Did This Girls Parents Force Her To Get An Abortion?!

forced abortion

As if being 16 and pregnant weren’t scary enough, imagine your parents forcing you to get an abortion. | Source: ShutterStock

Abortion is a touchy subject for a lot of reasons–we know just from reading the comments here! (And yes, we do read them, and we love that you guys are so passionate about your views. You’re awesome.) It’s evident from reading a lot of them that your parents probably influence how you feel about the subject, which is good–it means you’re talking about it!

But a lot of you disagree with your parents on abortion, which is great too. Except in the case of one girl from Texas, who is actually–get this–taking her parents to court. She thinks that the are forcing her to get an abortion against her will. Dude, how scary is that?

The girl in the case is 16 years old, and she’s two months along. The lawsuit says she wants to keep the baby, but that her parents are adamantly against it–and resorting to some really dirty tactics to get her to have an abortion. In the girl’s lawsuit, it says that her mom “invited the paternal grandparents to a bar for further discussion, where she suggested that she might slip her an abortion pill through deception.”

Uh, how messed up and horrifying is that?

The suit also says that her dad said that “he was going to take her to have an abortion and that the decision was his, end of story.” Pops, just because you helped make her uterus doesn’t mean it’s yours.

The girl’s lawyer told reporters, “We were asking judge to stop them physically forcing her to have an abortion. She is legally protected. They cannot drag her to get an abortion, force an abortion on our client.” The girl was granted a temporary restraining order from the judge in order to save the baby’s life.

Here’s why this is screwed up. Even if you agree with abortion, it should be your choice. The girl’s lawyer pointed this out, saying, “What Roe established is minors have the choice. And when they do make the choice, folks are shocked that they want to carry the baby.”

Here’s the thing, though. The girl’s lawyer is being provided to her by a staunch anti-abortion group, which may also be influencing her decision–because you know that even if they genuinely want to help her, which is commendable, that they’re after the publicity that will ultimately come with it, too.

If everyone would just hear this girl out and let her make up her own mind and give her unbiased information, what could be the biggest decision of her life would be made a lot less traumatically. Instead, everyone with what may be ulterior motives is jumping in and trying to sway her one way or the other–when it’s her body, her choice and eventually, her baby.

Whether or not you agree with abortion, you can probably agree that this is a crappy situation for her to be stuck in. Here’s hoping she makes the best choice not for her parents, not for a pro-life lobby, not for a pro-choice lobby, but for herself.

Do you think the girl should have taken her parents to court over having an abortion? Do you think she should have an abortion or keep the baby? Do you think the anti-abortion group paying for her lawyer is trying to get publicity from the case? Do you think her parents had good intentions when they tried getting her to have an abortion, or that they were just being scary? Tell us in the comments!

These abortion facts may surprise you!

And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter!

Posted in: In the News, Teen Pregnancy
Tags: , , , , ,

1. avatar Gen says:

I am entirely pro-choice, but I totally disagree with the parent’s way of doing things. As much as I hate pro-lifers for shaming down teenage girls who decide to have an abortion, I also completely disagree with parents trying to force their daughter to get one!

It’s her body, her choice. This motto goes both sides (pro-life & pro-choice) no one should have a say in this, but the girl.

I do agree though that she most likely won’t raise the child on her own, because, let’s face it: the dad won’t be here, and she’ll have to relay financially/mentally/physically on her parents to help her take care of her own child. Heck, she’s still a kid herself! She probably hasn’t finished high school yet and the biggest job she can afford right now is a student’s job. There’s no way you can properly raise a baby with such a small salary on your own. If she puts her child for adoption, she’s giving him/her better chances at life, in the arms of a family who will have planned on adopting a child. Her parents were clearly not ready for another child, be it they’re daughter’s baby, simply by how they reacted in such an aggressive way.

I hope she manages to make the right choice for both her, the baby and her family. It’s a HUGE responsibility to raise a child when he was not planned.

