Why I Can’t Watch Honey Boo Boo

Honey Boo Boo Child and June Shannon on Jimmy Kimmel

The look of “OH HELL NO.” | Source: YouTube

When I was a kid, I thought being famous (for just about anything) would be the coolest thing in the world. I was sure that I would be “discovered” and wow the world with my top-notch tap dance routines and all of the fake toothpaste commercials I’d made up in front of my bathroom mirror. I mean. Hey. I was made for stardom.

My mom wasn’t totally bonkers like the moms on Toddlers and Tiaras, but let’s just say she didn’t exactly discourage my dreams of fame. We lived about a 40 minute drive from Hollywood, and there were many occasions where my mom would read about an open casting call or see that a TV show we liked needed child extras for some episode, pop my sister and I in the car, and sign us up. I wasn’t shy, and for the most part, I liked it, but I do remember my mom encouraging me to do things that I didn’t want to do, even when I’d tell her I didn’t want to do them. Like dancing on a stage at Disneyland with Donald and Daisy or talking to news crews on opening day of the big new movie theater in town. Even at seven or eight years old, I kind of knew she was making me do these things because they were the kinds of things she had wished she had gotten to do when she was a kid.

Which brings me to Honey Boo Boo Child. I’ve never watched her show, because the thought of a parent agreeing to let a TV network pimp their kid out as reality TV fodder gives me the creeps–but it wasn’t until I saw Honey Boo Boo and her mom on Jimmy Kimmel earlier this week that I saw just how bad it was. There, squirming on the couch, obviously up way past her bedtime and very unhappy about it, was Honey Boo Boo in all of her seven-year-old glory.

Here’s a clip:

At times, I’m sure she’s told her mom that she loves the attention, that she loves having her own show, but seeing her on late night TV, pretty much stating that she was d-o-n-e, but not being allowed to leave? That was painful. Little kids don’t know what’s good for them and what’s not. If it was up to them, they’d eat ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (sounds good, I know) and die of diabetes or a heart attack before they were 14.

Being a reality TV star at seven-years-old is roughly the same thing as living on ice cream. Would I have done it if given the option? Of course. I was a total attention whore and would have jumped at the chance. Would it have been good for me? No. Would I grow up with a totally warped sense of what I’m entitled to and how the world should work? Yes. Would I maybe even regret some of the things I said (or was coerced to say, like how Honey Boo Boo was coerced into choosing a Presidential candidate to back when she likely knows zip about politics?!)? Yes!

The whole Honey Boo Boo phenomenon boils down to child exploitation. Her parents saw an opportunity to make a ton of money off of her, and they went for it without really thinking about their daughter’s welfare. I know June Shannon has said she’s putting the money they’re making into trust funds for each of the kids to have when they’re older, which is smarter than just blowing it all on sports cars or something dumb . . . but it doesn’t make it okay.

Honestly, I’m glad I never became famous. Because being Honey Boo Boo doesn’t seem that awesome to me at all.

What do you think? Do you watch Here Comes Honey Boo Boo? Do you think her family is exploiting her? Tell me in the comments!

What TV Shows Do YOU Love?

Catch Us On The Tweet Side

Posted in: Celebs & Hot News
Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. avatarChar gates says:

I think it is horrible that anyone would even think of exploiting the family and this little girl it’s sickness me that for some reason it’s okay to be beyond HICK! What is wrong with you people? What other garbage are you people going to come up with?

2. avatartia says:

Love or not the child is being exploited for money by the Mother, no kid should have to be followed and filmed every moment of her life for your entertainment, she’s a kid and does not know any better, a time when she is developing character, this is not helping at all, it’s not judging, it’s a fact, and she recently said she hate it but her Mom told her “no you don’t” and she said, yes she does, clearly June Shannon does not care about her daughter or she would listen to what the child is saying about her likes or dislikes, anyone who find exploitation of child entertaining needs their head examined, it’s a train wreck and that is what most people are watching!

3. avataryssubramanyam says:

lovely

4. avatarJulia says:

Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is an example of a rambunctions little kid, but honestly how many of us weren’t? Honey Boo Boo, after watching her show, genuinely loves pagaents and her mother never forces her into them. She evn told her that if this is not what she 100% wanted to so she would put her out so fast. Honey Boo Boo, or Alana which is her real name uses pagaents as a way to get out some of her energy, and I feel that is just fine. As for the family, they are down to earth, and so genuienly love each other. Alana loves pagaents, and her family accepts and supports that. Now, if you loved, say, cross country, wouldn’t you want your family to support and love that? This is all this show is, a loving family supporting Alana. Don’t be so quick to judge them without watching the show. They are not just like other reality stars, and they are like any other family. They go to the grocery store, while using coupons, wear jeans, and are like any of us. Their life is the same as ours, but is a little different because of Alana’s love of pagaents. Think about it; What would life be like if we were all the same? Don’t judge without knowing the facts first, ESPECIALLy without even watching the show.

5. avatarbfcuwebfcuw bc says:

So they might be kind of “trashy” but they have interesting lives, and it’s a pretty entertaining show.

6. avatarcheryl degraff says:

Hellllllooooooo……….where have you been?
    People like the Kardashians, Paris Hilton,Snooki………….I could go on, have been getting famous for absolutely no reason at all. This is the sad truth about what the American people are apparently hungry for. The media is only giving the people what they want. How many teens/ young adults do you know who gobble up shows like Teen Mon, 16 and Pregnant,and that supersized, over the top birthday show for the overly indulged, bratty,imperious teenyboppers. Very sad , indeed.

7. avatarRachel says:

I’ve seen the show before, and it seems like TLC is simply making fun of them. They might be different, but they are portrayed as stupid rednecks. It’s like they want you to not like them and just mock them.