My First Pregnancy Scare Was One Of My Most Embarrassing Moments Ever

Pregnancy scares are bad enough on their own – if you’ve ever experienced that overwhelming sense of panic that only comes from the possibility of something happening that you feel like you have no control over, you know what I’m talking about. Well, my first pregnancy scare was even worse than normal because I also managed to make it one of the most awkward and embarrassing moments of my life.

Allow me to share the cringe-worthy details.

When I was 16-years-old, I was dating this dude we’ll call D. D and I were basically obsessed with each other and spent most of our time together making out in my basement while my little brother and sister spied on us. When it came to hooking up, we had done everything but have sex… we were both still virgins and I was planning to stay that way for a little while longer. You would think that since we weren’t having sex, I wouldn’t have to worry about getting pregnant. You would be wrong.

See, I am a huge worrywart and a very panicky person. It’s a fun combination (JK). One month, my period was late. When I say late, I mean it was two days behind schedule. Despite the fact that my period had never been very consistent in the years since I’d started getting it, I went into full on freak-out mode. The week before, D and I been fooling around practically naked and, you know, stuff happened. I was convinced that I had somehow managed to get myself pregnant without actually having sex.

The third morning when my period didn’t appear, I panicked. I tried to calm myself down, but in my head I was like, “OMG I’m pregnant. Somehow, his sperm traveled into my vagina and fertilized an egg.” I had no idea how it could have happened, but in my freaked out state it seemed possible.

A quick Google search of “can I get pregnant without having sex” and “how long does sperm live once it hits the air” revealed that there actually is an incredibly low chance of getting pregnant without doing the deed. A very common belief is that sperm dies the second it hits the air, but that’s actually not true. As MayoClinic explains, “sperm ejaculated outside the body might survive in semen — the fluid released during ejaculation — up to a few hours.”

Of course, I immediately convinced myself that I could be pregnant. Never mind the fact that I had been wearing underwear at the time or that we had obviously cleaned things up pretty quickly or that there wasn’t even sperm near the place it needed to be. All rational thoughts flew out the window. In my mind, I was already pregnant. I was like the Virgin Mary, but modern and not holy, and I was going to have to explain to my child one day that I was still a virgin. Why would I have to explain this? Ask 16-year-old Jessica, because I don’t know.

Obviously, I faked sick, stayed home the entire day and cried. When my mom came home from work, she nagged me for hours about why I was upset. Finally, the stress of my unplanned pregnancy and the idea of disappointing everyone I’ve ever known and being a pregnant virgin got to me. I told her what was going on.

When I said I was late, she put her head in her hands. “You’re having sex?” she asked, sounding miserable.

“OMG Mom, no!” was my response. I mean, obviously.

She picked her head up and stared at me. “Then what are you talking about, Jessica?” she asked. The idea of telling my mom that my boyfriend and I had made out almost naked was horrifying. I shrugged and stopped answering questions. Finally she hissed, “Did his penis go inside of you?”

My mom asking me that was too much to handle. I screamed no and ran into the bathroom crying. My mom probably thought I was insane but she’s also a panicky person, so she went out and bought me a pregnancy test. As we waited for the test results, my mom told me she was going to have D arrested (she didn’t like him very much) and I told her that wasn’t possible and also that we were in love, so to leave him alone.

The test results were negative – obviously. I wasn’t pregnant. I was thrilled… my mom, not so much. The next day she made an appointment with a gynecologist to get me on birth control pills (she didn’t believe I was still a virgin, which was pretty infuriating). We never talked about it again, but all in all, it was the most embarrassing thing I’ve ever done to myself in front of my mom. PS: I got my period the next morning.

Have you ever had a pregnancy scare? Would you ever tell your mom about it if you did? Have you ever been worried about getting pregnant even if you haven’t had sex? Tell me in the comments.

