12 GIF Reactions To Celebs Who Are Not Feminist

Credit: Dan Jackman./WENN.com

My favorite thing is when celebrities make feminism look bad. You know, those pop stars who always say really feminist things, but then when asked if they are a feminist they dismiss it as some sort of man hating cult of angry women. My favorite is Lady Gaga, “I’m not a feminist. I hail men, I love men. I celebrate American male culture, and beer, and bars and muscle cars.” Yeah, feminists hate men that’s why we continue to date, befriend and marry them.

Just this week The Daily Beast asked Taylor Swift if she is a feminist and she said, “I don’t really think about things as guys versus girls. I never have. I was raised by parents who brought me up to think if you work as hard as guys, you can go far in life.” Because feminism means guys versus girls? (Um, it doesn’t.) Because feminism doesn’t believe that women who work as hard as men deserve the same rewards? (It does. Yet women are still not paid equally.)

Fine, don’t be a feminist. At the very least you can understand what it actually is and not poop on the people who are. My outrage can only be described in GIF form.

So you just said, “I’m not a feminist. I believe [insert definition of feminism, goal of feminism, feminist idea].” Mhmm. Yah, OK.

I don’t understand. I don’t understand. You are a smart, strong, successful woman, but you are not a feminist?

Dude, you’re bumming me out.

You’re bumming me out, dude.

Oh, I get it. You think feminism is militant, man hating, and means women want “special treatment.”

Like when some guys say, “Women have it so easy they get free drinks at clubs! Guys always pay for dinner. You can have sex any time you want” And I am like:

Yeah, feeling unsafe whenever I am alone, getting paid 77% of what men make, having politicians tell me what to do with my body, having magazines tell me I am ugly no matter what, living in fear of rape, date rape, sexual assault, and being told I am a bitch, man hater or annoying when I bring up these points is so fun. I am just having so much fun!

It is icing on the cake when celebs completely shut feminism down. It’s almost as if they think that because they are so successful, all women can be as successful as they are without ever having to run into the obstacles of sexism.

Like female pop stars aren’t pressured to be thin and overtly sexual. Like it wasn’t big news that Marissa Mayer was named CEO of Yahoo because she is a woman and there are basically NO women CEOs. Like every other President we’ve had has been a woman, right?! I’m sorry are we living in the same dimension?

I really think that people just don’t understand what feminism is. It’s not wanting special treatment, it’s wanting fair treatment. It would be nice if we stopped criticizing women about how they look so that we can provide them with more helpful criticisms about how they lead, what they stand for, and the things they do. I don’t want people to be nice or reward me just for being a girl, but I don’t want them to be vain or unnecessarily harsh either. I want to be judged by the same standards as men.

If celebrities and powerful women supported feminism more than it would make regular girls feel more comfortable in acknowledging the ways they are mistreated because of their gender.

When we do have equality it won’t just be women who feel awesome. Men and women will be like:

How do you define feminism? Let us know in the comments!

And don’t forget to Follow Us On Twitter

Next check out What Is Feminism?

Posted in: Celebs & Hot News
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. avatar ellegen1@gmail.com says:

Although I fully agree with the feminist principles the author is saying, I think she’s a bit mistaken in trying to pinpoint these celebs. I’m a feminist, but I remember when I was thinking about and questioning is this a label I really want to take on? Identifying as feminist is a process and a choice that everyone should be allowed to go through. Although the world needs to come to the ultimate conclusion that men and women are equal, I don’t think anyone should be forced into feminism. It’s a thoughtful decision and a personal process, but I stood for women’s rights, before I identified that way.

2. avatar Joe says:

I never thought of myself as a feminist, because I never thought much about women’s rights until the presidential elections began. Now I can say yes I am. I believe that the article I just read was completely amazing. Never have I said to anyone I hate men, or I’m a woman, I am fragile, treat me like a princess. It infuriates me when women are downgraded as weak, but it also infuriates me when feminists are insulted for wanting some EQUALITY! It’s not as if we are opposed to splitting the check for a date or even paying in full some times.

