8 Signs Your Boyfriend Wants To Break Up With You

I recently read some research that states that most people in long-term relationships think about breaking up for a really long time before they actually go through with it. Eek. I have to admit, this kind of freaked me out. Who wants to date someone who’s secretly considering ending things? Um, no one, that’s who.

If you’re worried that your boyfriend (or girlfriend) may be feeling this way and is just unwilling to end the relationship, I’ve put together some things you should be looking out for. While I don’t want you girls getting crazy over this list (if one thing applies to your BF, please don’t assume it’s over), it’s important to realize that there are some tell-tale signs to watch for if you’re worried about your relationship ending. Take a look at these 8 signs that your boyfriend may want to break up with you. Then, please, talk to him.

Disclaimer: I don’t know your boyfriend. I don’t know if he wants to break up with you. The only way you’re ever going to know for sure if he wants to break up is if you talk to him about things honestly. Please don’t read this and automatically assume your boyfriend wants to end things.

Do any of these warning signs seem familiar to you? What would you do if you thought your boyfriend was going to break up with you? Tell me in the comments.

How to handle your first breakup

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter

Posted in: Relationships
Tags: , , , , , ,

1. avatarlola says:

My boyfriend and I have been dating for over 2 years we have been arguing over and over again i feel like he puts me second he always finds an excuse to get out of a date when i offer a picnic he says he can’t or that he’s busy, he’s an athlete but the thing is when we first me it was completely different he always had time he would take me out dancing or buy me flowers for me but now it’s going down hill with arguments i have become incredibly jealous and angry because i’m scared he will leave me, all i want is for us to rekindle what we had before we are stuck in an infinite loop are conversations are repetitive every message is the same how can i change this i don’t want him to leave me because all of sudden lost interest in each other i love him please help me

• avatarAlexis Bousquet says:

well sometimes people do grow apart, and its okay because if you do, then you guys just werent meant to be. But if i were you, i would just be open about it, and tell him how you feel and about the changes you are noticing, because he isnt a mind reader. So if you dont tell him things, you cant just expect him to know. tell him how you feel and give him the chance to open up to you. c:

2. avatarwhdunnit says:

Thank you all of you ive been going out with distant/too busy/ ignore txts/avoid future bf two years knew all along was wasting time enjoyed glimmers of love and all the space and time to myself I could wish for. My self esteem is ok I’m just lazy!

3. avatarAlisha says:

Hello.
    Me and my boyfriend have been dating for almost 2 years. we are in a long distance relationship. In the beginning everything was really awesome. But after a year of relation i found out that he was cheating on me for first 8 months of our relation. Then he left her for me. I was hurt bt forgave him and then he tried to make things right but as i was still hurt, i used to taunt him. Then aftr a month he broke up with me. I literally begged him for patch up. Then things got better. But then suddenly he changed again. He never reply me on time, never calls me,always gets angry with me, doesn’t care about me like he used to, he keep canceling the plan of meeting. And when i talk to him about his behavior, he seem less interested. I did everything for him. i left all my friends becz he doesnt like when i hang out with them. I always sit at home. I deleted my facebook bcz he doesnt like when i talk to others. he doenst value me. whenever i try to talk about this, he gets angry. i’m tired of trying now. i know that he is taking me for granted. sometimes i feel like to end this but he doesnt want to break up. and evn i don’t want to break up cz i love him alot. i just want him to value me and treat me right. i’m going crazy. help please ?

• avatarAlexis Bousquet says:

well, when you left him the first time, you showed him that you were on a higher level then him, which made him want you, but the fact you went back to him after cheating on you, gave him power over you. for some reason he doesn’t trust you, which seems not to be your fault but maybe something that happened in the past. And that is why he made you delete your facebook and all that. honestly i think your relationship is tainted and its a little to beyond repair. when you begged for him back, you didnt keep it neutral, you gave him all your power which made you seem weak and desperate. you may love him, and he still may love you, but he lost all respect for you, and i really think that once that is gone, any chance of having a relationship with that person is gone, so you need to show him and yourself what a strong, independent women you are, and end it. next time you’re in a relationship, stand your ground girly. dont let him take control.

