I Don’t Really Wear Makeup

no-makeup-main

I don’t really know where to start with this. Source: ShutterStock

I totally think that makeup is a kind of art, and like any art, it takes time to get it the way you want it. In fact, a recent British survey found that the average woman spends about a year and three months of her life applying makeup. That breaks down to more than three hours each week.

Well, I definitely haven’t racked up that many hours in front of my bathroom mirror because I basically never wear makeup. I don’t even mean that in like a braggy way, like I have a flawless face.

Nope, it’s more that I just never got really into it or fully learned how to do it. As a result, I rarely motivate myself to put it on. I could so be that woman who gave up wearing makeup for a year.

Here is a typical morning for you: I intend to wake up at 7:30. I sleep through my eight alarms (do not judge because clearly I need them) and wake up at 8:15. I take a quick shower, grab my bag and have to dash off to the train. I basically have no time to do anything.

I’m not really sure why I never got all that into makeup. My mom didn’t have strict rules about wearing makeup or anything. I think because I always went from school to practice, I was like “Ehhh, what’s the point?” In addition, I think I just didn’t want to mess up my application with my trademark impatience, so I figured I’d just forgo the whole thing.

Well, it carried over into my adulthood where I continue to not wear it regularly. And I own it! My mom buys me nice stuff! I feel bad that it’s all jumbled in a bag that makes it out really only for special occasions. In a way though, it makes it more fun when I do decide to wear it. But as far as ditching makeup for my everyday life? It’s just easier, and since I like how I look without makeup, I figure, “Why not?

So based on those survey results, does me not wearing makeup mean that I somehow have a year up on life than those of you who do? Probably not, as I’m sure I have squandered away any extra hours sleeping (or let’s be honest, staying up too late watching TV and then sleeping). Actually, I’m not sure if the survey counted this as makeup, but I do love painting my nails since that’s one beauty investment that will last multiple days (without an eye infection) so there’s a good chance I’ve made up some of that makeup time.

I guess I just never really got into wearing makeup and that’s okay. I have a lot of friends who do, and they look gorgeous when they wear makeup or don’t wear makeup. I’m even a little jealous at some of the creative things they can do with it. Still, I just don’t think I’ll ever be someone who really wears makeup that often and I’m totally cool with that.

How often do you wear makeup? Do you think you spend more than three hours a week doing your makeup? How do you streamline your makeup routine? Tell me in the comments.

The Lazy Girl’s Guide To Makeup (a.k.a. how I do my makeup)

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter

Posted in: Confessions
Tags: , , ,

1. avatarFiona says:

The only make-up I wear to school is lip gloss. Sometimes I wear foundation but not very often. I wear more make-up when I go out though.

2. avatarJosceliaP12 says:

I only wear a touch of mascara. And lip gloss and chapstick. When I take off my mascara my eyes look the exact same. But darker and longer. By NO FACE MAKEUP AT ALL! It messes up your skin. :P

3. avatarJessica says:

I’m sixteen and just started to wear and I wear it everyday. I like how I look when I put it on , but It’s a pain to take it off but it does help me to remember to wash my face at night of makeup and acne . I only wear eye makeup the whole foundation thing is just a pain but special occasion foundation will maybe go on

4. avatarSheba Ravindran says:

I never applied makeup since now. I am 19 and I don’t know how to apply makeup till now. Moreover, I am not interested in makeup stuff. From my childhood, I love to study, write and talk, sleep. I think these stuffs give me more happiness :)

5. avatarRi says:

I love makeup, but I love sleep more… I didn’t even learn how to apply any until 9th grade, there was no one to teach me, and I usually on wear eye liner, or foundation if I’m pale from lack of sleep b/c my skin gets blotchy when I’m pale. I’m not being rebellious or healthy, I’m just lazy. Don’t wanna get up early to apply or stay up to wash it off.

6. avatarTayler says:

I have to wear it for school, so every day basically

7. avatarNimra09 says:

uhh..!! hey buddy i am almost the same.. just apply eye liner a lip balm and offfcourse before that a moisturizing cream .. i dont even know how to make up.. :/

8. avatarArianna says:

Im really bad, like I wear makeup everyday including school;
    To school i wear, lipstick, only a tint of it though, cheektint, white eyeliner, black glimmerstick eyeliner, heavy mascara, but never face makeup;

• avatarLauren says:

Im the same way, and i hate face makeup because it makes me break out, you know? It sucks having to deal with acne! I love mascara a lot, and i probably spend way to much time perfecting it.

