I Missed My Period But I Don’t Have Sex – What’s Going On?

Hey Heather!

I haven’t had sex or really fooled around with anyone at all. But recently, I missed my last two periods. My period has been irregular since it started. There is no possible way I can be pregnant, so why am I getting it at different times or not getting it at all? How can I make my period more regular?

An irregular menstrual cycle can be super annoying – but the good news is is that it’s usually not a big deal. There are actually a lot of reasons your period might be late or irregular, and it happens to women all the time, so don’t feel like you’re the only one.

When did you get your first period? If you got it recently, it’s totally normal for your cycle to be a little out of whack. It can take a few months or longer for your period to start showing up on a regular basis each month. If you don’t think that’s the case, there are a few other simple explanations. Stress can delay your period for months at a time, so if you’re worried about school or a crush or stuff with your family, you could be unknowingly putting off your menstrual cycle. And if you’re stressing about your period being late, that’s probably making things even worse. It’s sort of a viscious cycle.

Another reason could be your weight. If you’ve gained or lost a lot of weight recently, you could have put your cycle off balance. And if you’re exercising a lot, that could be another reason you’ve missed it. Another thing to look out for is any new medication you might have just started taking – if that sounds like it could be happening, talk to your doctor about it. Illness can be another reason you miss your period or are late. Whew. See how many things can mess up all that stuff going on down there?!

Some more complicated issues could be a thyroid issue, uterine scarring or a hormonal imbalance. But try not to worry about that – more than likely it’s one of the reasons I talked about above. The fact is, some people just have really irregular menstrual cycles – personally, the reason I went on birth control pills in the first place was to make my period more regular. Before I went on the pill, I skipped months all the time and it was really frustrating.

In the end, I can’t tell you exactly what’s going on with your body, only your doctor can. I would suggest seeing a gynecologist and talking to them about the issue. They can let you know if something more serious is going on or if you need to take pills to regulate your period.

take care,
Heather

What’s on your mind? Heather can help! Send her your question at heather@gurl.com

The funniest lies you tell when you’re on your period

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter

Posted in: Body & Health
Tags: , , , ,

1. avatarBrittany says:

MY PERIODS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN IRREGULAR EVER SINCE I’VE HAD ONE. I HADN’T HAD A PERIOD IN OVER A YEAR AND FINALLY CAME ON THE OTHER DAY. IM HAVING THE WORST CRAMPS OF MY LIFE AND DIARHEA. HELP DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I CAN TAKE FOR IT??

2. avatarJillian says:

I usually get my period around the first wednesday of the month.. But i don’t remember getting it last month, only in October.. I’m also a virgin so i can’t be pregnant.. But i’ve been eating lots even when i’m not hungry, i’ve lost interest in things lots also.. Am i depressed/stressed?? I also have been worrying about school and my family, so that kind of explains it and so does the worrying about my period time.. But i don’t know what’s wrong with me?

3. avatarAngela says:

I’ve had my period for about a year (or so) maybe a bit longer. My periods were alays regular. Until now. It’s been 33 days since my last period STARTED. On the last day of that period I was fulling around with my boyfriend (we weren’t having sex,he was just touching me “down there” and kissing. I don’t think he touched himself before that. And if he did I’m sure as hell he would wash his hands.) And I’m worried I might be pregnant (I know it’s stupid)…but still..is it possible?

• avatarAlex says:

I’ve actually having the exact same problem. I’m glad I’m not the only one who has had this, it’s been around a month since my last period ended and I’m getting a bit freaked out. I don’t think it’s a silly thing to be worried you’re pregnant, honestly I’ve had the same worry….

4. avatarElma says:

Hey, I had my first period early last year, around May, and I always had my period on time since then, but only until two months ago. My period came a few days later the first time, the second time it came a few days earlier and this month it did not come at all at the expected time.. It’s all very weird for me but everyone is mentioning the fact that everyone’s cycle differs so I guess I shouldn’t be stressing. You shouldn’t either. Even though it’s wild to miss a period even though you aren’t having sex, don’t stress.

5. avatarchloestarbarz says:

I’ve had my periods for about 2/3 yrs but I’ve NEVER been regular which is frustrated I’m 14 15 soon i started at 12 round about but sometimes I could go 3months without one which is scary also I can stop and start or heavy and light all in 7days. It did worry me cause I haven’t lost the V-card and I would love to have children. Now I don’t worry as much now cause it’s horrid when your on. I don’t know if to see a doctor either I may wait till 16 cause I can see the dr on ma own. Hunni I recommened carrying either a pad or tampon with you when your out and about so your prepared. If you need someone to talk to just reply to the comment and I’ll give you my email or facebook. Just SMILE :) its rubbish to feel sad.

6. avatarKess says:

I had sex in December and then my period came on time right after. I also had my period on time in January. But it’s now the 27th of February and my period has not showed up yet. I don’t know if it’s because i’m stressed out or the worst that it could be if i’m pregnant.

7. avatarCarrie says:

I’ve had my period for five years (I’m fifteen, I know I started a bit early) and I’ve always been irregular. I get my period every month and a half to two months. My gyno says it’s nbd. Everybody’s period is different.

8. avataryssubramanyam says:

some times periods are irregular. less blood /anemic also may be one reason, how ever consult doctor.