4. avatarAlexis says:

I’ve been talking to this boy I knew for over a year and he asked me out a couple of days ago and before we’ve been, you know, going out we would talk non-stop , but now, he barely talks to me, and I don’t know what to do.. I messaged him but no response..

5. avatarBOLA says:

Hi, my boyfriend and i had a misunderstanding on an issue which i didn’t like and i told him not to say that to me again. He took it seriously, he hung up on me, i called back he replied saying he has no time for my arguments that i should go to bed. The next day,he called all through but i decided not to pick up his calls and he texted me this ” if u don’t pick up now am not calling u again” Still i didn’t pick up. I called the following day but he also didn’t pick my calls instead he keeps disconnecting my calls. Now we haven’t talked or call for over a week, should i just break up with him or i call back again?

6. avatarEmma says:

Hi all, so my fiancé and I have been together for 2 years on the 23rd. When we first got together we were so in love he treat me like a princess, was there for me all the time and loved me. I got pregnant with his baby about 2 months into the relationship and we decided to keep it. I already had a child from a previous relationship but he was actually great with her, he’s better with her than her own dad. When I started to get big I kind of went off sex, affection etc it was just a really hard pregnancy and I was irritated ally of the time so I pushed him away. I didn’t mean to do it I was just in pain, tired etc but yeah anyway I was a horrid bitch. After our daughter was born I started to realize that things were going wrong he stopped trying to give me kisses and cuddles and he had gone off sex. He’s only 19 so he should be mad about it surely? He used to be anyway. When out daughter was a couple of weeks old he went to stay at his aunties so he could get to work easier. In that time he got drunk a lot and went to stay at some woman’s house with his auntie so he could have a drink with them which I thought was out of order. In this time our baby daughter got really Ill and was rushed into hospital where she was admitted and we stayed for the night while my eldest was staying with my parents. He didn’t even bother to come home to make sure our baby was alright he just carried on as normal while I nursed out tiny daughter back to health. Things carried on to change like he would go out “to the shops” and take hours etc. then he passed his driving test and got a new job and things just went downhill from there really. He started going out all night, lying to me, spending all his time on his phone, not caring about his looks when he’s with me and the children etc etc the list goes on and on. I had realized by this point that I had pushed him away so I talked to him, apologized and we called a truce to kind of get back on track but the more I’ve tried the worse it’s panned out? I try not to nag him, I try to lose weight (I put a good few stone on when I fell pregnant) I’ve tried to be happy around him and be sexy but he wants none of it. I caught him staring at some topless middle aged woman with her boobs out on holiday while I was in the sea with him, he chooses to do anything other than make love to me or spend time with me. I tell him how worried I am but he says it’s all in my head. I’ve told him to go but he says I can’t love him, then if I want him to go, I do love him but I want him to change! I can’t love like this:( there was this lass in this aquatics shop who was staring at him then giving me and the kids dirty looks so I obviously went crazy and said he’s not allowed back there without me I don’t think that’s being unreasonable? He takes ages to ring me or text me back and when he does he’s always got an excuse. He sits on his phone all the time talking to other people that he doesn’t even know rather than talking to me. I took him away for a romantic weekend away and made some rules, lots of sex, no phones and pay each other attention but I got none of that. I was trying to dance sexy for him which he used to love but he said it made him feel awkward and sat watching a tv screen while I danced. He always looks at other women and then when I mention it he says he wasn’t and eggs all defensive. He wants a fast boy racer car and drives like a lunatic. He’s always stressed when me and the kids are with him I just don’t know what to do anymore. His mum has always hated me but she’s started bad mouthing me to my neighbors and basically everyone who will listen and he doesn’t even care?! I’ve asked him to change because I love him so much but he won’t as he says that’s going backwards I can’t take it much more I’m losing the love of my life and my heart is breaking..