9. avatarTufted-deer says:

“As long as I have lip balm and remember to moisturize my face, I usually feel like I’ve maxed out my beauty regimen. I wouldn’t say that I absolutely never wear makeup though because maybe once a week I’ll quickly swipe on mascara or eyeliner before work. I’m just awful at taking it off at night, and I have super sensitive eyes (it’s a terrible combination). Remembering this often deters me from ever putting it on to begin with.”

I feel like I’m reading the story of my life. Incredible.
    I have 15 alarms, only being able touse my hypo-allergic mascara and I’m off. My eyes hurt reallybadly after using this stuf. Also I have a very pale and dry skin+ alergic to everything, so wearing a make up is a pure horror for me.

I only wish at my uni didn’t have a full make up… :c

10. avatarMercedes says:

I wear makeup almost all the time. I think that whether you wear makeup or not every girl deserves to feel beautiful and if wearing makeup makes you feel beautiful, wear it. If you feel just as beautiful not wearing it, you don’t have to but don’t put labels on people because you believe that every girl that wears makeup wears it because they aren’t confident. We wear it because we know we can rock it!!!!

11. avatarcrazycupcake98 says:

i never wear makeup, one time i put on mascara but i felt really strange, its just not me, i like the way i look without it

12. avatarnatchumichan says:

I wear makeup at least 4 times a week. Except school days tho. But when I wear, I just use an eyeliner, an eyebrow pencil and a lip balm. And never will I forget, pinching my cheeks -to give them some colour- and that’s it. I usually finish doing it in 5-10 mins. 10 mins because sometimes it just don’t go well.

13. avatarchacha09 says:

I don’t have any makeup. I feel like **** duhh, I cant explain! I just dont want to put makeup. I feel like Im a clown or something. Its disgusting.
    You dont need to put makeup except if its required or what. Other girls put makeup everyday ever if there are no occasions.. why??? cause their not contented to their looks. Be your self and believe in your natural beauty. Everyone is pretty even if you dont put some fu***** makeups…

• avatarShannon says:

I don’t spend hours on makeup either. if I’m going out, I’ll put on some slap but not much

14. avatarIsabelle says:

I don’t even own makeup! As a kid I did dancing and I did wear it once a year for concerts, but that was stage makeup which I regard as completely different. Normal makeup to me is hiding who I am, and it’s itchy and annoying to wear. I’m also not an artist – I can’t draw anything more sophisticated than a stick figure and definitely feel nervous and uncomfortable drawing on my own face where everyone can see and judge. Better to go without on all counts in my opinion. Can’t stand it, and it drives me insane when people imply its needed to show you care about yourself. I had someone tell me once that girls needed makeup in order to look healthy, and my reply was: I look healthy anyway, because I am healthy. People need to get rid of these pre-concieved notions and recognise its a choice. I choose not to and I feel a lot happier than many girls who do choose to wear it. Some girls feel as happy as me wearing it. It’s all good, but I am sick of this notion that girls must wear makeup and know what to do with it!

15. avatarWhatshername says:

I never wear makeup. Maybe once every few weeks when I feel inspired I’ll swipe on mascara, but nothing else. People always go, “you don’t wear make up?” as if it was a crime not to. This makes a feel better to know that I’m not the only one out there. I feel that wearing makeup is like going “I’m ugly, so I need to cover it up with all these different products.”.

• avatarMads2you says:

If you don’t want to be judged for not wearing makeup, you probably shouldn’t be judging others who do. I wear very understated makeup because I enjoy it, and I love how I look both with and without it.

16. avatarJanice says:

I never wear makeup. I just don’t like it. Not even on special occasions. When I was a child, I thought it was disgusting. Then, I learned that it’s a personal decision and that some girls look pretty nice with some mascara or eyeliner. However, it’s just not for me. And that’s just fine because all girls look amazing both with or without makeup providing they feel comfortable and happy with themselves.

17. avatarHailey says:

The only makeup I ever wear is cover-up when I’ve got a major pimple to hide and mascara on special occasions.