Smart Girls Advice: How To Talk To Your Crush And Tell Him You Like Him

how to talk to crushOne of the questions we get most often from you girls is how to talk to your crush. And you know what? It’s a totally valid question, because no matter how old you are, talking to your crush can be hard. Telling him how you feel about him? That’s obviously even harder. Although we’ve given you advice about this before, the newest Ask Amy video is worth sharing.

Seriously, Amy Poehler takes the words right out of our mouths with this amazing Smart Girls advice. Can she come work at Gurl? Actually, can she come just be a part of my life? I would be cool with it if she just followed me around and made funny jokes and gave me tips on how to do stuff all day long. I wouldn’t mind the company. In all seriousness, I love that Amy takes the time out of what I imagine is a super busy life to connect with her younger audience and talk about these issues. It’s something she doesn’t even need to do, but she does it anyway because she’s awesome.

Enough with my Amy obsession… onto the video. One girl asks Amy: “I really like this guy. We have a lot in common, but I don’t think he knows about my feelings. I’m sort of shy but I want to be with him. What do I do?” I think we’ve all been there at least once.

Amy goes on to explain how to tell a dude you like him and why you should take that leap. Yeah, it can be scary, but as Amy says, it can also be totally worth it.

Want the full answer? Watch her video:

So, are you going to take Amy’s advice? Would you ever tell someone you liked them? Have you ever? How did you do it? Tell us in the comments!

10 tips on how to overcome shyness around guys

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter

Posted in: Love Advice
Tags: , , , , ,

1. avatarsavanna says:

hi other gurl fans ok i really like this guy and he’s really cute and sweet in fact i had someone deliver a secret admirer poem and he found out it was me but before i did it he told me to give him my number when i was able to date I can’t tell if he was joking with me or if he really likes me can someone please reply

2. avatarBrianna says:

I really want to tell him, but I get really shy around him.

3. avatarDenise says:

Hi Amy,
    I really like this guy. He’s really sweet, but really shy and nervous around other people. I think he likes me though. He keeps looking at me and when I look back, he looks away, but he’s always smiling. So here’s my question. How do I tell him that I like him without overwhelming him at the same time?
    Thank you!

4. avatarCarolyn says:

What if I’m not the only girl has a crush on him? I really like him, but we hang out a lot because we both play basketball. Almost half the girls in my grade think he’s cute, but I don’t think most of them like him. Also, one of my really close friends has a crus on him. He knows that she likes him, but I don’t think he likes her. Im also kind of shy. What should I do?

5. Pingback: Live, Laugh Links: It's Not A Hopeless Place, If A Lot of People Are Finding Love There, Right?!? - Crushable

6. avatarDestiny says:

Hi Amy,
    I come from a military family and we move often. For my first year of high school were moving far away to a school where i dont know anyone. How can I make new friends quick? I hate that awkward stare you get when you’re new to a school and nobody wants to be bold enough to approach you. Help!

• avatarElanor says:

Hi Destiny!

I don’t think Amy actually works at this site (I think Gurl just posts her videos), so she probably won’t answer your question, but I can do my best…
      So you move around a lot. That’s really hard (when I was little, I never went to the same school for more than a year). The best thing you can do if other people are too scared to come up and say hi is to go up and say hi yourself (I know that’s scary, but sometimes you have to be the first to step forward) and hopefully people will become friendly once they see you’re not mean or too shy. And if people still just stare and act mean, they wouldn’t have made good friends for you anyway. If you’re in high school, it might help to join clubs so that you don’t have to rely on meeting people in class, and you’ll also get to meet people who share your interests.

Just go up to people, be brave, and introduce yourself! Good luck!
      -Elanor

• avatarlIAH says:

Hey Destiny,
      I’m from a military family too so we move alot. I used to ask the same question but since we last moved, I said that I was gonna change for the better, not to please anyone. I was really shy, but conquered my fear of speaking to other people although it wasn’t easy. I joined volleyball, choir and dance, things that i’m great at and people appreciated me being with them and helping them if they were weak in some area. The most important part is to be friendly to everyone. If they have a problem with that, it’s their loss isn’t it? THEY AREN’T WORTH IT!!!