I Can’t Believe He Said That

Sometimes it can be sort of flattering to notice to a dude obviously checking you out. As superficial as it may sound, realizing that someone else thinks you look super hot can give you a little bit of a self-esteem boost. But then sometimes that whole situation just gets creepy and weird and actually makes you wish that person never looked at you to begin with. Guess what? This was one of those times.

Last week, I went out to a restaurant with my boyfriend and his friends. We were standing around waiting for our table to be ready when a guy walked past us. As he passed me (really, really close to me, by the way), he looked me up and down in a way that made me feel a little uncomfortable. When he looked up and saw my boyfriend standing next to me staring him down, he did something that didn’t even make me uncomfortable – it just annoyed the hell out of me.

As my boyfriend was glaring at him, the guy pointed at me and said, “Is this yours?” My boyfriend, totally confused, said, “Um… yeah?” And then the dude, super seriously, said, “Shake my hand, man.”

UM. Was I supposed to be complimented by this or something? I mean, “Is this yours?” Am I wrong in thinking that that’s a pretty offensive thing to say about someone? The last time I checked, I wasn’t a jacket or a piece of furniture that could be claimed. I also wasn’t aware that my boyfriend owns me. I guess I kind of understand what this dude was trying to say, but he basically said it in the worst way possible. Sorry, dude, I’m not anyone’s… I’m my own person.

Do you think this was an offensive thing to say or am I overreacting? Would you have taken that as a compliment? Tell me in the comments.

Check out these supposedly nice but actually horrible guys

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter

Posted in: Health, Sex & Relationships
Tags: ,

1. avatar faz says:

you’ve got every right to be offended by that – yeah, so he must have been attracted to you, but eying you up and down and then referring to you as an object?!

that’s pure douche bag material.

2. avatar YesSiNo says:

I totally agree with Kylee’s comment! Haha!

3. avatar Love says:

YES YES YES.Totally rude.It was most likely a time when a guy didn’t really mean to be a jerk but being a dumb guy did anyway.It was disrespectful.

4. avatar Kylee says:

Ugh, more overreacting. I don’t find the majority of these to be very interesting because the writer is almost alway being way overdramatic. I mean, they’re called, “I Can’t Believe He Said That” and it’s always accompanied by that same picture of a woman who looks quite shocked. The fact that he said that is not anything to be shocked about, and I can, in fact, believe that he said that. If someone said that to me while I was in the presence of my boyfriend, I would probably laugh. It is not a big deal in any way, shape, or form. I mean my god Ms. Booth. Lighten up a little, and don’t get so worked up over trivial comments.

• avatar LittleRedWolfGirl says:

Actually, she’s not overreacting at all. That is an incredibly derogatory thing to say to anyone, but hearing come from a guy when talking about a woman is definitely an issue. It’s not just that the guy was asking if she “belonged” to her boyfriend, which is messed up, but the fact that he said “this” as opposed to “she” just really takes the cake. “This”? Like she’s not even a person, but rather an item, or a pet. He was talking about her as if she wasn’t there. It’s reducing women to being viewed as property, and while some people might say I’m making a big deal out of nothing, I’ll say right now, no, I’m not. People with this sort of attitude are the reason women don’t have total equal rights, even though it’s 2013. If I had been in this girl’s shoes, you can bet I would have spoken up and told that jerk how rube he was being. If anyone, especially a guy, EVER says anything like that to you, don’t keep quiet, because it’s SO not okay.

• avatar Mads says:

Oh My Gosh, Kylee, you are SO right. The next time I am addressed in a degrading and sexist way by a pervert, I will totes be a doormat and laugh it off. Revolutionary stuff you come up with, huh?

5. avatar Lauren says:

You shoulda hurt the bitch. That is so offensive.