I Hate Being Tall!

Hi Heather,

HELP!! How do I deal with being tall?! I’ve always been the tallest one in my class since the 5th grade and now I’m a junior and still the tallest one. I don’t know how to overcome this problem that I’m going to have to deal with for the rest of my life. I feel like I’m going to end up alone living with my 20 cats :(

Girl, I feel your pain… sort of. See, I’ve always been the shortest girl in my class. Actually, I’ve always been the shortest girl pretty much anywhere. I used to hate my height and I spent a really long time literally praying that I would grow. But eventually, I got used to it and now I love being short. But this isn’t about me – it’s about you. The point I’m trying to make is that we all have body insecurities. The best thing we can do is learn to love and accept ourselves for who we are and what we look like.

The fact of the matter is, there’s not much you can do about being tall. There’s no operation that will shrink you and there’s no way to go back in time and be reborn as a more petite girl. But that doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with your height! The first thing you need to do is stop referring to your tallness as a “problem.” I know you’re not feeling comfortable in your body right now, but being tall isn’t a problem – it only is if you make it one. And by telling yourself that you have a “problem”, you’re only making it seem more negative.

I can’t tell you exactly how you can learn to love your body or accept your height – sometimes, that kind of thing can only come with time. I know firsthand that being a drastically different height than other people can be really embarrassing, awkward and it can make you feel isolated. But you should never let yourself feel that way. You should be proud of being tall! It’s what makes you stand out, and that’s a good thing.

Own your height. Who cares if you’re the tallest one in your class? As long as you’re confident and you love your body, that’s all that matters. If other people tease you about it, that’s their problem, not yours. The reality is that most people aren’t as obsessed with our own body image as we are. You might constantly notice that you’re the tallest person in the room, but that doesn’t mean that everyone around you is talking about it or even caring.

Another note? I seriously doubt that your height will cause you to end up alone with 20 cats. A lot of the guys in your class might not have fully grown yet – remember, guys grow for longer than girls do. So this might just be an awkward stage for you, but I’m pretty confident in saying that I don’t think it will last. Like I said: own your height. I know that’s hard to accept right now, but learning to feel comfortable in your own skin is the only thing that will make you feel better.

take care,
Heather

What’s on your mind? Heather can help! Send her your question at heather@gurl.com

Should you ever tell a friend that she looks bad?

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter

Posted in: Help Me Heather
Tags: , , , , , ,

1. avatarJazzi says:

I Hate Being Tall. I Hate It More Than Anything!!
    I Always Get Labled As The Tall Girl.! Some Say I Look Like A Man. And I Have Big Feet That Goes With The Tallness.!! I Cant Be Like A Normal Teenage Girl. That Can Wear Short Skirts And Shorts. I Cant Even Find Dresses That Fit Me.! Im The Tallest In My Group Of Friends. And Feel So Left Out. I Just Wish I Was Normal.

2. avatarKobby says:

Being.tall is not a curse.its just a blessing in disguise.all u need is to accept the fact that you are perfectly tall.I also use to worry.but now its just a thing of the past.be confident about yourself all the time.u also need to look good everytime.always be happy within you.just enjoy yourself.hey u will not be arrested for being tall…or will u?

3. avatarAbir says:

I feel u honey I am having the same problem I always do this to my self . I feel inscure about it. But I had to use to being tall . And I am the tallest girl in my family I always hated that :( and cried for being tall . Cuz I just wanted to fit in .and I always think about why I am so different?? And all end up with I have to accept my self whatever its my body and I didn t creat my self :)

4. avatarjerry says:

am 6’4″ nd m happy abt it :)

5. avatarGirls galore says:

Im really tall. Im the tallest in everything. Sometimes i feel like I’m fat because I’m so tall.
    I feel like i would never have a boyfriend, but don’t worry about boys because in their teen years they have a massive growth spirt.

You will get over it, we all have to deal with it. Trust me i’m with you.

• avatarKate says:

Yes! I understand feeling “fat” but it’s not really fat at all I’m just jumbo sized lol i Im tall 15 and 5’10 and I ALWAYS feel like some of the girls at my school I can’t relate to. The girls at my lunch are all like 5 foot and when I’m talking to them standing up I feel like I’m looking at the top of their heads!!! Haha! I mean i have friends that are 55 5’6 but while writing this I’ve realized I have never had Any close friends that were so much shorter than me, this is not intentional of course it’s just when your talking to and meeting new people it’s weird to look down so much at someone. And huging someone who’s so tiny is awkward. This is not to say anything bad about short people. In fact I wish more than anything in the word I was tiny and feminine you think it’s a problem being short and cute? Lol try feeling like a man all the time, maybe that’s why I never get a close friendship with petite girls because just being around them makes me feel manly and insecure and bad about myself. Haha this is the most random vent ever. Thanks for reading I wish you the best no matter your size ;)
      Xoxo kate

6. avatarLove says:

Tallest girl in my family, in my grade, practically EVERYWHERE. The way I feel about my height is constantly changing though . . . sometimes I hate it, because all my friends were so much shorter than me and I felt like an outsider. Something as small as a hug would be awful because I’d have to lean down or the other person would have to stand on their toes. Some people would also think I was much older than what I really was. At fifteen years old, someone mistook me for a twenty-something year old. Did I take that as a compliment? Of course not.

But at the same time, there were so many ups to being tall. For one, I was naturally thin. Fast metabolism, perhaps, but I ate like a dude and I didn’t gain a thing. Clothing was another. I loved what I saw in the mirror. Skinny jeans, mini skirts, I felt like a supermodel. In fact, I was approached by an agency once at the mall!

Height is only a disadvantage if you see it as one. Learn to love who you are, because it’s not gonna change!

7. avatarStasy says:

I am 13yars old and a bit over 5‘7”.I’m the tallest girl in the school – and in the family.Everyone say they wish they where as tall as me,but I really don‘t believe that.I can hardly ever find jeans that fit and thats really anoying!
    But don‘t worry!Skinny jeans and dresses look great on tall girls!

8. avatarCara says:

I’m 15 and I’m 5’11″ I know what it feels like to be the tallest one. Everyone says “oh, I wish I was your height” but honestly, I think that everyone wants to be a little bit taller but not my height. Most of my boyfriends have been smaller than me. You will not be the tallest one forever! I’m seeing people, I haven’t seen in a year and they are already taller than me! I’ll give you an advantage of being tall, when your at a concert, you can see over everyone’s heads and if people don’t like it then they aren’t important in your life :)

• avatarjasmin says:

I envy you !!! I’m 17 and i’m 5’9 . I can’t accept the favt the fact that i’m that tall
      I thought i was 5’8 which took me a long time to accept !! But now , i find out i wasn’t 5’8 .i was 5’9 all along ! I’m just hoping when time passes , i get over the fact that i hate being tall.

9. avatarAlexa. says:

Dont worry. Im 5’5 and 13 . You’ll get through it . and better of all, you will be a great volleyball player .c: heheh.

10. avatarSophia says:

At least you can wear any type of clothes, like skinny jeans and look good :)
    ~ I feel you….I pretty much tower over everyone

11. avatarbakerychaz says:

I was 5’7″ when I was 11 and I was proud of it :P

• avatarRowan says:

I am so on the contrary. I’m 13 and only 5’0″ – and only recently was I able to start saying that… and it just gets annoying. There are 10 year olds in my school taller than me! It’s something I just can’t get over.