Here’s what to do if you think you’re pregnant

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter

Posted in: Confessions
Tags: , , , , ,

1. avatarLizzy says:

I feel like every girl has a pregnancy scare, whether she had sex or not. I was watching Girl Code and this one girl said that if she’s sexually active she thinks she’s pregnant and if she’s not sexually active she thinks she’s pregnant with Jesus’ baby and that is the most accurate thing probably :’) I feel like there’s sperm everywhere too! This is what makes me feel nervous all the time. For the longest time I had a fear of sitting where a boy had sat before me out of fear of getting pregnant among many others because all rational thoughts leave a female’s head I believe. Anyways, when you stress out about it you make your body sick, especially nauseous, which doesn’t calm you down lol. You can even feel a baby inside of you which makes no sense because to feel the baby kick you would have to be showing, no? Well it wouldn’t be at the very beginning. Most of the time it’s nothing to worry about if a penis has not entered your vagina. I’m still a virgin but have pregnancy scares anyways. Deep down I know I’m not pregnant though, and I just wish I would stop having these thoughts so often :/

2. avatarMaria says:

Hey guys pleas help..i slept over my bf nude.i was 6 day late for my period after dat..it came at all on 7th day.i am having pain and movements in my abdomen when i eat.i have no other signs of pragnency except backpain n large tummy..am i pragnent or m i scard nthng else?

3. avatarSky says:

I have had one quite like yours. I don’t keep track of my period, but we didn’t even have sex and I’m still freaking out! Hahaha, I’m pretty sure I’m about 3 days late. I have googled everything. I’m only 15. A virgin. And the guy cummed on my butt. I wiped it off before it even went down there. AND I had a thong on. I don’t know why I’m freaking so much, this is probably the first time that I have ever wanted my period. I think this is a lesson from God saying I’m too young for this stuff.

4. avatarKelly Hill says:

Hey. I’m 13 and I look pregnant. I’ve never had sex or a bf but I’m really scared. I had my period but I am having mood swings. I’m freaking out here!!!! Can someone plz help??? I can’t talk to my parents cuz they’ll flip out and I’m too scared to ask. I really need some advice. I have been really stressed out lately but I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it. Help!!!!

5. avatarKate says:

Whenever my period is late I think that I have been chosen for the second coming of Christ.

6. avatarLupita says:

Will i ever have a boyfriend ? i am nice , kind , sweet , & have good maners , and that is me.

7. avatarTelissah6 says:

Hey guys I had ma pregnancy scare wen iwas 17 iwas very scared because idy humped wth my clothes on and it was the first tym to see the precum so I freaked out went to the bathroom and changed and washed myself after that I prayed to God cause I knew it was abad thing n he was punishing me I have to say I had stress n that’s wat delayed ma periods I had all pregnancy symptoms got scared looking up on the internet can u get pregnant without intercourse or are their virgins who are pregnant pls don’t believe stuff from the internet they will drive u crazy n mad n abstain if u don’t want this problems that’s what ilearnt n imma keep ma virginity till iget married that’s what am planning to do and girls don’t stress yourself if haven’t heard stress ,stress cause your mind to believe what you believe n that’s how your body will adapt n pls take care

8. avatarNerea12 says:

Hey guys I had the pregnancy scare 2iwas scared iwas pregnant n iwasnt till I got ma periods I had dry humped with my bf and saw his precum in ma tights ni believed iwas pregnant looked it up on the internet n it freaked me out took me one week without eating and getting out ma room prayed to God to being ma periods back and indeed he brought them back I believe it’s the stress which was causing it but guys don’t hav any kind of outer course or intercouse while you are a teenager I prefer abstinence if u wanna be safe u don’t want people to call Mary cause they don’t believe that so please guys abstain that’s the best n u will hav peace not everyone is luxky

9. avatarSarah says:

I worry all the time that I’m pregnant even if I don’t have a boyfriend! Right now I’m in this situation like yours where my boyfriend and I fool around in our cloths or underwear, some people call it “dry” sex… My period is now 8 days over due and now I’m scared… I tell my mom everything but I haven’t told her this.

10. avatarTina says:

I don’t have have any boyfriend and I ALWAYS have this panic whenever my period comes late. But lately I have regular one. I feel very depressed that I don’t know what to do. It makes me think OT OF HORRIBLE THINGS AND i AM VERY UPSET. WHAT SHOULD i DO TO CONTROL THIS?

11. avatarSarah says:

Hiya Jessica! Im exactly the same, expect i don’t actually do anything with boys! I just basically think that sperm is everywhere! Like everywhere, i sat on the bath corner naked when about to get in and i got scared if there was sperm there! It really just freaks me out! I don’t ow what to do :( talking to my mother isn’t even an option!xx

12. avatarTayler says:

I was 16 when I had my first pregnancy scare. I told my mom and then found out later I wasn’t actually pregnant. But when I was 17 I found out I was pregnant for real.