Ugh, Anne Hathaway, Why Are You Ruining My Life?

Anne Hathaway, The Taming Of The Shrew

Source: Apega/WENN.com

This morning I read something that kind of bummed me out: there is going to be yet another movie adaptation of Shakespeare’s “The Taming Of The Shrew” and Anne Hathaway is supposedly going to star in it.

Ugh. First of all… Hollywood, why can’t you ever make anything original anymore? Why do you have to keep taking old movies or stories that have already been done before, and were done well, and remaking them until you turn a wonderful thing into a horrible thing that everyone can’t even stand looking at anymore? How did that work out for you with The Amazing Spider-Man, huh?

Hollywood, you already made an adaptation of “The Taming Of The Shrew” and it was called 10 Things I Hate About You and it was only one of the greatest teen rom-com’s ever. I don’t care what kind of “different” spin you’re putting on it, you’re still taking old ideas and making them “new” again. Why can’t all of Hollywood be more like Quentin Tarantino, who, okay, is very violent, but who also makes original movies that stand out because they genuinely are new?

Secondly, why does Anne Hathaway have to take over one of my favorite works of Shakespeare? Why is the world doing this to me? Look, I know Anne Hathaway just won a Golden Globe and I know she was nominated for an Oscar for her 20 minute role in Les Miserables, but I can’t get on board with liking her. In my opinion, there are few celebrities who come off as snobby, presumptuous and full of themselves as Anne Hathaway does. I’m sorry. But it needs to be said (and it has).

Let’s just take her recent antics at the Golden Globes into consideration. First of all, she started off her acceptance speech with “blergh.” NO, Ann Hathaway. No. You cannot use Tina Fey’s word in your speech because you and Tina are on completely different levels. Second of all, when Le Miserables won, she felt the need to grab the mic to continue her acceptance speech. The world collectively groaned and said, “Anne Hathaway, get out of here!”

But enough with the Anne Hathaway hate… sort of. All I’m really saying is that I don’t think there needs to be yet another re-imagining of “The Taming Of The Shrew.” Heath Ledger, Julia Stiles and Joseph Gordon-Levitt got it completely right the first time around. We don’t need Anne in there making things all weird and annoying. Am I the only one hoping this rumor is really just a rumor?

Would you be excited about this movie? Are you a fan of Anne Hathaway? Do you agree with me? Tell me in the comments.

Is this the best tweet ever?

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter

Posted in: Celebs & Hot News
Tags: , ,

1. avatar she says:

this was unnecessarily mean :/

2. avatar MabelPines says:

I find Anne Hathaway a pretty good actress, she’s proved she can play a variety of roles and have a decent singing voice. But to me,she will always be Mia Thermopolis which can get a bit distracting when you’re watching her as a dying prostitue.

3. avatar Jenny says:

To Jessica Booth and the enitre Gurl team,
    I just wanted to say that I’ve been a regular visitor to this website for years and as such wanted to express my disappointment at your deteriorating standard of articles.
    (I’d like to highlight the hypocrisy of having Booth’s catty article of girl-on-girl hate running parallel to one which chatises Selena Gomez for identical behaviour).

In the past during my awkward teenage years I found your website to be a sort of objective haven where I could find unbiased advice on any genre of teen trouble I was experiencing.

I express my heartfelt sadness that your focus seems now to be the source and perpetuators of the sort of painful, gossipy trash that most teen girls want to escape from.

• avatar Emily says:

I agree. This website used to be so helpful to me, but now I find myself just re-reading old articles from two or three years ago instead of reading new ones. All the articles seem to be about celebrities–hardly any about surviving one’s teenage years. Ah, well.

4. avatar Ciara says:

I personally love Anne Hathaway. She was and still is part of my childhood and will hopefully be part of my adult hood. But now since she’s been in so many movies she needs to be in one that every one will remember.

5. avatar blair says:

Ughh, why are they using a very talented period actress for a movie of a very underrated Shakespearean play? How dare they! I mean, like, take Clueless! Clueless was amazing and flawless! Why on earth did they even BOTHER making another movie based on Emma ever again!?

