Ask A Guy: What Are Some Signs A Guy Is In Love?

Dear Ethan,

How do guys show they are in love?

Usually, a guy will just post it on Facebook.

I’m only joking, of course (though if your man does, you might want to make sure he’s not also the type to break up on Facebook as well) – but guys do have a few gender-specific methods of expressing their love.

For one thing, guys often tend to be a bit less open with their emotions, leaning more heavily on physical cues instead. That’s not to say a woman in love won’t twirl her hair, bite her lip, or gaze longingly at her man while blinking coquettishly (okay, maybe that’s just The Little Mermaid), but often a guy in love won’t be able to keep his hands off of the lady of his dreams. Constant hugs, hand-grabs, affectionate smooches, or any other sweet action he wouldn’t normally be caught dead doing in front of his manly dude-pals are all signs that he’s hopelessly into you. Extra points awarded if he can’t stop calling or asking for plans, and super-mega bonus points if he can tolerate (or, dare he enjoy?!) your company even on your lowest, worstest of days.

But of course, the only way to know for sure if this is anything more than simple infatuation is for him to say so. As I’ve admitted before, I was the first to drop the L-bomb with my current girlfriend. But I might be an exception rather than a typical example, as most of my guy friends (especially the commitment-phobes) have let the women they’re dating (or are now married to!) take the verbal plunge first.

That said, no matter what type of guy you’re dating, you don’t have to feel like you need to take all your relationship cues from him. If you simply can’t hold it in any longer, let ‘er rip! If he’s not quite on the same page yet, don’t panic—give him some time and space to come to terms with how bonkers he truly is for you.

Good luck!
Ethan

Ethan Fixell is a writer and comedian from New York City best known as one half of comic “dating coach” duo Dave and Ethan. He is also the creator and editor of ActualConversation.com. For more on Ethan, visit EthanFixell.com…or call his mom, Robin.

Are you confused about a guy? Do you find yourself wondering, “What is he thinking?” Tell us everything in the comments! And if you have a question for Ethan, email him at askaguy@gurl.com!

How can you get your BF to open up to you?

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter

Posted in: Ask A Guy, Love Advice
Tags: , , , , , ,

1. avatar Just a Gurl says:

if a guy calls you pretty (not to your face, but rather to another guy), and you’re interested in him (and he finds out), will he be interested in you too?

2. avatar classifed says:

what if ur 13 ur bf is 12 going on 13 soon ur bff hates ur bf u have a cruch on ur bf and a nother dude how is a gofball not like ur bf how is a geek

3. avatar Ellen says:

What if you’re not in a relationship yet? How do you know of a guy likes you? I really like this guy and we’re just friends but I want more… He’s kind of shy so he doesn’t talk about his feeling with anyone so I really don’t know how he feels. Sometimes I catch him looking at me but this doesn’t mean anything, right?

4. avatar Kim says:

Well, I’ll be damned. My boyfriend really DOES love me. Not only does he do all the things listed, he was also the first to drop the L-bomb. And he is currently nursing poor flu-ridden me, by making me tea, and bringing me chocolate. Also, he thinks I look “lovely” at the moment. I just looked in a mirror, and clearly, the man needs glasses.
    I shall keep him, and make an honest man of him!

5. avatar LOVEkeisha says:

I had this guy for like a year from now, but we haven’t went out together.. Yes, we’re hanging out but with my bffs,.. I find this guy super shy with me. He confesses his feelings about me to my bff (that he liked me! blah blah blah), so i made a letter to him saying i liked him too with a gift for his birthday. And then he started to text me cheesy sms, but not always. I remembered once texting on him, but he didnt reply for like a week or something, i tried to do some moves, but i dont think it could help him to break the ice.. I just want him to be honest with me and tell me either he likes me or watsoeverr.. Im sooo confused reading his signals. I just want to know what he really wants..I NEED HELP PLEAAAASSE!! :(

6. avatar Morgan says:

There’s this cute guy in my class and we flirt almost every day. I really like him, but I don’t know if he likes me because he flirts with other girls too…..
    Help!!!

7. avatar kitkat101 says:

so true

8. avatar HannahDreams19 says:

Ok im new so that’s helpful

9. avatar mj_sneaky06 says:

I have this ex that I really love and we hang out all the time. I’ve mentioned to him once or twice that I stillhave feelings for him. His reaction was that I can find a btter guy, and he swears he doesn’t like me back. When I sit close to another guy or give them a hug he butts in and distracts me or that guy and its driving me crazy. Some days he walks slow and we have a deep conversation or he pulls my hair and says something silly. Other days he ignores me or starts a fight with me. What should I do??

• avatar Jamie says:

In all honesty, screw that guy. Not literally LOL. Like he sounds like one of those “I don’t want you, but I don’t want anyone else to have you either” types. He’s probably LOVING the control he’s having over you, too. You should move on and be sure to rub it in his face. He has to know that you wont wait around for him forever.