Even at my young age of 13 I am surrounded by sexist acts. “You can’t hit a girl.” News flash you shouldn’t be hitting anyone. Not passing the ball to the girls during gym class, Not all girls are afraid to sweat boys, give us a chance.
    I”m not going to ask for someone to hold the door open for me, I often hold the door open for other’s. You don’t have to pull my chair out for me or pay for the whole date, I am completely up to splitting the cost or even paying for the whole date every once in a while.

Those aren’t the things men should be whining about when they are the ones who are usually treating us that way. Those aren’t the things women think about every day, what we do care about is much more important. Our health, Our bodies, Our rights. Viewing feminists as men hating monsters who demand special treatment is the exact opiset of what celebrities should be doing.

3. avatar Cindy says:

Anyone who knows anything of history knows that great social changes are impossible without feminine upheaval.
    Karl Marx

4. avatar Aastha Tyagi says:

I love this post. No, as some readers have said, it is NOT about potraying those celebrities in a bad light who don’t agree with feminism. It IS about those celebrities who try to define feminism in simplistic terms without understanding the history. Someone wrote that they don’t live with the fear of rape etc. Well, love, it is because of feminists of the past that you have been able to read, write and have the means to articulate yourself. Haven’t you been watching the news? Todd Akin? Seriously. Try to understand the article properly.
    PS: Feminism is about wanting female equality. Hence, will be called FEMINISM. Also, there is not a dearth of women in this world who can carry on the message of feminism.
    ‘Bitches get stuff done!’ (Tina Fey)

5. avatar Shalyn says:

I don’t live in fear of being raped or sexually assaulted. I have never been treated less or degraded for being a woman. Until that happens I won’t pronounce myself as a feminist. Even if someone does do something to me for being a woman I won’t blame all of society, I’m going to blame that one person. Not everyone is out to get woman and woman aren’t all that innocent either. If everyone just worried about themselves than it would be a much simpler world.

6. avatar k says:

I am a feminist and a lot has to do with my going to an all girls’ school, I was never told a guy was better than me and I believe I can do whatever I want and succeed at it even if it’s a male-dominated field. I’m really feminine and strong with it

7. avatar Rose says:

Based on some of your past articles…(the olympic boy, ryan lochte) you’re not really doing the best at proving them wrong…..you made a whole article saying a guy should be kicked out of THE OLYMPICS for making a dumb very male comment…..and you guys turned on Ryan Lochte just for saying something from the point of view of being hurt…also you keep forcing feminism down our throats so therefore some of these articles you guys post are proving THEM right. You constantly bash males, got very upset at some very funny memes, and well talk about sex A LOT. I would really look back over somethings before calling out others for not supporting YOUR VIEWS.

• avatar turtleshelll says:

While I agree that Gurl has some very strong political views, it seems silly to accuse them of shoving it down their readers throats. We do, after all go to Gurl.com and click on their articles, and choose to read them.

• avatar Emerald Pellot says:

We never said he should be kicked out the Olympics, we said that we were no longer rooting for him because he said “All women are evil.” Being critical of one man’s words, does not equate to hating all men. The same way you being critical of our writing does not mean you hate all women and much like us being critical of the women named in the article does not mean that we hate them or all women.

Talking about sex is a big part of feminism, women have not been allowed to take hold of their sexuality without criticism for thousands of years (slut shaming). Furthermore the point of the article is that people seem to have a lot of opinions about feminism without knowing what it actually is. These women actually have the same views as us, they just don’t call themselves feminist because they don’t know what that actually means.

• avatar Rose says:

Maybe “shoving down our throats” is the wrong term…but it seems like every other time I go on here looking for advice and cool articles there is at least ONE ranting about something a guy has said….When I said Olypmic guy I mean the other one about the guy who said “They should wrestle in jello for the spot” or something like that…it a really male thing to say…. Sometimes I think somethings you should be able to excuse and not call sexist…the same way me calling my best friend a Saint isn’t bullying…because the more we label things as racism, sexism, stereotyping, bullying the less we can say. I had this discussion with my close friend after an assembly about suicde and another about bullying. Anything and everything can be bad if you say it a certain way.