Here’s a question, why does this article exist? It doesn’t tell us anything other than the author has a catty hatred of Anne Hathaway. I had to go to the other link to even learn anything about this movie. Shakespeare done by the people behind Atonement, The Iron Lady, and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy? Heck yes, sign me up.

You don’t have to like her as an actress, you don’t have to like her as a person. But completely bashing her on multiple aspects for just doing her job and being in movies is kinda low, dontcha think?

6. avatar Amber says:

Also you misspelled Les Miserables.

7. avatar Amber says:

1. Calling Quentin Tarantino original? That just shows how little you understand his works. Tarantino is one of my favorite filmmakers, and pretty much all of his works are based off of pre-existing genres and stories, just with different twists. (Django is based off of spaghetti westerns and blacksploitation films, Pulp Fiction is based on, well, pulp fiction stories, Kill Bill is based off of the Charlie’s Angels style 70s action, etc.) Asking for Hollywood to do something “original” is just silly. There is an old saying that there are only 7 stories. Nothing is that original.

2. Yes how DARE they remake The Taming of The Shrew. There can only be one right? It’s not like there have been numerous retellings of Hamlet that were successful and good right? (Including THE LION KING.) No, can only be adapted once, right? PS, Shakespeare himself wasn’t original. Almost all of his plays were distillations, adaptions, or re-imaginings of pre-existing stories. BUT MODERN ADAPTIONS ARE BAD RIGHT?

3. As someone who loved the Taming of the Shrew but doesn’t like modernization language-updated versions, or teen rom-coms for that matter, I would much prefer a straight adaptation of the Bard.

8. avatar melissaB says:

I am getting VERY sick of these personal rants. I come here to read unbiased articles, not snarky opinions about people that you don’t happen to like. I for one LOVE Anne, and am very excited that she might be starring in a new movie soon. I think many of the authors here really need to take it down a notch, and rather than bullying Anne, focus more on her positive aspects. You say she was nominated for her “20 minute role” in Les Mis, MANY actors have received awards for parts much smaller than that, like Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross. They receive these nominations because they deserve these nominations. Please consider your reader’s feeling before posting another opinionated rant.

9. avatar Lucie says:

I kinda agree with Tayy here. It this did feel abit like a personal vent. Thats ok, everyones intitled to their own opinion. The thing is you don’t actually have to watch it! I didn’t like the idea of Hathaway in One Day, so I didn’t watch it, wasn’t the end of the world.
    Athough, how can you be so mad that she was nominated for an oscar? Yes it was a short part, but Hathaway was still the best actor/ actress in it and the most accurate Fantine I’ve ever seen. She deserves that nomination for her work, no matter what anyone might feel about her personally.

10. avatar Janice says:

First of all, I have to disagree on the Anne Hathaway thing. I totally love her and I believe she’s one of the most talented girls in the industry. I really admire her and I also think she looks like an awesome person. However, I also think that we’re lacking originality in the film industry nowadays. I hope directors and writers are able to stop with the remakes, sequels, reboots, etc. It’s horrible.

11. avatar Tayy says:

Sounds like a personal vendetta/dislike for Anne. Imagine if that was your favorite actress, then you’d would be ecstatic. Well that’s how some people are about her. So, let’s try not to let our own opinions get in the way of writing( objectivity not subjectivity.) Because this article is subjective. I politely disagree. Anne is a lovely well-rounded actress. And hey The Amazing Spider Man was a great movie ! Rehashing classics is not a crime, brings it to a new generation. Of course we have to footloose and fame redo’s which were just awful (I mean fame no dancing in the streets on cars!? NOT FAME). However not all are like that. So I think we have to calm down and really think of the real reason why you don’t want this to happen…

And for the website you linked, some of them say they hate her because she is too perfect, or they hate her for no reason at all. They say she ruins movies, but really she makes movies. She may not be no Angelina Jolie, but she is gorgeous regardless, that page is demeaning her for being too good, not good enough, not pretty enough. This girl can’t win can she? Mad because she blocked Jake’s **** ohh come on. Let’s be real. Tell me a realistic reason why you dislike her.