7. avatarAlex says:

Hi! I know the feeling, Im in a situation were I dont know what my boyfriend wants. He is not same anymore. I just want to know if we are over or not.

8. avatarAngelic ):?!.6 says:

Well my bf keeps talking about his crush all the time ;( saying how she rejected him and all .i pretend that it doesn’t bother me and I’m not jelly but I am and his crush is both of our science teachers daughter and he says it hurts him when he hears her name .HELP Me Plzzzzz !!!!!!!!

• avatarKimble says:

Hey Angelic,
      If I were you I’d get the hell out of there. The only crush he should have is you, and if anything, he may start cheating soon. I don’t know, maybe im just being pesimistic. Try to talk about it with him.

9. avatarsunshine says:

My boyfriend and I been dating for 4 months but I had know him for years , he is a good guy, at the beginning of our relationship he was a sweetheart , we live in different state , so we don’t get to see each other often, but we do visit each other , my issue is the fact that he has a 3 years old son with another woman , she lives in the house with him and the baby .I was not comfortable with that , but I trust him , that nothing is going on with them, but lately he changes a lot he barely talks to me, ignore my text, or when he does respond he is so formal like he was talking to his colleagues .not only he is been cold with me but he ask me to give him his space and time to think about what he wants.he used to tell me he loves me and want to be with me, but the last time I ask him what he wants he told me he doesn’t know, now I haven’t heard from him for a week.what should I do?

• avatarangela says:

Hey i ve been dating my bf for a year and a half and he said he’s just tired of me but I do everything I can to make him happy I give him pedicures go run and get food with his car give him massages I cut his hair all that . I do my best I’m not the smartest girl but he corrects everything I say he wakes up moody one day happy the next. I really care for him I don’t want it to end he’s my first love I got an abortion 2 times cause we agreed on it but idk I just don’t get touched anymore only time I do is when he wants to have sex. he’s all up on me. He said he’s tired of me sometimes I feel I’m just not good for him he didn’t ever cheat on me we go grocery shopping together. He gets rough with me at times holds my wrists down puts his finger in my face tosses my phone snatches it from me he has a big heart too. He calls me a liar but I do lie about little things but I’m trying my best

• avatarsusi says:

Its not that your not good enough it’s just that he doesn’t see how good you are. You might love him but he isn’t treating you right, from my point of view it looks like his just using you he just wants sex, you do so many things for him he doesn’t deserve someone like you, you dersrve way better, but maybe his having problems with his family, health or maybe his stressed out. You should sit and talk about it with him. This is just my opinion u.u

• avatarchristina barrett says:

Well I think that he is having an affair with that girl and that’s the reason y he’s hardly into u k

• avatarKatie says:

Leave him alone. Don’t talk to him for at least 30 days. Do not answer for any reason.
      Act indifferent. That is your best chance.

10. avatarFrances B. says:

I dated a man for two years. Initially he seemed to want the same things I wanted and he pursued me. We had dated for 8 months when I discovered he had been married three times. He did not tell me, I discovered on the internet. This dishonesty was my first red flag, but I forgave him and our relationship continued. We we past 1 1/2 years of dating when I noticed that he started pulling away. We actually went an entire month without seeing each other and he made up excuses. When I really was honest with myself, I knew our relationship was headed no where and that he wanted to end it, but could not do it. Not because he was so in to me, but because he wanted to be the victim. He also had commitment problems as none of his marriages lasted longer than 3 years.. Its been almost a year since our breakup. I am not in another relationship because I am not ready. He is already in another relationship. I really loved this guy, but I do not think he can really love and be committed to anyone long term.

