Why Are We Sending Death Threats To Celebrities?

death threats

Source: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN.com/ Apega/WENN.com

Okay guys, seriously – what is going on with hating on celebrities hardcore? And by “guys” I mean some VERY enthusiastic One Direction fans who are going a little too far here. A little too far meaning sending death threats to celebs who have done nothing to deserve them.

When it was rumored that Taylor Swift was dating Harry Styles, 1D fans freaked. Despite the fact that there are no pictures of these two together and no real, solid proof other than sources claiming the two singers are dating, Harry fanatics immediately started sending Taylor death threats. Sound familiar? That’s probably because Beliebers did the same thing when Justin Bieber started dating Selena Gomez. As you can see, those death threats did nothing to stop that relationship from happening – so why send them to another young “couple”?

And these crazed Directioners are not only targeting girls who may or may not be dating their celebrity crushes – they’re also going after Carly Rae Jepsen. This past weekend, Carly took home the award for New Artist of the Year at the American Music Awards, beating, you guessed it, One Direction. 1D fans tweeted nasty things like “carly rae jepsen more like carly rae kill yourself” and ”IM SCREAMING SO LOUD WHO VOTED FOR CARLY RAE JEPSEN I WILL KILL YR FIRSTBORN.”

Um, ladies? You need to calm yourselves down. I get it – you love Harry Styles and want him to be your boyfriend. But – and I’m not trying to sound mean here, but sometimes the truth hurts – you’re probably never going to have the chance to actually date Harry. And if you do and you tell him that you’re one of those girls who sent death threats to a chick he was rumored to be dating, do you think he’s going to be impressed? No. He’s probably going to be totally freaked out.

What I want to know is what is the point of hating on these celebrities like this? I know it can be hard to watch people like celebs win big, get the guy of your dreams and be in the spotlight, but acting out and trying to tear them down isn’t doing you any good. In fact, it’s only making you look a teensy bit pathetic. And seriously, death threats aren’t a joke. It’s not funny to tweet things like “kill yourself” or “I’ll kill your children.” You want to catch the attention of your superstar idols? That you will, but it will be the wrong kind of attention.

Also, sending death threats or wasting your time saying nasty things about these celebs isn’t going to change anything. All it’s going to do is spread hate and make you look a little crazy. It sounds like these people are taking things a little too personally. Taylor isn’t hanging out with Harry because she wants to make young girls jealous. And it’s not Carly Rae Jepsen’s fault that she won an award she had no control over and One Direction didn’t! It’s awesome that Carly worked hard and got recognized for her talent. It stinks that 1D didn’t win, but I’m sure they’ll win something else.

What I’m trying to say is that all of this celeb bashing isn’t cool. It’s pointless, silly and hard to watch. Quite frankly, if you’re one of those people posting death threats to anyone who gets too close to your fave band member, you don’t look like One Direction’s biggest fan – you look like One Direction’s craziest, most jealous fan. And that’s not who you are, right? Right.

What do you think about sending celebrities death threats? Have you ever done it? Have you ever hated on a celeb really bad? Tell us in the comments!

Guess who wants to use a condom tonight?

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter

Posted in: In the News
Tags: , , , ,

1. avatar Lola says:

Ugh, the idiots that exist these days. What if you were a famous singer and someone from 1D asked YOU out. I don’t think you would want people sending you death threats.

2. avatar Shannan says:

Alright, here’s my honest opinion. People (One Direction fans) need to calm down with the hate. I’m a fan myself but, I would not go to the extremes to send other celebrities death threats. And my reasons are simple 1. Taylor Swift- gorgeous, talented, and she seems like a nice person, and I have much respect for her. Carly Rae Jepsen- Talented(obviously she wouldn’t be a singer), pretty and no one deserves to be threatened with death it’s absolutely ridiculous and very immature. 2. Threatening One Directions acquaintances and friends is definitely not going to make them like or notice you anymore. 3. How would you feel if someone told you “I hope you die, stay away from (insert One Direction band member name). It’s ridiculous and so unnecessary. Kay, bye.

3. avatar maya says:

I love 1D but the people who do this have problems. Seriously, I think they actually have mental issues if they are that attached to people they don’t even know. These little 12 year olds who say such horrible things gives me a bad name when I say I like 1D. Ugh.

4. avatar Swagata says:

I’m 15 and I lurve One Direction. I think if you truly love 1D you gotta back off. Don’t send their girlfriends death threats, coz’ that’s Liam and Danielle broke up. And all 1D fans know how much that devastated him, so please, respect their feelings. And most of the girls who do that sort of stuff are around 11-12 and they have the maturity level of around 5. So guys, just back off, k?

5. avatar Violet_Rain says:

One thing that’s really shocked me about the 1D fanbase is how vicious some of them are. I know it’s not all of them and I don’t generally pay attention to them that much, but when a singer from a band I do like died in a motorbike accident a couple of weeks ago, I saw a lot of tweets from 1D fans along the lines of how he was a “whiny emo and deserved to die” and I was pretty shocked. Therefore, although these death threats disgust me, I’m not as surprised by them as I perhaps would have been had I read this article a month earlier. The level of hate among these fans is unbelievable. I can’t fathom how anyone could be so vile towards another human being. Even if someone is just an immature twelve year old, how could they think that sending death threats is ever okay?

6. avatar Cowboy Chasing says:

Im 18 and love One Direction! The thing is that most of their fans are 12 year old girls whos maturity level is about a 3 on a scale from 1 to 10! That’s why people don’t like One Direction, because when they think of them they think of their psycho little girl fans! It’s so frustrating because One Direction has amazing voices are just awesome guys!

7. avatar Lentil soup says:

Some Directioners are so extreme. And this article says everything I was thinking while reading articles about the topics mentioned. Bravo, Gurl!