Since more and more people keep going vegan every year, it’s good to know what’s what when it comes to eating green (although they eat more than just foods that are green!). I asked my vegan friend Danielle–the awesome chica who creates all our videos here at Gurl!–to explain what a vegan was to me, and she just said, “A vegan is someone awesome!” I’ll agree with her, but I think there’s a lot more to it than that. Here are all the facts about what it means to be a vegan:
* Vegans don’t eat anything that came from an animal. That means no red meat, no poultry, no pork, no fish, no eggs, no milk. If it came from an animal, they don’t want it.
* Lots of vegans choose to be vegan because they believe in the humane treatment of animals and disagree with seeing other living creatures as food.
* Being vegan doesn’t just you have to live on broccoli alone (although broccoli is delicious!). There are vegan tacos, vegan burgers, and even vegan cupcakes!
* Not all vegans are preachy or judgmental of other people who don’t choose their lifestyle. Some groups have given vegans the reputation of being pushy, angry people–but from the vegans I know, that’s usually not the case.
* Vegans can get plenty of protein, iron, and all the other nutrients they need from eating a varied diet of grains, veggies, fruits, nuts, and beans.
* Lea Michele, Olivia Wilde, Ellen DeGeneres, and Emily Deschanel are all vegans!
Have you ever thought about going vegan or do you have any vegan friends? Tell us in the comments!