11. avatarSara says:

My boyfriend and I’ve been in a relationship for 5 years.A year back I broke up with him and it was the longest time we stayed away from each other. During that time he got a new gf and she is prettier than me. At the end of the year he broke up with her and we came back but now that we’re back he never says hi himself. I am always the one to do so. Even after I do it he doesn’t talk about anything else and when I try talking and don’t make sense he calls me immature. He ignores me most of the times. He still talks to his ex eventhough I stopped him. He talks to me as if fullfilling a formality. I feel so left out. She is still his first priority. I am sick and tired of reading love blogs to make a special place in his heart again. Help, please?: :(

• avatarKim says:

KILL IT. He has ZERO respect or time for you. You deserve someone who can at-least meet you half way.

• avatarYour Boyfriend says:

DUMP HIM. You are the only one with the power to do anything in your relationship. The key is in your hands, not ours, so I’m confused that you are asking us for help. You need to get some self esteem because that lack of it is making you continue on with this man.

12. avatarReen says:

My boyfriend and i have almost been dating a year now (in 6 days its are one year) and he does (is) 1,2,4,5. Is this bad? Im really scared and i dont want to loose him. He is my everything! We broke up before and got back together, he is acting like how hes been acting when we broke up last time. I dont want this to be the end, help?

13. avatarsadfiya says:

I hate my bf i wana break dis relation bt how

14. avatarZelle says:

I have known my fiance for nearly 4 years and we have been engaged for nearly 2. I’m getting all these warning signals and I REALLY still love him and want to be with him but it’s like I know inside it’s not going to last much longer.
    The realisation I know this came today, when I hadn’t heard from him for a week (we live apart for work). One of his mates, who I don’t know, called to say my fiance had been out drinking with them and was still passed out so wouldn’t be able to make it to my birthday. Is it too much to ask to spend one evening with him? That he had promised ages ago? On my birthday?
    I feel like I would do anything, drop anything, go anywhere for him. Now I’m stopping myself from leaving him. I love him and I hate him. I don’t know what to do.

15. avatarC.Kea says:

most of all the warning signs are right. it’s almost been about 2 years, he and I has been together. Our anniversary is in April. had a talk with him and all he told me what he want happy with me, well he isn’t happy being with me. everything made sense to me after thinking about it, he gave me hints…. he lost all feelings for me, he’s bored of me and admitted that I’m not what his heart desires. he doesn’t love me the way he does… It hurts but I’m just hanging in there. we haven’t broken up yet, but we’re still together and we both have a son together. We both live seperately. He’s not as affectionate as he as before, he doesn’t kiss me anymore, he doesn’t tell me he loves me. he doesn’t make eye contact with me and he deleted all of our pics we took together off Facebook and Instagrm. there nothing I can do, nothing can’t be fixed. But all I can do is focus on myself… but I don’t really know what’s going through his mind… I just hope everything will turn out fine at the end. He seems confused, I mean I don’t want to be indenial and be blind by love. it’s hurting he both of he everyday and whenever I want to speak to him, he doesn’t want to talk about “idk, I don’t want to talk about it, when I’m ready to speak then I will.” That’s what he says… I hope things will work out fine for us :(

• avatarkelly says:

I’m sorry that’s sux i don’t know what guys really wanted.

• avatarIris says:

You need to let go. You are whole with yourself. You don’t need him. When you feel empty that’s because you’re not loving you first. Allow yourself to love and respect yourself. Put yourself first. He will respect thus more if he respects you at all. Don’t give up your personal dreams. Believe.

