10 Things You Should Never Say To Single People

Communication can be hard and sometimes we say the wrong thing, whether we mean to or not. But as a general rule, there are a few things you should avoid saying so that your friends don’t turn against you. For example: there are just some things you should never say to single people, plain and simple.

Look, I know you’re just trying to help. I know you’re happy in your relationship and you just want your friend to find someone and be happy also. I know that you probably have good intentions and you’re just trying to give some advice and do the right thing. But if you say any of these things, just… stop. Just stop. These 10 statements can very easily come off as condescending, causing that single person you’re talking to to start fuming.

I may be in a relationship right now, but I was single for a while before I met my boyfriend and whenever someone said one of these things to me, I would just grit my teeth and try to put on a happy face, while cursing the person out in my head. So, just… be careful with your choice of words. And do all of your single friends a favor and avoid these:

“It will happen when you least expect it.”

what not to say to single people

Source: Tumblr.com

UGH. Why don’t you just say, “you should stop trying so hard?” And please God, do not start with your story about how you met the last five guys you dated.

“Wow, how many bad dates have you been on?”

what not to say to single people

Source: Tumblr.com

Wow… you’re rude. And that’s the last time you hear any of my hilarious date stories.

“Maybe you should stop being so picky.”

what not to say to single people

Source: Tumblr.com

Oh, lower my standards so I can settle for someone I don’t even really like that much just so I can say I have a boyfriend? Yeah, sounds like a great idea.

“Have you met anyone lately?”

what not to say to single people

Source: Tumblr.com

Nope, still single. Why don’t you just remind me again? Oh, and if I did and it meant something, don’t you think you would have heard about it?

“Have you tried…”

what not to say to single people

Source: Tumblr.com

Whatever you’re about to say, stop. I’m capable of figuring out to meet someone on my own, thanks.

“There are plenty of fish in the sea!”

what not to say to single people

Source: Tumblr.com

Yes, thank you for reminding me. I’m happy to at least know that there are great guys/girls out there that I’m simply just not meeting.

“Aw, you’ll find someone soon.”

what not to say to single people

Source: Tumblr.com

Thank you for assuming I’m unhappy just because I’m not in a relationship at the moment.

“I miss being single… sometimes.”

what not to say to single people

Source: Tumblr.com

How sweet. That almost makes me feel better, that you sometimes miss it.

“You just haven’t found the right person yet.”

what not to say to single people

Source: Tumblr.com

Oh, is THAT what the problem is? Thank you so much, I never realized.

“You just need to put yourself out there.”

what not to say to single people

Source: Tumblr.com

Um… where exactly? Also, how do you know I’m not doing everything I can right now?

And the number one, absolute worst thing to say…

“Why are you still single?!”

what not to say to single people

Source: Tumblr.com

Gee, I don’t know. Why am I still single? Maybe this is supposed to be meant as a compliment, but if I knew why I was still single, I probably wouldn’t still be single. GO AWAY.

Which of these statements is the worst, in your opinion? Has anyone ever said these to you? What else did I miss? Tell me in the comments.

9 tips on how to be single

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter

Posted in: Discuss
Tags: , ,

1. avatar Alex says:

Let’s be honest. Anyone who says they enjoy being single is lying. Sure, when you sit in your room alone drinking a glass of wine, you can tell yourself, “Man I love being free.” Then when you go out to the mall with your buddies and see all these couples your age left and right walking hand in hand you start to realize how lonely you are, and when you get back home during the evening, it’s all you think about until you go to bed. I’ll say it again. Nobody enjoys being single.

2. Pingback: Things you don’t say to couples with few or no kids | MrsF3 and Family – Live, Love, and Learn

3. avatar kathy says:

Yep I am an old married woman who happens to know a number of single women of all ages. So please what do we say? Is not referring to their single state at all the best course?

4. avatar Lovisa says:

“There are plenty of fish in the sea!”

Yeah.. I’m just a terrible fisher

5. avatar ShaunaMahana says:

My worst one is whenever I see a guy I wanted to date when he was single, and who is now married. Usually he says “Man, why didn’t we ever date?? It would have been fun!”……well I wanted to at one point, but thanks for bringing it up. And if you’re bringing it up in an attempt to see if i’d be up for a little affair, FORGET IT! You snoozed, you lost.

6. avatar Jardiie says:

Yes, I really agreed to that. It really makes me sick whenever my besties use those sentences to me.

7. avatar Blopp says:

Dude, just stop whining about being single and people wouldn’t have to come up with stupid things like this to say…
    I’m not single now, but I have been, A LOT, and if you don’t whine about it people don’t say anything. Don’t read so much into what people say, they probably don’t care if you are single or not as long as you’re happy, so stop whining.

8. avatar Anne says:

Personally, I don’t think any of these things are offensive or annoying except
    “aw, you’ll find someone soon.”
    Bitch who said that I’m worried? All because I’m single at the moment doesn’t mean I’m depressed or desperate.
    “you just need to put yourself out there.”
    Ummm do you think I’m dumb? How else am I supposed to find someone if I don’t “put myself out there”? You really think I’m one of those dumb people that just sit around waiting for things to happen to me? Ugh.
    “Oh ill find someone for you”
    No. Please. Don’t. I’m not desperate, who said I NEED a guy, or that bad at least. what happens, happens. I’m not going to make myself like someone. Plus, this gets me even more frustrated to why I don’t have a boyfriend because then I start thinking that it’s hard just for me and I start blaming myself.
    But yeah these are the only ones that annoy me. I think that your reading wayyyyyy too much into it, when people say that, they actually mean it. Plus they wouldn’t be saying it as much if you weren’t complaining so if you stopped then it won’t be annoying.

9. avatar SuperAnnoyedCat says:

Messing around with one of you’re friends which YOU have no attraction to, and having some one say “I think you’d make a great couple” Is by far one of the most annoying things i’ve ever heard, even though this isn’t just annoying to singles i’m sure, but that and saying that your deserve a boyfriend is also on that list.

10. avatar Sydney says:

I hate it when people just assume your unhappy because you’re single. There is such a thing as preferring to be single rather than in a relationship…

11. avatar Lilly says:

I Like the Louis one!!! <3

12. avatar LittleRedWolfGirl says:

Oh man these are so freaking perfect and true. I also loved the Buffy one, that was one of the best Buffy faces (and a great episode). I’m single, and totally fine with it. I went on a first date with an awesome girl the other night and it went well, but if it ends up not going anywhere, I might be a little disappointed but it won’t be the end of the world. I just never want to hear any sympathy comments about being single because I don’t care that I am. I’m only 22, I’m in no rush.

13. avatar gg says:

Buffy! Funny cause i’m watching buffy now.

14. avatar lil babe purple says:

yuh have no idea ive heard ALL of it and i do mean all even from my own sister who is a long-term relationship even from my single friends and my family’s friends

15. avatar jessica tapia from ctk southport says:

i like this

16. avatar ErraticCat says:

Lol, all of these are spot on! Wish I had these remarks in mind… Now I have some comebacks, haha!