The Commandments Of Leggings As Pants

I don't even think I own real pants anymore. Source: Shutterstock

I don’t even think I own real pants anymore. Source: Shutterstock

One of my guy friends told me to put on some pants the other day. I was really confused because I was wearing pants. Well, I was wearing leggings. But leggings are pants in my mind and wardrobe. And what would have made my leggings more pants-esque? Pockets on my butt? A zipper? How do my leggings differ from my skinny jeans other than those factors? Oh right… THEY DON’T.

I’m here to state that I am pro-leggings as pants. I know it’s a controversial stance, but I don’t care. I’ll lobby for it in front of Congress if I have to! Leggings are pants. They are just super stretchy, amazingly comfortable pants. They breathe better, they’re less constricting and you can eat and eat and eat in them without having to unbutton.

I don’t know why this is deemed unacceptable by some. I mean, of course there are some rules you should follow. I dub these the Commandments Of Leggings As Pants:

1. Leggings must not be see-through: This is very important. Many stores sell leggings that are so thin, you can see all your business. That’s just really impractical. See-through pants will not keep you warm. Make sure your leggings are opaque because then they will be pants. See-through leggings are known as tights or pantyhose.

2. In the event your leggings are sheer, wear a long top: If you can in fact see through your leggings, you must wear something that covers your butt. Seriously, just do it.

3. Leggings must not have holes in them: Obviously your leggings are comfortable so you will wear them all the time. They will rip and tear from use eventually. In the event that this happens, buy new leggings.

4. Leggings should be the appropriate size: Leggings do come in sizes. Because they are pants. But rules of pants also apply here, which means you should buy the size that your body needs. No one sees your tag except you, and if it bothers you just snip the tag off.

5. Leggings should be of neutral colors: Black, gray, brown, navy. Patterned leggings are a thing now and these are fine, but use your best judgement. White leggings are a no-go.

So if you want to wear leggings as pants, go for it! Don’t let your regular-pants-wearing friends or anyone else ruin your comfort!

Do you wear leggings as pants? Do you think leggings are pants? Tell me in the comments!

Dudes are wearing makeup??

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter!

Posted in: Stuff We Heart
Tags: , , ,

1. avatar ed99919 says:

This is the problem with americans they are just a bunch of control freaks!!! theyre not naked? they cover? shut the heck up already and stop trying to control everybody! my Lord!

2. avatar LenaK says:

Believe it or not, I do wear them BECAUSE they are comfortable. Yeah, yeah. If you think they don’t look good on some girls who don’t like to wear a long top on top of leggings, then it’s none of your business. THAT’S YOUR opinion and you don’t have the right to tell other people how to dress. I can’t believe some people still can’t grasp the fact that what they think of other people’s style doesn’t and shouldn’t matter. SO WHAT if you think they’re just freakin’ wearing them to look sexy? IT’S STILL NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. WEAR WHATEVER YOU’RE COMFORTABLE IN. IF YOU DON’T LIKE THEM, DON’T.WEAR.THEM.

3. avatar Carly says:

I so wear leggings as pants. They are comfortable and they go lovely with certain things. I don’t understand some people when they think that leggings aren’t pants. I mean they are long and they cover your bottem half of your body. Just like sweatPANTS they are pants.

4. avatar Megan says:

Honestly, I don’t care. I agree with the rules though. If your leggings are see through, cover up. If not do whatever you like! They’re pretty much the same thing as yoga pants, and i see girls walking around in those without being covered all the time. So I don’t see a difference. Haha. If you like them as pants wear them as pants, if you don’t, don’t. I myself? Sometimes I cover, sometimes I don’t. But none of my leggings are sheer.

5. avatar Selena says:

They are not pants. This gets me so mad. Wear yoga pants if you want to show off.

6. avatar Alex says:

It is people like you guys that make me weep for humanity. It doesn’t look good. It’s okay with a dress or something but the rest of the time it looks gross and slutty.

7. avatar Jamie says:

I wear leggings as pants and I truly believe they are pants. Where I live mostly everybody wears leggings as pants so we don’t have a problem here. Opaque pantyhose are not leggings, not even close and I wouldn’t wear them as pants ever. I do however wear pantyhose under my leggings instead of panties so there is no visible panty lines. Just watch out for packaged leggings they may be no thicker then footless tights which are not heavy enough to be leggings. i live in leggings, have been since the early 80′s and I will wear them when I want and where I want.

8. avatar Nia says:

It’s my body and I’ll wear whatever I damn well please!

But I think the issue that people have with leggings is that they outline every curve on your lower half…EVERY CURVE. Including the curve that is your vulva. Apparently, it makes people uncomfortable to see the shape of my vagina. Oops.

