A giant HELLO! to everyone in the Gurl community! My name is Meg Malone, and I’m the new editorial intern around these parts. Let me first fill you in on a little secret – everyone here at Gurl is just as awesome as you’d think they are, and even though I’ve only been the intern here a couple weeks, it’s already a blast.
Things got a little crazy with the holiday, so I just wanted to take a second to introduce myself to you all officially. To celebrate the occasion, here’s ten kinda, sorta random things I thought up about myself:
1. My name is actually Meghan, but I started going by Meg exclusively my sophomore year of high school. I actually don’t really mind being called Meghan, but I was more annoyed that it always got spelled wrong so it was just easier to make the switch.
2. My favorite day of the year is the Academy Awards. I basically inhale anything to do with movie news and trivia all year round, so I take Oscar night as the chance to show off all of my knowledge and eat lots of fun snacks with my fellow movie-buff friends.
3. I was really sporty in high school and played twelve varsity seasons (field hockey, ice hockey and lacrosse!). I played varsity field hockey in college, though I ended up injuring my knee, so now I’m always up for trying new kinds of work out regimens.
4. I did a study abroad semester in Dublin, Ireland, which was amazing because both my grandmothers were born in Ireland, and I also did Irish stepdance growing up. I learned a ton taking classes about Irish culture and interning for a theater company there.
5. I’m obsessed with anything to do with Little Women. I’ve read the book, seen the 1994 movie version so many times I can basically recite it, wrote a modern chapter adaptation for an English final in college, and even went on a spring break literary road trip to Orchard House in Concord, MA. Like I said, just a little obsessed.
6. I love Eeyore from Winnie-the-Pooh. My sense of humor can skew on the self-deprecating side, so the gloomy little donkey has always been the one I connected with most. I have a lot of Eeyore doodads decorating my room.
7. Cheeseburgers are probably my all-time favorite food. I also love dessert, and being from Vermont, I have a special place in my heart for Ben & Jerry’s ice cream.
8. I decided in the fifth grade after watching the Today Show that I wanted to be a journalist (and I began a mild worship of Katie Couric). Sixteen years later, I did end up graduating from college with a journalism degree!
9. My high school had a uniform, so even through today, I’ve never put a lot of time into developing my wardrobe beyond jeans and t-shirts. Still, I do love tweaking little things about how I look, like picking out fun glasses (which I do actually need to see, but still!), switching up my nail color often, and dye-ing or chopping off my hair (I just got bangs over Thanksgiving!).
10. I am really committed to becoming ambidextrous. I broke my writing arm playing hockey in the 8th grade and I think I am pretty good at writing with my left hand now (okay maybe not great, but it’s readable). Whenever I’m bored, I practice writing with my left hand.
And that’s about it! I’m really looking forward to getting more in the groove as the intern here at Gurl, and of course continuing to read feedback from all of you out there from the comments, the Facebook, the Twitter, the Tumblr, etc. Can’t wait!
Do we have any similar interests? Want to know anything else about me? Give a shout in the comments!