Is It Okay To Masturbate When You’re On Your Period?

Hi Heather,

I have sort of a weird question that I’m scared to ask anyone else. Is it okay to masturbate when you’re on your period? Am I gross if I do it? And since there’s all that blood down there, is it unhealthy? Plus, how do you even do it?

Good news: it’s totally, totally fine to masturbate while you’re on your period. If you’re comfortable with it, it’s not gross and as long as you’re clean about things, it’s not unhealthy.

In fact, masturbating during your period is probably a big benefit to you. When you have your period, all of these crazy hormonal things are happening to your body and these hormones can make you even more in the mood, if you catch my drift. So, you probably feel extra, um, cravings to masturbate during this time anyway. Masturbation can also help relieve painful cramps from your period. And if you have mood swings, pleasuring yourself has been proven to make you feel happy and to help get rid of stress (read more about what masturbation does here). I see nothing but good things here!

I mean, yes, a masturbation session during your period may end up being more messy than masturbating when you’re not on your period. There’s blood down there so that makes sense, right? I would suggest laying down a few old towels before you get busy and, of course, washing your hands when you’re done. If you don’t feel like cleaning anything up, you can also try sitting on the toilet so things are more manageable.

As for how to do it, try stimulating your clitoris rather than doing anything vaginally. If you masturbate by stimulating your clitoris, you can keep a tampon in, which will help with the mess. If you don’t want to stick your fingers in there, you can try using sex toys, but make sure you don’t already have a tampon in your vagina – in fact, if you plan on putting anything inside of your vagina, make sure there is no tampon in there at all.

So, yes, masturbating while on your period is perfectly fine and totally normal. Don’t let anyone make you feel weird about doing it (you don’t even have to tell anyone!). This is your body and there’s nothing wrong with exploring it, even if things get a little messy. After all, this is just your blood we’re talking about here. No big deal!

take care,
Heather

What’s on your mind? Heather can help! Send her your question at heather@gurl.com

My 7th grade teacher made me afraid to masturbate

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter

Posted in: Help Me Heather, Love Advice
Tags: , ,

1. avatarLily says:

I’ve been on my period for 18 days now because I started using a new form of birth control. The Nexplanon implant. Will masturbating help stop my period in this case?? I hate my period. I need it to end like, now!

2. avatarScared says:

I’m still a little scared… I dont want to make it much of a mess

3. avatarLeigh says:

I am actually on my period and masterbating is helping relieve the pains believe it or no

4. avatarCammie says:

You are so helpful! Thank you so much!!!!!

5. avatarCharliepie says:

The best way if possible is if you have a vibrating massage thing, you can hold it over your clit while wearing underpants or even pants and it will make for the cleanest orgasm ever.

6. avataranon says:

The thing about relieving period cramps is so true!! I have really bad cramps the first couple of days, and orgasming sort of relaxes everything down there.

7. avatarGina says:

I am 18 and I masturbate every day during my period. It relaxes me and my BF loves to watch and then he masturbates (with my help – hand and mouth) and the experience is fantastic!! I love to watch him masturbate and I love to help! Magnificent!

8. avatarIt's O.K. says:

I only do on the first day, but I always ache in a really weird way afterwards so I don’t do anything for the other days.

9. avatarleunia says:

i actually bleed more when i do that so i dont do it

10. avatarLovely says:

Masturbation actually feels better when I’m on my period.

11. avatarpinkheart says:

I do it on my period. Its not something I do every time but it is more than I probably want to admit. I still have great orgasms from doing it, but there are times when I just dont want to do it or even think about it during certain times on my period.

• avatarGina says:

I always masturbate during my period and I don’t mind admitting it! It is fun! I have wonderful orgasms and my BF likes to watch. He even enjoys having intercourse with me during my period! We don’t faint at the sight of blood!