I Love Wearing My Glasses (And You Should Love Yours Too!)

cool-glasses-main

Okay, so that’s not me, but my glasses look similar! | Source: Shutterstock.com

If for some reason I can’t find my glasses, not only can I not see, but I feel like a piece of my personality is missing. Seriously.

I’ve rocked glasses since I was about nine-years-old, and I was so excited to get them (like, beyond the part about them helping me see). They started out as a part-time distance thing, but eventually I found I needed them more and more. We went through a brief break-up just before high school after I learned that my glasses falling off of my face and into a dangerous field hockey shuffle was not good, so I transitioned over to contacts.

Because I had practice every day, contacts became my go-to for most of high school, and then college. However, once I wasn’t working out all the time, I realized that I wasn’t really BFFs with my contacts. They bothered my eyes (which, full disclosure, was probably my own fault for leaving them in too long), and I hated having to get up, wash my hands, put them in, etc. I decided to go back to my primarily glasses-wearing ways.

It’s not just a matter of convenience for me, because I’ve realized that honestly, I truly LOVE wearing glasses. I totally consider them my number one fashion accessory, and thinking back over the years, I’ve rocked quite a few pairs of cool glasses. My first pair in elementary school were these blue and pink speckled ones. These also came in a sweet blue case with bees on it. Jealous?

After that I went for rectangular ones with a purple tint, to rectangular ones with black frames, to brown ones with a slight cat-eye shape. Maybe my favorite of all time was my junior year of college when I got hot pink rectangular glasses with black polka dots on the side. However, I do love my current glasses quite a lot. They have black frames and are kind of over-sized, and I got them right before I moved to NYC.

Not only do my glasses keep me from going into a panic when I realize how blurry everything is around me, but I love that they’re this part of me that can show off my personality or allow me to re-invent myself in a small way whenever I get a new pair. And on those days where I do wear contacts? People don’t always recognize me right away, which can get annoying, but more pressing, I usually end up poking myself in the eye because of my habit of pushing my glasses up on my nose. However, I do try to fix that by having brightly colored sunglasses with me on my contacts days (photo proof).

Getting glasses is really no big deal – they are going to help you out soooooo much when it comes to actually being able to see. Seriously, if I had to live in my blurry world, it would not be good or safe. While the primary function of your glasses is to help out your vision, it really does help to think of your glasses as a chance to embrace your personality with flair. Picking out your clothes and showing them off is fun, right? Then I say have fun picking out your glasses and rocking them with confidence!

Do you wear glasses? If so, do you like wearing them? What do they look like? Do you remember when you first got glasses? Tell me in the comments!

Read about one girl getting contacts!

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter

Posted in: Your Life
Tags: , , ,

1. avatar lala says:

I hate my glasses. I just start wearing it two days ago… I think my glasses n I don’t suit each others

2. avatar Chris says:

I stumbled onto your blog about how you love wearing your glasses and had to respond. Yes, I have worn glasses for years and got my first pair when I was in the 9th grade. I had always wanted to wear glasses since my older sister got hers and I could not wait to get mine when I was told I needed them. That first day is one I will never forget: the first time I had them on everything was instantly transformed into HD, and I was amazed how sharp everything was, how far away I could see and read things, I couldn’t believe that I could now see the individual leaves on trees and how vivid colors had become. My eye doctor had told me I only needed to use them when I needed to see something like the board at school, but after seeing how much better I could see while wearing my glasses and how blurry everything was when not wearing them , I wanted to wear them all the time from that first day!

The next day was the first day I would wear them to school, I was nervous since nobody but my family had seen me in glasses yet, but I showed up wearing my glasses and my friends were surprised to say the least, they complimented me on how good they looked, made the usual comments we glasses wearers hear like “when did you get glasses?” ” I didn’t know you wear glasses,” “can I try them on?” I also got teased a little, but it was nothing mean and was done in fun with comments like a few friends chanting “Chrissy’s wearing glasses,” but that’s as bad as it got. Each day got easier and by the second week it was like I had been wearing glasses forever. I have always been very confident while wearing my glasses and truly embrace them in my personality.

Prior to getting glasses I had always been a pretty shy person, but once I started wearing glasses my confidence level actually went up and I’m not sure if it was because I could now see or because I had always wanted to wear glasses and it had fulfilled a deep seated need, but I was more confident, outgoing and comfortable wearing glasses.

My first glasses were a dull silver or gunmetal half frame pair and over the years I have only worn metal frames. I did try a pair of plastic frames once, but found them to be too uncomfortable and no matter what my eye doctor did they were constantly slipping down and driving me crazy, he was able to find a pair of wire frames that the lenses fit into and my try at plastic frames had ended in failure. My current glasses that I wear most of the time are a rimless rectangular frames with plastic temples that have transition lenses that I love.

At one time I also tried contact lenses at my sisters urging; she has been wearing glasses for about nine years longer than I have and really hated wearing glasses, but loved her contacts and told me ” it’s like your not wearing glasses anymore and you have to give them a try,” Since we were the only ones in our family that wore glasses and it was one of the major things we really had in common I followed her lead. At the time she did not know how much I liked wearing glasses, but I tried them anyway to make her happy and to basically shut her up! However, after about six months I was ready to end the experiment, what I found out was: I really hated wearing contacts and truly loved wearing glasses and could not wait to start wearing them again. When my sister saw me in my glasses during the day she asked me why I wasn’t wearing my contacts? I finally had to sit her down and tell her that I didn’t like them, had no desire to wear them and did it to make her happy, but liked wearing, no actually LOVED wearing glasses. I also told her I had always wanted to wear glasses from the time she got her first pair and unlike her, getting glasses had been one of the best days of my life and I really found wearing glasses to not be a big deal and never had any problems having to wear glasses. She was surprised at my admission, but later told me she wished she could feel the same way as I did about wearing glasses. I told her the major difference between the two of us was: she didn’t have a desire or need to wear glasses as I did and was told she needed to wear them to see and when I was told I needed glasses it was something I had always wanted and fulfilled a need in my life, so it didn’t bother me.

Today friends ask me why I don’t have LASIK surgery so I won’t have to wear glasses anymore and I have to tell them basically the same thing I had to tell my sister about wearing contacts years ago.

3. avatar Julia says:

I’ve been wearing glasses for four years, and I love them. Lately everyone has been trying to persuade me to get contacts, and I’ve been seriously thinking about it. First of all, I’m super squeamish, but beyond that, I really love my glasses. I get so excited when I get new frames, not only for actually being able to see, but the new style. They represent me, and I feel like half my face is gone when I’m not wearing them!

4. avatar Ginny811 says:

Yeah I have glasses I am not sure that I love them or not.

5. avatar Marie says:

i LOVE mine to they really do make me complete … only i can still see without them only i can see better with them. even when i dont have them on i still push my nose as if my glasses were on my face….

• avatar Jim says:

Meg it is nice to see how much you really embrace wearing your glasses. You have made them a part of who you are and you enjoy shopping for new glasses just as would for shoes. Something you didn’t say, but I am sure you also enjoy the complements on your glasses when you get a new pair. Funny thing have you ever thought about how many more complements you get on your glasses than on new shoes? I bet on the days you choose to wear contacts you probably feel somewhat naked don’t you?
      Marie it’s good that your vision is still good enough that you can see pretty well without your glasses, but if you truly enjoy wearing your glasses like Meg does then even with a weak prescription there is no harm in wearing your glasses as much as you like, even full time. Wearing your glasses won’t cause your eyes to get any worse.