These Average Size Mannequins Promote Awesomeness, Not Obesity!

Average Size Mannequin Sweden

This average size mannequin in Sweden is sort of awesome for a lot of reasons. | Source: Facebook

The average size of most mannequins doesn’t reflect the average size of the person shopping for the clothes that are on it. So why, when one store in Sweden used two mannequins the size of the average person, did they get so much flak for it?

Some people said that the mannequins pictured above promote obesity. But here’s what’s weird: the mannequins pictured–wait for it!–are not obese. The gal on the left is a size 12, the lady on the right is size 16. (In fairness, European sizes differ from ours, but look at them! They’re visibly not obese!)

This is a pretty dumb argument to make. First off, a mannequin is never promoting anything except the clothes that it’s wearing. Second, couldn’t an argument be made, then, that regular mannequins are promoting eating disorders and an unhealthy body image? You can’t have this both ways, people.

Frankly, I just think people should be stoked that there are now mannequins in average sizes because you’ll have a better idea of how the clothes that they’re advertising will actually look on most of us. It’s good for business (we’re more likely to buy stuff when we can picture it on us!), it’s good for shoppers (less disappointing trips to the fitting room!) and it’s good for promoting body diversity and a healthy body image.

The mannequins you’re looking at aren’t demanding that people eat more junk food or stop working out. But they are demanding that maybe we start to recognize that we come in all different shapes and sizes, and that having more than the tall, thin, stereotypical ideal represented is a pretty good idea.

Do you think these mannequins are promoting obesity? Do you think mannequins should be in the average size of most shoppers?  Tell us in the comments!

Fat shaming won’t cure obesity, so can we stop yelling about the average size person now?

And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter!

Posted in: Body Image
Tags: ,

1. Pingback: Not Enough Prevention on Advertisements | Advertisements Affect in Teenage Girls

2. avatar E. says:

I think it’s a great start to more acceptance of different types of bodies. What would be even better is adjustable mannequins. So mannequins where you can adjust breast sizes and hip sizes and leg sizes and height sizes and arm sizes and waist sizes. Then we could cater to every type of body that possibly exists. Not just the two typical media stereotypes of – Curvy or Thin.

3. avatar K says:

Size 16 is NOT the start of the plus size over here.

And the average size for women is about a 14.

I think they should just have a range of sizes throughout the store/ departments.

4. avatar Kamal says:

I do agree that there has been lot of interest in retailers to promote use of mannequins that represents body size of an average shopper. As mannequin manufacturer I can tell you that even now most retailers order size 8 or 10 that remains top selling size for us.

5. avatar Jodi says:

I think its fantastic :)

6. avatar maya says:

I’m not stereotyping or anything, but the people in Sweden or any far north country tend to be heavier, for practical reasons, which is probably why they put these up in the first place. Though neither of these models are fat, they seem pretty normal-sized to me.

• avatar Anna says:

Hi, I come from Denmark, and I have no idea, what you’re talking about. I’ve seen people in all kinds of different shapes, where I live, but I don’t think we tend to be eny heavier than people from any other countries.

PS: I think it’s a great idea with the mannequins. It will make people lot more confident about their bodyshape.

7. avatar Sam says:

The one on the left looks like she is built like I am. I am usually a size 3 or 5. European sizes are very DIFFERENT. If I remember, it includes the measurement around the waist or something like that. IDK, but I like those mannequins and we should have them here too!!

8. avatar Madeline says:

I love the idea but I think they should have one larger mannequin and one smaller ( I don’t mean anorexic small) would help most women be able to see what clothes will look like on them. I also agree with what Tayy said!

Xoxo M

9. Pingback: Swedish Store Uses Plus-Sized Mannequins : CollegeCandy – Life, Love & Style For The College Girl

10. avatar Tayy says:

I think its ok, but depending on how tall you are a size 16 should not be average. And technically 16 is the start of plus size, how are you pushing regular clothes on plus sized mannequins. However I do think that the super skinny mannequins that are the ideal now are NOT OK and that they do promote a negative body image in impressional young people, as well as the 16 model do the same thing. I wear a size 6 and I used to be a 10. ( I grew out of it). I think that 6-12(or even 14) sizes are good targets for all women to see and possibly achieve if they wish which would promote healthy image. We’re not promoting size we should promote healthy ! Make obesity a thing of the past!