2. avatar Saeryen says:

I don’t know what my abortion stance is (because I don’t like the idea of it, but I know that sometimes it has to be done to save the mother’s life, plus my views on rape cases are paradoxical (the mom shouldn’t have to suffer having the baby but the baby shouldn’t have to die), but I do NOT like this. If she wants to have the baby, she should. Making her get an abortion when her life isn’t at stake is not cool.

3. avatar allie says:

I’m pro-life definitely. But this girl should be able to make her own decision. It shouldn’t be anybody else’s to make. It was her mistake to get pregnant, but we all make mistakes.

And just a reason why I’m pro-life.. There’s always adoption like come on people

• avatar N. says:

You said :this girl should be able to make her own decision. it shouldn’t be anybody else’s to make.

congrats, that makes you pro-choice. by definition.

4. avatar B.Marie says:

I think that whether abortion is morally right or wrong isn’t the question, it’s whose decision is it to make and whether she should be allowed to make the decision. I personally feel she was brave and strong for taking her parents to court and applaud her for being so courageous to stand up for what she believes in. I don’t think her parents should have tried to make her get an abortion because it’s her body that belongs to her and her only. If she is old enough to have sex and make a baby, then she should be old enough to decide for herself. It’s not for her parents, an anti-abortion group, or even myself to say whether she should have an abortion or not, it’s her decision and only hers.

5. avatar Anonymous says:

I hope that both pro-lifers and pro-choicers can agree that no one should be forced into an abortion.
    As for the pro-life group, I don’t think they’re trying to get attention but it could be that they’re only doing this because they’re anti-abortion and not because they want to help this girl. Which is not to say that they don’t want to help the girl, because they probably do. I’d need to know what organization this is in order to make a better guess.

6. avatar Abbey says:

It may be her body, her choice, and her baby, but the parents are going to be the ones that end up taking care of it in the long run.

There’s no way a sixteen year old girl is able to take care of herself, let alone another person on her own. Because the parents will ultimately be taking care of the child, I don’t think that what they are doing is entirely wrong. I’m sure they have her best interest at heart, even if they are going about it in an unusual manner. Unless the mom to be can totally support herself financially, I think her parents should have some say, not all, but some.

Kids shouldn’t be having kids.

• avatar Kelly says:

I totally agree. My sister got pregnant at 17, and even though she had a job and was earning college scholarships left and right, our parents took care of that child fiancially and always looked after little Chelsea whenever my sister had to leave the house. Another child in the house would be a considerable burden on any aging parent, look at it from the parent’s perspective, not just the girl’s.

7. avatar Popcorn says:

I don’t think that her parents should be forcing her to have an abortion in this way, but if they have reached this point, that means that there is some serious miscommunication going on. At 16, you simply cannot raise a child on your own, even with your parents. Because although we see everywhere that you can go to college, and we glamourize teen pregnancy, the fact of the matter is, most of the time your life is over because you got pregnant too early. What her parents should have done was have a conversation and tell her, here is what is going to happen. You will taking care of something that depends on you 24/7/365, leaving you with not much time for school. You can put the baby up for adoption, but the baby may have multiple foster homes and a turbulent life.
    Abortion is not for everyone, but I think that the parents are genuinely trying to help her, although it is the wrong way to go about it.

8. avatar Jillian says:

I don’t care if they are her parents, they have no right to her body. Most likely the parents were more afraid of the public humiliation of having a teen mother for a daughter.

But her deciding not to have an abortion could simply mean she wants to put the baby up for adoption, which is also a very good thing. If her parents were threatening to harm her or her unborn child, then yes, she had every right to take them to court. I think she should so whatever she feels is right for her, if that means keep the baby or has an abortion or puts it up for adoption.

I won’t rule out the pro-life group trying to get in on the publicity stunt. Maybe they are doing it to help the girl, but the attention is an added bonus. And I believe that her parents were not trying to help her at all. She didn’t do what they wanted and they got angry. I feel sorry for those who have parents and grandparents like that.