Since dental dams aren’t nearly as popular or well known as condoms, you probably have tons of questions right now. What is a dental dam? How do you use one? Why do they matter? Let’s get to the facts:
* A dental dam is a small, thin rubber sheet, usually made of latex or silicone, that can help prevent the spread of STDs during cunnilingus (oral-vaginal sex) and analingus (oral-anal sex).
* It’s a barrier method, so like a condom, it keeps bodily fluids that could be carrying disease from spreading from one partner to the other.
* To use a dental dam, it should be placed over the labia or anus before sexy times begin.
* You can buy dental dams at the store or online, or you can simply make your own out of ordinary cling wrap.
* Make sure your dental dam doesn’t have any holes in it! If it does, it may not be effective.
* Never reuse a dental dam. Ew!
Had you ever heard of dental dams before? Have you used a dental dam? Tell us about it in the comments!