16. avatarjust a silly girl says:

Hello,
    Me and my boyfriend have been dating now for nearly 8 months due to family problems I’ve had to move in with him and his mum, I’ve been living with him for over 5 months and I’m constantly ill because I’m constantly stressed I love my boyfriend he keeps me together when I’m at my weakest but I’m scared I don’t have a future with him because his mum is controlling and very jealous of me – like for example if I’m here and we want some alone time upstairs and we go upstairs to watch a film it takes 5 minutes then she’s shouting up the stairs saying to him “you hate mumma, you don’t want to spend any time with mumma” its the same if we go out, we can’t go anywhere without being moaned at the only time we can go out is if we are doing something for her and the only time we get alone time is past 11pm until 7am from the time they go bed until the time they wake up. I’m worried will I ever get a future with him? Is this relationship going anywhere ? I don’t know what to do because he won’t say no to his mum and he will never do anything he knows will upset her. I’m second best. Advice?

• avatarkelly says:

I got same situation as you so i know how you feel. The only hope is you guys move out as far as
      you can. i think your case even worst because u live with his mom at the same house so u have to deal with her 24/7 :((( i see my bf abt 4 time a week and she always ask him to do that to do that and she yell at him every time i was there u should go sleep kinda late son that’s mean she want me to leave the house. well if you love ur bf then u need to deal with those annoying crap!!!!!

17. avatarsofia says:

all the detailed match above match wid my relation. but he always has reasons to justify it
    is it a thing to wrry??

18. avatarJanet says:

My fiance and i have been dating for almost 2 years now. He’s incarcerated and is about 5 hours away. We haven’t met in person yet but i hope it’s soon.. We’ve talked about the future, but before he’s told me he didn’t want kids because he didn’t want to follow his fathers bloodline cause his dad use to lay hands on his mom i was a lil sad cause i do want one child with him i have one with another guy but i love my fiance so i told him ok that if he didn’t want any kids it was fine. So not long ago he said that so like a day or 2later her tells me he changed his mind and he would like to have alot of kids with me that he’s in love, i was happy when he told me that but i do not want alot. So this wasn’t long ago that he said that then he tells me that he’s giving me too much warnings that i need to graduate this time if not that’s it that he loves me and all but he’s looking for someone who’s willing to go hard for what they want.. I need advice.. Help me please.

• avatarnope says:

He’s not your fiancé and you are not in a relationship. You are too stupid to have a child. Please don’t ruin the world by having a baby with a convict dad and an idiotic delusional mother.

19. avatarastrid says:

Hi so my bf and I have been a couple for roughly 7 months, friends for a few years, he isn’t well versed in relationships, 2 major and I am 3, I have double the experience and am 8 years older with a 4 year old son. Being friends for years he was well aware of everything and after dating for a couple months, I had us have a long in depth talk about our future, what we each wanted personally and our future together…. we were on the same page. About 2 months ago he started withdrawing, not as responsive to texts,and basically if I made the effort to see him, we did, otherwise, he doesn’t go out of his way to see me. This coast weekend we were talking and he offered up what his future was going to hold and he made the statement he wanted to be my son’s friend, that’s a. My son is 4, I don’t necessarily need a father for him and that’s not my intention but I am still upset about the comment. I definitely believe I need to break it off even tho I am in love. My problem is his birthday is at the end of the month andthe plan made months ago was me paying for a trip. It’s a month away and I don’t want to go. I know im wasting my time and I don’t want him still with me because of this trip. Our lives intertwine and I’m stuck. Any advice please?? Do I break it off before or after the trip?
    M

• avatarMat Dee says:

I think that you can see that things are starting to take a turn that you weren’t expecting. If things aren’t going well, then taking the trip is not a good idea. You could still go with someone else: a good girlfriend, for example. But it won’t resolve anything to take a trip with this guy. If he’s ready to be single again, than he might make you feel lonely by engaging in ‘single’ man behaviour while on the trip, or other types of behaviour that will make you regret going. If the breakup seems imminent, it would be best to be proactive and ‘flip the script’, that is: start restructuring your schedule and activities to not include this man, get yourself busy so that you will not be iddling when the breakup happens. If you are honest with yourself, then you already know what it is you want and whether or not he’s going to be the ieal man to get it done with. You need to trust your gut on this one, and it already seems like you know somethings up.