From The Message Boards: I Need Advice On Being A Freshman In High School

Back-to-school season is officially here, and a lot of you are just starting high school. That’s super exciting! But I know it’s also kind of scary, and you’re probably really nervous. That’s okay, I was too! In fact, we all were. Going to high school can be really daunting, especially as an incoming freshman.

This week on the message boards, y’all are discussing advice for your freshman year:

india4 said:

“I was a freshman, now a sophomore, and I say that you will realize who you want to become. You’ll start the journey of finding yourself. Get involved in activities to meet people and network. Study, use time management. Avoid senior and junior boys. Do not date them, it won’t be serious. I highly suggest just flirting. You will be overwhelmed, it’s a transitional year. Talk to teachers after class if you want more info in the course, some may actually like you. Get a planner and write down all homework and future projects.”

HearMeRoar said:

“I would say definitely get involved in sports or activities. Don’t spread any rumors or make any drama.”

SuperBandGeek said:
“Do your work, get involved. Don’t try to be popular, and don’t get caught up in drama. It’s just high school. Just find who your friends are and stick with it. You will be confused (Hell, I still am) but don’t let it get in your way.”

fading said:
“I’m going to be a sophomore this year. Honestly, freshman year was a huge personal journey for me. I began to find out who I was/wanted to be and I changed tremendously. My advice is join lots of clubs so you can meet new people, concentrate on your schoolwork and grades because they’re really important (especially if you want to get into a good college), and take some chances, have fun. High school goes by really quickly my freshman year felt like it was only 5 minutes long so make sure you make it memorable.”

I remember being so nervous going into my freshman year! I already had a tough year in eighth grade because I was the new girl, and then I had to transition again as a freshman when we moved up to high school. That was a lot to handle in a short period of time. Since my middle school fed directly into my high school, I fortunately got to transition with my friends so that was helpful.

But even though I was going into my freshman year with my group of friends, I was still nervous and worried about what to do. You definitely want to get involved in whatever you can, whether it’s sports, clubs or other extra curricular activities. It looks great when you’re applying for college, and it’ll help you meet people and feel like you’re a part of the school community.

I also highly recommend focusing on school. Your freshman grades DO matter so you want to make sure you’re doing your work and studying hard. Get to know your teachers so you feel comfortable asking for help if you start struggling with a class.

The most important thing to remember is to just be yourself! Don’t worry about what the seniors will think of you and focus on figuring out who you are. Freshman year is not as scary as you think, I promise.

Are you an incoming freshman? Are you nervous? What advice do you have for anyone starting high school? Tell us in the comments!

Need advice on a different topic? Do you have a story you want to share? Post your own thoughts and questions in our boards and start chatting with other girls.

How do you know if you like or love someone?

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter!

Posted in: Boards, Your Life
Tags: ,

1. avatarCandy says:

I am currently a junior in High School. Honestly, the best advice I could give is to not let drama enter your life. You’ll know who’s good company and who’s bad company. Stay away from the bad ones, they’re nothing but delusional fun.

Turn in all your assignments on time and put forth your best effort; don’t be shy and ask your teacher questions if necessary; associate with the administration and get on their ‘good’ list because you’re definitely going to need them at some point; get involved in activities you enjoy so that you can meet people with similar interests.

The years fly by, you’ll see. Good luck :)

2. avatarKate says:

I’m going to start high school this year…and I’m kind of scared, but I’m excited as well :) Though I hardly know anyone and I’m not exactly at my best in interacting with other human beings, but I think it’s going to be fun :) Thank you for posting the tips, I’ll send the link around! :)

3. avatarbasschick says:

Ah…. freshman year. :) You are going to make many mistakes in the social department, trust me. but that is OK. :) I had the wrong group of friends when I first got to high school. they were mean to me and other people. Friends? Not exactly. Through tough heartache, I dropped them and found a whole new group of friends that stuck through me the rest of high school. They were great! Now in college I am close to only 3 of the big group… 3 that I was not super super super close to in the beginning of high school. You really find yourself and change in high school. Do not be to nervous, and have fun. :)

4. avatarGiselle says:

I’m going to be a Freshman this year. I just went to orientation today. I was sooo nervous but I saw some friends from my middle school and started to get more comfortable. I made a few new friends, too. I’m less nervous now. My tour guides were juniors and I got to see how cool they were and how they are just like us just older. :)

5. avatarNicole says:

I going into High school ! And I’m really nervous , I was really quiet in middle school . I didn’t talk to anybody…. I just hope that doesn’t happen again. These tips, Help me a little ! Thank you for posting them

6. avatarkay says:

Freshman year was horrible for me. I went from a middle school in a small town to a high school in a big city meaning I didn’t go into high school with any of my friends. It was hard for me to make friends because the freshmans were spilt up into two different groups that had every one of their classes together. I hated the group I was in, most of the girls were loud, obnoxious, and not too friendly. I only had one class which was gym with the other group so I only made friends with some of them by joining an after school group. Also the upperclassmen rarely notice you, it’s like you’re invisible to them so no need to worry about them.