Is The Bump On My Vagina An Ingrown Hair Or Something More Serious?

Got something brewing down there? | Source: ShutterStock

Is the bump on my vagina an ingrown hair or something more serious?

ChickRx expert Dr. Diana Hoppe, Ob/Gyn and Sexual Health Expert says:

Glad you asked that question. I have a lot of young women who come into my office very concerned about bumps on their pubic area. For the most part, a little education in ingrown hairs could save them a whole lot of worrying.

So, an ingrown hair infection usually occurs after shaving. There will be redness around certain hair follicles. Typically, these aren’t that big. (Think less than pea size.) The follicle will be surrounded by only a small amount of redness. This redness is the inflammation caused by the infection.

While ingrown hairs aren’t pretty or fun, they’re nothing to freak over. They are best controlled by applying an anti-bacterial ointment immediately after shaving your bikini line or really, anywhere on your pelvic area. Bacitracin works really well. It’s an ointment that you can get at any drug store.

If the area becomes more red and inflamed and the bump is bigger than a pea, it could be a different kind of infection. For example, the bump could actually be an abscess. This kind of bump on your vagina needs to be looked at by a doctor. It might need to be drained or you could be put on antibiotics to fix it.

I’m just talking about bumps on the hairy part of your pubic region now because you asked about ingrown hairs. If you notice a bump or lesion on the inner, pink area (or the vulva), you should definitely talk to a doctor. That could mean something a bit more serious is brewing…or it could be nothing. But, when in doubt, always seek medical advice. We doctors are around for a reason!

More from ChickRX:
I think I have a bikini line cyst. What should I do?

Is Your Doctor Encouraging Unsafe Sex?

Posted in: Down There
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. avatarNA says:

Do the ingrown hair bump have to turn red? because I think I have a ingrown hair bump but it’s not red and it does not have a white point. It’s also not a lot of little bumps it’s just one big but that been there for about a week or 2 and it is painful and you really can’t see it but I feel it and it hurts whn I try to pop it. Which I don’t think its ready. Also u can’t really see it but I can feel it and I see little hairs coming out and whn u push on it it’s painful.

2. avatarNA says:

3. avatarNA says:

Do the ingrown hair bump have to turn red? because I think I have a ingrown hair bump but it’s not red and it does not have a white point. It’s also not a lot of little bumps it’s just one big but that been there for about a week or 2 and it is painful.

4. avatarblahhblahh says:

What about if you dont shave the area and just randomly get what looks like a pimple ?

5. avatarSara says:

What do you do if you have an ingrowing hair ?

6. avatarMadeline says:

Is there a way to get rid of ingrown hairs once you have them?

7. avatarMzJayBay says:

i once popped one of thos because it was right where the button of pants were. it really hurt so i popped it and puss came out for about 5 minutes until everything was out and it began to bleed. was just like a pimple =]

8. avatarCeanne says:

OMG! this totally happened to me one time and I FREAKED OUT! Like crying, hyperventilating, scared to freaking death upset about it! ahahah But thank god my doc is super understanding and wasn’t freaked out by my hormonal out lash. Ladies, if you EVER has something about your lady bits that is even stressing you out a little it’s best just to hit up your gyno. Youll just continue to sit around stressing about it….and lets face it, most of the time its nothing or something super common and fixable. Save yourself the stress and go be best friends with your gyno ahaha