• avatar bree says:

Ok I know that’s right… IM down with wearing whatever I want. And whenever…. And if they don’t like it then don’t look. Whatever just because you wear leggings doesn’t mean you want to be sexy. I wear leggings to work out and IM not trying to be sexy to work out, that’s the goal afterwords though…. So I agree with you

• avatar Emma says:

Thats why I feel uncomfertable wearing them, but if someone else wants to they can go for it!

9. avatar Lindsay says:

Oh my. Don’t even get me started on this.

And don’t even try to use the “but they’re so comfortable!” excuse. If all these girls cared about was comfort, they’d be in sweats all day. People who wear pants as leggings just want to be sexy. There are better, classier ways to be sexy, ladies.

10. avatar Lindsay says:

Oh my. Don’t even get me started on this.

LEGGINGS ARE NOT PANTS. There is an enormous difference between them and skinny jeans. Skinny jeans do not cause VPL and cameltoe. Skinny jeans are not tights without feet. I am amazed that the author of this thinks that there is no difference between the two. You want to wear thick yoga pants? Fine. But leggings were made to go under your clothes.

11. avatar Cat says:

Leggings are NOT pants…
    I understand that they’re comfortable, but as pants they do not work! They display exactly what your body looks like w/o them on (do you really want everyone you meet every day to see that?) and I find them not very attractive anyway.
    Also, there’s a disturbing gray area where there’s the chance that your leggings will be see-through from certain distances/angles that you are not aware of. Leggings-as-pants are like the wardrobe TMI.

12. avatar Gina says:

i dont care what people say if YOU like leggings and it makes YOU feel good then u should wear them . if they dont then dont .

13. avatar Marie says:

They are so pants…… I love them and i’m so glad i’m not the only one who thinks so

14. avatar jazzi says:

omg!! i love wearing leggings as pants ALL THE TIME!! <3 but the funniest thing happened to me last week! my crush and his family are friends of my family and they came for like a christmas lunch last week!! i was wearing black leggings with this really cute jumper thing, coz it was just casual. i get so nerveous around this guy, he is sooo hot!! anyway i had been wearing white underpants and they night, when i got changed there were two holes in the butt!! one of them was quite big so i had been walking around in front of my crush with a hole in my butt exposing my white undies!!! ahhhh

15. avatar Katie says:

I love wearing leggings!! They’re cute with long tops. It’s just weird when I see someone wearing leggings with a top that isn’t long enough.

16. avatar JustDMarie says:

I always wear legging as pants, they are so much comfier them Jeans, but I loves my jeans either way =P

17. avatar Lissa says:

At last! I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought that way!
    Leggins CAN BE WORN as pants, girls, and you don’t need to be super skinny to pull that look off!
    I often wear leggins with longish sweatshirts, but not long enough to cover my butt completely, and I don’t think it looks bad. I just wouldn’t wear them as pants for my grandpa’s birthday party lol.

18. avatar Satie says:

ALSO for the love of sanity, don’t wear underwear that you can see through the leggings. If you do? Make sure your rear is covered at ALLLLL times

19. avatar Sabrina says:

I do not care what anyone has to say. Leggings are NOT pants! I wear leggings all of the time and I do agree with your list of what you should wear with leggings, but I also believe no matter what kind of leggings you are wearing, you should have a long shirt that covers your butt. I have never seen a girl look good with a short shirt and some leggings on. It looks gross. You would not wear tights with a short shirt would you? Leggings are just thicker tights and should always have a long shirt covering you up.

20. avatar Alana says:

Personally, leggings are just thicker, opaque pantyhose. Skinny jeans are made of a thicker material and show your figure without also showing the exact shape of your butt. Just because some skinny people can get away with it and look good does not make them pants.

• avatar Rose says:

I’ve seen plenty of DIFFERENT sized girls wear leggings as pants and look fine! I do it whenever I feel like it! It’s not like calling a sports bra a crop-top or saying a halter top is appropriate for swimming(seen it) You can’t see trough them, they come i different colors and they even have jeggings! If jeggings are acceptable, leggings are too. Plus you cant even tell someone is wearing jeggings so who cares!

Also skinny jeans arent as comfortable so therefore will never replace my love of leggings.

• avatar umu says:

um no they are pants and so what about skinny people, i am curvy and i wear leggings and i look fine, and skinny jeans are torture, if i want to wear leggings i will gosh i know this is america and all and its not our custom but be considerate.

• avatar Tinkerbell57 says:

I agree wth Alana! So stop critisizing her….sorry I can’t spell, like ever……..like someone said…this is america…….. so let her be! If you can say what you want why cant she? Everyone just needs to chill. Its her oppinion, she can share it. Dont critisize her if you dont want to be critisized……and i think they are inappropriate for places like school, church, funerals, and volunteer events…..which is where people wear them(dont tell me i am wrong, i have seen it all, i have also been behind that girl with the see through legging and neon pink thong going up croweded stairs)!!!!!