Ask A Guy: I’m Skinny – Are Guys Turned Off By That?

Dear Ethan,

I’ve got something to ask about weight and stuff like that. I’m so thin and when I say thin, I mean super thin. I’m tall and I am skinny, so I’m like a walking skeleton. :( Do guys think that’s gross? Are guys turned off by really skinny girls? I eat a lot, so what’s wrong with me?! I know tons of girls want a skinny body, but this is just too much. Everybody says that if I gain a little more weight, I’ll look just right and that makes me feel so self-conscious. Help!

Ain’t the grass always greener on the other side? I know plenty of ladies – as do you – who would kill for your body, and plenty of ladies like you who would do the same for a fuller figure. The same goes for breast size – even though others might be envious of their guy-attracting curves, lots of women can’t stand their voluptuous cup sizes.

I get that what people say about your body makes you feel uncomfortable. You shouldn’t listen to those people!  If you really think gaining a few pounds will significantly boost your self-confidence, then make sure you do so responsibly. Nutrition and exercise are the only truly healthy methods of maintaining proper weight. If you’re not sure where to start, a nutritionist should be able to help you.

Honestly though, the best thing you can do here is just to learn to accept your body as it is. I know, I know – easier said than done, right? But I’ll let you in on a little secret: guys love confidence. If you love what you look like and you own your body, no matter what size it is, dudes will see that and it will effect how they see you. I’m not saying that accepting yourself will make every guy fall head over heels, which brings me to my point…

As for what guys think about skinny girls: The truth is that no matter what your weight is, some dudes will be attracted to you, and some will not. It all comes down to personal preference, and trust me, no two guys have the same taste! (Unless, of course, you’re Drake and Chris Brown. …Wait a minute – who wouldn’t fight for Rihanna?) You simply need to find those guys who will be into you for you – and trust me, there are plenty attracted to your body type! Just be sure you’re managing your weight for you, not for anyone else.

Good luck!
Ethan

Ethan Fixell is a writer and comedian from New York City best known as one half of comic “dating coach” duo Dave and Ethan. He is also the creator and editor of ActualConversation.com. For more on Ethan, visit EthanFixell.com…or call his mom, Robin.

Are you confused about a guy? Do you find yourself wondering, “What is he thinking?” Tell us everything in the comments! And if you have a question for Ethan, email him at askaguy@gurl.com!

How much do dudes care about a girl’s weight?

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter

Posted in: Ask A Guy, Love Advice
Tags: , , , , , ,

1. avatarmagic monkey says:

I’m really skinny too and I hate it

2. avatarlolololololololololo says:

yes u should give him what he want

3. avatarloloaa says:

i think so but he has to take his rights to make sex wz u so have courage to da that girl !

4. avatarAqsa says:

i can understand your pain :( even iam too skinny and even short , but i have learnt to live with . some guys do say dat i am way too skinny bt some say dat i look cute :))
    so its nothng about your body, its all about ypur heart.. :)

5. avatarmoly says:

Ok this shy guy used to like me for 2 years bt we have been to diffrent schools this year we are at the same high school.we went out for two days his friends and my friends are friends so we stand together at recess but we have NEVER ever talked in these 2 years just messaging over the fone.he told me the reason he doesn’t wana talk to me is caus he is REALLY shy.so he asked me If I could just give him a little time to get used to me so I said ok bt he didn’t make any effort so I said I want out.then after a week a had a girlfriend*sigh*so his bestfriend (there not so close bt I dont think ots caus of me )asked me out and I said yes.so this one day he and my “boyfriens”walked home together and I kissed my “bf” infrone of him bt it was a quick kiss.bt then latr tht night he and his gf broke up.what does tht mean???we don’t talk like we used to(on the fone).we don’t really talk.. Oh me and my boyfriens broke up 2days later (I like him as a friend , there was never anything more , I actually used him*feelbad*..so we are not on speaking terms.does this mean he is over me ??? I need help!!it kills me that he doesn’t reach out to me..to think we had 2 years thrown away in 2days..I need advice..thanx in advance..we r al 14btw

6. avatarOlive says:

I’m really small too and some guys like girls with curves. Others like smaller girls. But it doesn’t matter what guys like… they don’t know what the hell they’re talking about 99% of the time. The thing is you have to learn to love your own body– nomatter what the size is. When you love it, others will be drawn to you. NO ONE has the right to tell you to change your appearance. Any change you make should be because YOU want to. Don’t ever do anything for the sole purpose of pleasing someone else–ESPECIALLY A GUY.

7. avatarMegg says:

“who wouldn’t fight for Rihanna”

LOL CHRIS BROWN JOKE RIGHT HERRRR

8. avatarJellytotssssss says:

I feel your pain! I am too mega skinny, I read somewhere that it is due to having a high metabolism which means your body gets through food faster or something like that. But I found someone who loves me for me and I know you will too! :D

9. avatarbasschick says:

skinny AND tall? girl you got it ALL!

10. avatarShadow says:

I completely agree.! You will be suprised how many girls would kill to be your size. Well our size cause Im petite too. Guys like skinny girls believe it or not. Different strokes for different folks. I’ve learned to love my size and you will soon love it too :-D