Why Taylor Swift (And Any Other Girl, For That Matter) Is Not A Slut

Taylor Swift dating taylor swift boyfriend taylor swift harry styles slut

Taylor Swift dating 13 guys in three years seems farfetched–and certainly doesn’t make her a slut. | Source: WENN

Taylor Swift has had a tumultuous and often public love life, and now she’s starting to get some unwarranted heat for it. A certain entertainment news correspondent tried to slut shame Taylor Swift over Twitter recently, and while we won’t validate this guy by linking you to his post or telling you who he is, we’ll sum it up: He compared Miley Cyrus‘ somewhat rebellious, loose reputation with Taylor Swift’s wholesome, All-American girl through their love lives. He pointed out that Miley’s been dating and is now engaged to the same guy for three years (the gorgeous Liam Hemsworth). He then pointed out that the Taylor Swift dating life that she’s so notorious for: a rumored 13 guys in the same three years.

Here’s why that’s a problem.

First of all, it’s no one’s business who anyone else has sex with. But since he’s making every effort to make it his business, we should point out that Taylor Swift probably hasn’t actually dated every single guy she’s been linked to in the press–where would she find the time? And even if Taylor Swift dated these dudes, that doesn’t mean she was sleeping with them (not that it would make a difference either way).

Of course, this all comes with a bit of irony. Taylor Swift herself was rumored to be slut shaming actress Camilla Belle in her lyrics to “Better Than Revenge,” rumored to be about ex Joe Jonas. She sings, “She’s an actress / But she’s better known for the things that she does on the mattress.” Not nice, Swifty! Hopefully she knows better now about how damaging that attitude is. Slut shaming in general is a way to keep women down–and when women do it to one another, it stunts our progress and growth twice as much. It’s just as bad as imaginary celeb feuds.

Having sex doesn’t make someone a slut, no matter how often she has it nor with however many lucky guys she as sex with. The only thing that creates a slut is a misogynist attitude and unwarranted judgment from others. Period.

The fact is, Taylor Swift, Camilla Belle, and Miley Cyrus are all adults and their sex lives are their own business. As long as they’re all happy, safe, and consenting, who cares what they’re doing and who they’re doing it with?

Okay, maybe Harry Styles cares. But that should really be it.

Do you think Taylor Swift has a good or bad reputation? Do you think it’s fair to compare Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift? Do you think slut shaming is fair? Tell us in the comments!

At least we know Taylor Swift is probably having safe sex!

And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter!

Posted in: Discuss
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

1. avatar Ananya says:

It’s actually her personal life and people have nothing to do with it. If people don’t like her music, they shouldn’t listen to it. They can’t criticize a person based on their personal life.Like her music or don’t listen. You really don’t need to hate on her and call her names, as long as you aren’t half as successful and talented as she is. Yes, I don’t like her music, but she is talented. To write songs based on breakups and pouring all emotion which is felt by her listeners is not an easy thing to do.

2. avatar whyiscommonsensesorare says:

I only like three of Swift’s songs: Safe and Sound, Mean and Eyes Open – the last one happens to be my favourite Swift song.
    Her songs have no substance. I don’t care what she does in the rain, I don’t want to know why she and PoorGuyA are ‘never ever ever getting back together’, I don’t care if she’s going to burn PoorGuyB’s pictures, and I don’t care that ‘the story of us looks a lot like a tragedy now.’
    Her “Picture to Burn” song is really dumb. So PitifulDude#1 didn’t let you drive his truck. Gee, I’m sure that’s a lot more important than the starving children in third world countries…

3. avatar Aoife says:

I used to love Taylor Swift and if she ever came to my town two years ago, I would’ve gone her to see her but now i’m not sure.
    I was lying on my bed one day listening to her music and then like a bolt of lightining hitting me, I realised I hated her music; it was always about her crappy relationship problems, wasn’t she origional enough to come up with a song NOT about her love life? Granted some of her songs are about other things, but the majority of her songs are about her love life.
    I can’t help feeling sorry for her though, she obviously wants to fall madly in love, get married and have lots of kids which I can’t see happening anytime soon with the way she’s going. I mean seriously if she wants to settle down she should NOT be going out with 18 year old boys! Harry Styles may be one of the mature 18 year olds out there who do want to settle down but most of them would most likely just want to have fun.
    I think comparing her to Miley Cyrus is wrong, she just isn’t as lucky as Miley is and slut shaming because of that is cruel (although I think she’s a psycho when it comes to any relationship).

4. avatar Jess says:

Ppl say what they want but I don’t think Miley is because the way she dress a girl can dress how they want and ppl need to shutup the are not hurting you ….you are mad b/c you can’t look like that

5. avatar Jessica says:

Though I don’t agree with the slut comment, I still feel she is really immature for writing songs about her past loves. She obviously goes to fast in her relationships. If her and Harry stiles break up she’ll maybe another hit song called ” I went in the WRONG DIRECTION” her musics all the same, teenage love songs and heartache, typical Taylor.

6. avatar Bree says:

Ok, it is very evident Taylor can’t seem to keep a boyfriend for more than 2 months. I personally think its because she is too clingy( ex- she always buys a house near her current BF) or its because she goes for 18 year-old boys at 23 (ex- Harry Styles and Conner Kennedy). In the end I think Taylor is not a innocent girl.

7. avatar Courtney says:

I actually disagree… Taylor is not as innocent as she seems and is becomming more promiscuous each day. The fame is just getting to her head.

8. avatar Ana says: