a very little bit. I am constantly disappointing my friends by turning down free shots or declining that third drink or shaking my head when they ask, “Are you drunk yet?” I get it, I’m a party pooper. To that I say, sorry I’m not sorry.

There are a lot of reasons I’m not into drinking and even though it’s really no one else’s business, I always feel the need to explain myself. Most people don’t understand why I don’t do it very often. So, I guess I’ll explain here.

I still remember the very first time I got drunk. I was 14-years-old and my parents went away for the weekend. I had a little party, drank maybe two beers and proceeded to say ridiculous things and eventually fall over a two foot fence in front of everyone. The next morning, I woke up slightly confused and very agitated. I had found that being drunk made me feel completely out of control. I hated it.

I’m no perfectionist, but I am someone who enjoys having control over every situation I find myself in. I’m shy, quiet and reserved and I don’t like making a fool out of myself by saying or doing stupid things that I can’t take back. Being drunk makes me act like a completely different person. I become the girl who will talk and flirt with anyone. I say things I would never normally say. I (try to) dance in public. I take endless pictures where I stick my tongue out like it’s cute. And the whole time, I feel like I have no control over what I’m doing because being drunk makes me feel like I don’t care. But when I wake up a few hours later, sober, I do care.

Some people love that alcohol makes them act like a different person. I know a lot of people who rely on alcohol to have a good time and let loose, because without it, they can’t. I was one of those people, for a little while when I was in college. I spent a few years enjoying the fact that I could let myself do silly things once in a while. But that quickly passed and I realized that I actually didn’t like it… I had my fun, but at the end of the day, it stopped being fun and just got old.

anna kendrick gif

Basically.

Even when I was into drinking, I was really a terrible drinker. I was too anxious all the time! I am the kind of person who over-thinks every single thing I do. I care about consequences. I worry way, way too much. I can’t just down six beers and two shots like it’s no big deal. Every time I drink, I spend the entire time reminding myself not to mix different kinds of alcohol. I stress over how I’m going to feel in the morning. I think about how I’m going to get home. Basically, I just think too much and it kind of takes the fun out of drinking.

The other thing I hate about getting drunk? The hangovers the next day. There are few things worse than a really bad hangover and I will do anything I can to avoid them – even if that means avoiding alcohol all together. I hate feeling sick to my stomach. I hate feeling like I can’t move out of my bed. I cannot stand waking up in the morning with a pounding headache and only fuzzy memories of what happened. For me, getting drunk isn’t worth feeling that crappy for an entire day. Yeah, I had fun the night before, but the next day I’m completely out of commission.

Sometimes it feels like I’m the only one who feels this way. All of my friends love to drink so much that they actually tend to get mad at me when I won’t drink with them. When I go out and strangers offer to buy me shots, they give me weird looks when I say, “no thanks.”  These reactions are a big part of the reason I rarely go out partying anymore. I hate looking like the grandma in a group of people who are all slurring their words and saying things to me that make no sense. And I really hate when people make me feel like an alien for being sober.

Look, I have nothing against people who like to drink. You want to get wasted? Go ahead (as long as your legal, girls). I don’t judge people for that stuff. So I really, really don’t appreciate it when people give me a problem for my choice not to drink. I mean, I drink once in a while, I just don’t like doing it all the time – and no one can understand that. It is so frustrating to me that it bothers other people so much. Why can’t you just let me do what I want without making me feel bad about it?

I guess that if enjoying being sober makes me weird, then I like being weird. I love a good night out with my girls every once in a while, but for the most part, I like staying in. I’m not ashamed of that and I’m not afraid to say no to people when they try to pressure me to drink, but I would like it if everyone could just get off my back. Just because it feels like most of the people aged 16-30 want to be wasted half their lives doesn’t mean all of us do. You do you and I’ll do me, okay? Thanks.

Do you feel the same way I do? Are you a big drinker? Do you think I’m weird? Tell me in the comments.

Weed vs. Alcohol: Which Is More Dangerous?

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter

Posted in: Beliefs
Tags: ,

1. avatarjvg says:

Personally, I don’t need alcohol to do silly things! I can act like a fool, dance, laugh, and still have perfect reflexes. Then I can drive my drunk friends home and try to keep them from puking on their clothing. Fun times!

2. avatarNik says:

Wow wow. Hi I just finished reading this and I feel exactly the same and only a selected few will understand that. Especially the over thinking thing.

3. avatarAimee says:

Yes!! Thankyou for this post, like so many others before me reading this, I came across this after Googling ‘am I weird for not liking alcohol?’. Glad to know I’m not alone, very much the opposite.

4. avatarJacob says:

Woo! There are people like me! I prefer to play video games, exercise, or just watch Netflix with my girlfriend. I don’t even like being around drunk people. Makes me uncomfortable because honestly, I can’t know who they are when they are like that. Everyone just wants to fit in, and I’m too straight-laced and hold to my convictions too much to do that

5. avatarlaura says:

I feel exactly the same!!! I am 23 and I would prefer a night in with sweets, chocolate, popcorn and a film! I hate being drunk, I hate the way it makes me feel and I don’t care at all for the taste! I enjoy having the odd night out with girlfriends but even then I can’t wait to get home! Xx

6. avatarOlmed says:

I never drank regularly but I had very much the same type of changes as you described. And I did not care. Not until an episode of “fun” that instead turned into a wake up call.

In the end I realized what a potential hazard alcohol could be and today I find nothing attractive about it. The longer you stay off the booze the more absurd drinking seems.

