Confession: I Really Like Robin Thicke’s New Song “Blurred Lines”

I’m sure you’ve heard Robin Thicke’s new song called “Blurred Lines” by now. It’s been everywhere, complete with a super sexed-up music video with naked women walking around.

And it’s also been under humongous controversy because of the lyrics and title. The song has been dubbed “misogynistic” and “rapey” by countless listeners.

Some of the lyrics in question are:
And that’s why I’m gon’ take a good girl
I know you want it
I know you want it
I know you want it
You’re a good girl

Robin Thicke responded to BBC’s Radio 1 question regarding the criticism, “I can’t even dignify that with a response, that’s ridiculous.” But continued, “I don’t want to be sleazy, I’m a gentleman, I’ve been in love with the same woman since I’ve been a teenager. I don’t want to do anything inappropriate.” Thicke’s wife, Paula Patton, apparently pushed him to do the song and video and approves of everything.

He spoke to GQ about the song and video last month saying, “We tried to do everything that was taboo. Bestiality, drug injections, and everything that is completely derogatory towards women. Because all three of us are happily married with children, we were like, ‘We’re the perfect guys to make fun of this.’

People say, ‘Hey, do you think this is degrading to women?” I’m like, ‘Of course it is. What a pleasure it is to degrade a woman. I’ve never gotten to do that before. I’ve always respected women.’ So we just wanted to turn it over on its head and make people go, ‘Women and their bodies are beautiful. Men are always gonna want to follow them around.’”

As you can imagine, his comments have not made people very happy. In fact, he’s made a lot of people, men and women, very upset. Yes, the title is suspect and the lyrics are a little…well, in the same vein of the “asking for it” mentality.

Every fiber in my feminist being is telling me to hate this song and to boycott it to no end. But y’all. I love this song. I can’t stop listening to it. I’m listening to it right now while dancing in my seat.

We’re not dealing with a Rick Ross situation where there are lyrics about drugging a woman. I know that the idea of “blurred lines” is creepy and makes you cock your head like a sweet, confused little puppy. BUT, hear me out, the song to me is more about letting women be sexual creatures and having power over men.

If the lyrics were “I know you want it, so I’m gonna take it anyway,” then I would be outraged. However, those aren’t the lyrics and the beat is amazing and dancing to this song is super fun and I am going to keep listening to it.

What do you think of the song? Are you offended by it? Do you think it’s rapey? Tell us in the comments!

Does carrying condoms make you slutty?

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter!

Posted in: Discuss
Tags: , ,

1. avatar Rachel says:

I love the song, it’s so catchy. To me, I never could tell what was so offensive about the lyrics anyway, but I think it’s a harmless enough song, and he seems like an alright guy.

2. avatar Andrea says:

I think is meant to be joke he meant no harm is catchy and danceable I think is stupid how feminist attack is not meant to be serious and a good song

• avatar Cat says:

It is a catchy song and I love Robin Thicke but he said it was suppose to empower women. Women have come a long way to prove their abilities in the work place especially. A joke is fine but the women in the original video are butt naked. I’m no feminist either but I think a lot of women including myself are aware of the amount of work women have been doing to be able to be taken serious in society these days and this song is just ignorant. There are certain ways to make jokes, this and his miley cyrus stunt performance blew all my respect for him though. He’s a grown ass man and I don’t understand why he has to degrade women in the same presence as he’s disrespecting himself and his beautiful wife, eh hem ex. Hint.

3. avatar Jeanette says:

I love it , I heard it on XFactor the other week, thought Robin Thicke was gorgeous and the song really good , catchy! don’t know any of the words ,
    My daughter commented he wasn’t a nice man???? And I shouldn’t like it.
    There’s no accounting for taste as they say, but honestly I would not condone any
    Wrongdoing, kids are much more desensetized these days ,so they don’t find it so shocking

4. avatar Sarah says:

‘Blurred Bynes’ by DWV is better.

5. avatar Larissa says:

Love this song. I think that the lyrics are fine , awesome beats and cute sheep and dog.

6. avatar Ailis says:

well that how he want’s his video to be like.I’m not offended but if some people like that song or some kid is wandering on YouTube they are gunna see it idunno what to say!

7. avatar hmmmm says:

I completely agree with Denise it’s just fun to listen to

8. avatar Denise says:

I LOVE this song. I don’t even listen to the words. The groove is enough to make me fall in love with it. A lot of songs now a days talk about sex, drugs and male dominance, so why are we hating this one song just because it has all these things in it at the same time? Get real people, look at the bigger picture.