From The Message Boards: I Like My Cousin

Sometimes you might be at a family function with some distantly related people and think that someone you’re related to is kinda cute. That’s all good and fine. I mean, they’re related to you, how could they not be attractive? But what are you supposed to do when you’re actually attracted to someone, like your cousin?

This week on the message boards, y’all are discussing what you should do if you like your cousin:

SweetSahara said:
“No. No, no, no. This is so wrong. Stop now before you actually do something with this guy, he is your COUSIN.”

keepitstoked said:

“I wouldn’t say it’s ‘wrong’. It’s not like you guys are siblings, but, however, it is odd. I don’t advise it because being family it could turn out bad or cause resentment and you don’t want to ruin your current relationship, do you? Flirting is perfectly fine, and fun, for that matter. Don’t take it a step too far and risk losing what you have now.”

Fleur_Kalliope said:

“Actually, it’s not considered incest between cousins. There is a very, very low chance of birth defects, and most US states legally allow first cousins to get married.

That being said, I don’t advise a relationship between cousins. I was… “involved” with my step-cousin for a while a year ago, and I can say that it is the most stressful thing I have ever experienced.”

Yikes, this is such a tricky one, y’all. On one hand, I get it. When I was a kid, I had a crush on my older cousin. But at the time, I didn’t quite understand the concept that he was also related to me. When I was older and found out that I had been crushing on my own bloodline, I freaked out.

It’s true that dating your cousin is legal in some US states. But, regardless of the legality of it, dating or hooking up with your cousin will likely cause a huge mess. I mean, you’re family! If it ends, it’s going to be really awkward at family reunions. Think about how this situation will affect your whole family. That’s quite a big risk to take when you could be with someone who isn’t your cousin.

And when it comes down to it, you’re still related. By blood. Unless this is a step cousin, twice removed or something, I think it’s best to avoid flirting and having any non-family relations with your cousin.

Have you ever had a crush on your cousin? What did you do about it? Tell us in the comments!

Need advice on a different topic? Do you have a story you want to share? Post your own thoughts and questions in our boards and start chatting with other girls.

Get some great advice on being a freshman in high school

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter!

Posted in: Boards, Health, Sex & Relationships
Tags: , , ,

1. avatar Yung1 says:

Is it bad when you date more than once and you kiss a few times he was your first kiss is it bad im getting judge for that call names for that first of all im not allowed to date but i creep on the low and was kissing on his birthday we just got back together not to long ago i feel like dateing a cousion is makeing me unto a whore or slut what should i do

2. avatar LittleTiff15 says:

I’ve had sex with one of my cousins and it was fine. I do agree that if we were dating or thinking about getting married or having kids it might get a bit weird, but in my case we were just really attracted to each other (he’s super hot) and decided to have some fun.

I don’t see how it;s any worse (if not better) than if I met some random stranger at a bar and went home with him.

3. avatar hoodstarkid says:

Im dating my cuzin and its not so bad but smetmes it feels knda awkward whn i thnk of the the situation tht we are in but whn im wth her im happy n thn i dnt feel the way whn im thnkng abt the stuation!!so go ahead dte your cuzin if u lve her its nt so bad but dnt take a step further…

4. avatar Sandy_Melville says:

hey guys, idk if you’ve have heard about this, but i came across this new tv project that’s looking for cousins in love, and it sounds really chill, like they won’t judge or anything. you can email them your info and tell them your cousin romance story: cousins@lescasting.com
    you can always message me too and i can send you the info. i mean, love is love, right?