But the social pressure and alcohols position in modern society can sometimes make you stand out when you choose to decline the “holy grail”.

Totally agree about you view on hangovers, what a waste.

Today I am teetotal and for the right reasons. Definitively the best choice for me. My friend respect my choice.

7. avatarthisgirl says:

I am also not a big fan of drinking, yea sometimes it is nice to go out and have a drink or two, but most times i go out and absolutely have to desire to drink whatsoever,which my friends are used to by now. but sometimes i wish i did enjoy drinking more, i feel like i may be missing out on something, maybe it hits me differently than others or maybe i’m just weird. I am all for having a good time but going to the bars and getting shitfaced isn’t my idea of one.

8. avatarJemma says:

I hope this doesn’t come across in a mean way, but I am SO glad I came across this page. Just now I was starting to feel really down and almost upset about the same issue. I am 19 years old, and an undergraduate University student. All of my friends enjoy drinking, and I feel awful because I turn down every invitation. I know that if I go out they will all go their separate ways to meet different guys (this is not an assumption, it’s true) and that is not what I want to do. I think my friends think I am this way because my long term boyfriend of 2 years also does not like drinking, but I have always been this way. I am happy to have a couple of pints, but I do not aim to get drunk. Like you, I have been before, and I HATED not being in control of my body. I feel like the only one who feels this way, so I am happy that someone else feels this way too. You have made me feel better about myself. :-)

9. avatarLeanne says:

I actually came across this while Googling if it was weird for not liking to get drunk. Glad to see that there are others in the same boat.

10. avatarTuğba says:

Absolutel right!
    I dont drink . and now I m going to erasmus, I wonder how it gonna be for me without alcohol !

11. avatarMelissa says:

I am the exact same! When I do go out I enjoy it but the hangover the next day is just not worth it! It makes me feel unsociable and weird because I don’t know anyone else like this but I felt better reading this blog

12. avatarToffee says:

I just had to explain this to several coworkers last night while they tried to get me drunk and pour me shots… Thank you for making me feel like I am not alone.

13. avataranothergal says:

exactly how I feel!

14. avatarADP says:

Thank You For Having The Courage To Speak Out. I Am A Male An Came Across This Article When Looking Up Seldom Drinking.

I Have Been Old Enough To Drink For Quite Sometime. I Never Drank Before Being ‘Legally Acceptable’. I Fact I Didn’t Have My First Taste Of Alcohol Until Was In My Mid/ Late 20s.

I Very Seldom Drink; In The Last 10 Years I’ve Had No More Than 10 Drinks Combined. For Example; In The Last 6 Months I Have Had A Guiness Milkshake – For My 32 Birthday ( Which Was Quite Good & Everyone Was Shocked That Not Only Did I Order It, But Finished It ). Than A Few Months Back I Had 2 7oz. Coors Light… And That Is It!

I Have Never Been Peer-Pressured Into Anything. If I Ever Had “Friends” Who Did That – They Wouldn’t Be My Friends Any Longer. I Do, However; Worry About My Closest Friends And Thier Drinking. They Do Get Drunk And Have Hangovers & What Not. Sometimes The Worriness Consumes Me And I Hate It.

It’s Hard Being The Outsider… Trust Me I Know ( Didn’t Step Into My First Bar Until This Past Year ).

15. avatarEmily says:

Thanks for this! You put into words all the things I want to tell my friends when they try to get me drunk. I appreciate it.

16. avatarMike says:

I’ve seen drink destroy people and personally drink alters my personality drastically and in the past I was that bad with drink that I lost friends, I was a binger. at 19 I decided I couldn’t carry on that way and cut back a lot. These days i drink probably twice a year, I don’t understand why people work a week to drink there capital income over the weekend. Give me a book, a video game, £30 spent in one weekend at a bar can pay a months gym membership which is probably one of the best investments a person can make. Personally I’d rather have a month at the gym lifting bars than sitting at them ;).

17. avatarNick says:

Will you marry me? lol

18. avatarB.G. says:

Hey,

I’m a guy (22 y.o.) from Europe and I don’t drink. Most of my friends (both male and female) enjoy getting wasted but I just find it pointless and immature. Of course, I’m under a lot of pressure to start drinking by many of my peers, who also make me feel like a total outcast but I just don’t care. Don’t give in to the pressure and trust me that you’re not the only one. :)

• avatarOlmed says:

Misery loves company, no reason to give in to pressure if you haven’t already. Congrats for standing up for yourself.

19. avatarshanika says:

Omg I am completely the same! I have a big phobia of throwing up and I’ve never been properly drunk but I’m afraid to do it in case I’m a proper lightweight and throw up! All of my friends can do it no big deal and I totally feel like an outcast too! I think there’s alwayd the sober one that looks after everyone in the group and I’m pretty sure thats me!

• avatarAnna says:

@shanika
      I have a phobia of throwing up too, but especially seeing other people vomit. I almost never drink, but my phobia isn’t the main reason. I just think it’s not really necessary, I don’t need it.
      Apparently, all of my friends do, because they all love it. It makes me feel like an idiot, and they often try to make me drink. I keep saying no, but I see that look on their faces. Like I’m some sort of alien. I just see no point in drinking so much you are not able to remember what you did, and ending up the next morning with no money and a headache. Of course, if people want to spend their weekends like that, it’s alright, but I wish they would just accept and respect the opinion of people who don’t want to drink. We still exist ;)

(I’m sorry, I’m from Europe so my English is not entirely correct)