I am in no way saying any of those things is okay, but sometimes it seems like the ranting part REALLY out way the explanations…In fact until I was watching an old episode of The PowerPuff Girls about feminism I was so confused as to what it was….in the episode they talked about Susan B Anthony and how she fought for female EQUALITY not special treatment which what Im assuming you guys at Gurl are trying to explain.

8. avatar Cindy says:

That goes to Bobbie above..It is called FEMINism because by the time feminism was created as a whole theory women were treated very badly. For instance after the French Revolution, namely when feminism started to become popular among women, it was the time when simple men realized the power they had to demand their rights. At that time strong women,ironically called suffragettes(female voters), demanded their rights too(eg the right to vote and make their own money).The goal of feminism wasn’t women to act like men, but instead women to share the same rights and responsibilities as men.These powerful women were often made fun of,punished and inprisoned.Today, although women have the right to work and vote, their value is being undermined and their right to speak their mind is often being literally trespassed.And that’s why feminism exists till nowadays.
    P.S Dude what are you even doing here..You’ve visited a site thats called “gurl” and you try to bad talk about feminism..Of course you have the right to speak your mind,but..That just sounds wrong in sooo many ways.

• avatar Bobbie says:

Dear, Cindy,

I find your take on the beginnings of feminism very interesting, thank you for posting it! (I’ve never heard that take before.)

Also, I’m just a *girl* who believes feminism would do more good if it had a different name.

Loved your post even if we disagree,
      Bobbie

9. avatar Ohh Lala says:

I can’t even put into words how I feel about this post. I think I would agree more if there was less sarcasm or bitterness or negativeness written in this post. Its like you guys are trying to force feminism down our throats by slashing celebrities who don’t believe. I respect feminism and everything; but talking negatively about those whose disagree I dont like that. So on that I disagree with this article. Not even going to get started on the content of feminism my own views would make it impartial.

10. avatar jkjkjk says:

To me Feminism isn’t just about the way a girl is treated, but the way a girl and a guy treat each other. So maybe I go on a date and the guy pays the bill, that’s cool with me, but maybe on the next day I pay for him, and he doesn’t give a sh** that I’m a girl doing something for him, and I don’t if he does something for me.
    I’m not a guy and sometimes there will be stuff someones better at than me, maybe it’s a guy or maybe it’s a girl, but that’s life. I believe that feminism isn’t about being above males, but being able to accept and push each other to be better people not just better men and women.

11. avatar Bobbie says:

I don’t get how Feminism can stand for equality when it’s called “FEMIN”ism, why would any guy or anyone who identifies as non binary want to stand for something that takes it name from one gender? It seems unfair to them. Look at Civil Rights Movement: most people think of how it was pushed forward by, and benefited blacks, but it also benefited people like myself who are disabled.

• avatar Emerald Pellot says:

Because the root of gender inequality stems from the notion that women are inferior. This premise criticizes both genders for doing things that are associated with women. It hurts men for being like women. For example men “can’t” do things like wear a skirt, cry, wear bright colors or become nurse without ridicule. It prevents men from getting paid leave when they have a baby because men aren’t child bearers they’re breadwinners. The idea that women and women things are bad creates equality across the board because it is the very thing that creates binaries.

It’s called “feminism” for the very reason of trying to take the negative connotation away from femininity. Every person has qualities that we would be stereotypically associated with femininity or masculinity, but masculine qualities are the only ones considered positive.

• avatar Bobbie says:

Thank you for your insightful reply! It is very easy to forget feminism has been around since Adam & Eve. (and Lilith) I never in my life have considered being a female a bad thing, just a different strength some people, may I call them dicks, aren’t smart enough to see.

I recently started playing bass guitar and when some guys at a music store were totally rude to me I thought they were being sexist, but upon reading online reviews of the store I discovered they were that rude to everyone. I’ve honestly gotten more crap from people (all males) who play for playing southpaw.

I could easily bring up my sex into it, but I don’t and it isn’t an issue, I think we need to teach people to be apologetically themselves more then fighting masculinity.

ps. I think a guy with a ponytail who wears kilts and pink is the hottest thing ever.