What Makes Someone Use The Word “Slut”?

What is a sut

Does this REALLY make someone a slut?! | Source: ShutterStock

Check out what’s new on our boards! Right now, girls are talking about what makes someone use the word “slut”:

JaneSmith said:

What makes someone use the label “slut” or “slag”? It’s a question I have been wondering about for a while now. What makes someone in another’s eyes a slut? Is it cheating, the amount of sexual partners they’ve had, the age of sexual contact, a way of dressing or acting ?

I find myself asking this question because I am a girl of 16 (still a virgin) and I have been in a relationship for three years now. Would having sex now get me the label slut? Because I am still not clear on what the definition of this label is.

Got something to add to this convo? Then go for it, girl. Tell us what you think in the boards: what makes people call someone else a slut?

Don’t call me a slut. Don’t call her one either.

Posted in: Boards, Discuss
Tags: , , ,

1. avatarCristaliz says:

I call my boyfriend a slut.. is that bad?? Lol we’ve been together for over 4 yrs now.. and we call eachother dirty names when we are joking around.. idk why.. but ppl may find that strange!! We love eachother so much, and we have so much trust that we play around like that! =) I <3 it

2. avatarMusegirl231 says:

In all honesty, i really dont care if a girl sleeps with a bunch of SINGLE guys, I mean they are single, they are on the market, if you guys are both single and you want to fool around, go ahead, do it but be safe. I HATE the girls who deliberately try to sleep with guys in relationships and try to persuade & seduce guys who are in relationships to have sex with them, not only are they SLUTS, because come on, if you were in a relationship with someone you loved and a girl came up to your guy when you were around or even when your not around and tried flirting with him and tried hooking up with him, you’d be pretty pissed right? And at that point, that’s just wrong. Say your opinions, but I hope someone would agree with me in this situation.

• avatarMick says:

Museegirl231 I agree with you in so many ways i have been in a relationship for 15 years now just to find out my wife has slept with someone else and had an affair my heart feels like it has been ripped out we have two kids and it is me that looks after them. My wife says she wants us all back but the damage that it has done is too much i think that is a SLUT. I dont belive that a girl who is single and who ever or how many people they sleep with should be labeled as a slut nor what they wear.

3. avatargina says:

no i really don’t consider a girl slut because she wanna have sex with her 3-year-boyfriend! in my opinion a slut is someone who goes all the way with a guy she barely knows or with many guys at the same time..

4. avatarkisstiph says:

I am against slut ahaming as well, if your a slut so what, be safe and have fun!

5. avataralinabee316 says:

I think the term “slut” is loosely defined and some people use that word to say it under hoe, tramp, tease, flirt, whore…I just think its someone who’s promiscuous but whatever. If that person likes sex, let them live their own life. Who are we to judge?

6. avatarKelly says:

sum1 who’s promiscuous

7. avatarSarah says:

Urban dictionary:

A derogatory term.

Refers to a sexually promiscuous person, usually female.

One who engages in sexual activity with a large number of persons, occasionally simultaneously.

Also refers to one who engages in sexual activity outside of a long-term relationship within the duration of said relationship.

These sexual activities include but are not limited to: passionate kissing, manual stimulation of genitalia and/or breasts in the case of a female; oral stimulation of these parts; sexual intercourse.

In some cases, used to refer to a woman who is wearing “skimpy” or tasteless clothing.

Less commonly, used as a derogatory term by one female for another during periods of conflict.

Synonyms: whore, tramp. Derivations: slutty (adj.), sluttier/sluttiest (superlatives). Related Adjectives: easy; immoral; loose; cheap.
    “That slut has slept with every man in this room!”

“That girl is such a slut–I can’t believe that she cheated on her boyfriend with his best friend!”

“Look at that slut in her mini-skirt! She is not wearing any underwear!”

“I don’t want to talk to her! I hate that slut!”

it’s basically someone who has sex with everyone and anyone, people also say it when someone is wearing inappropriate clothing because they look like a prostitute.

8. avatarAllison says:

Calling any girl a slut is completely wrong! It is their life and they can sleep with whomever they want and as many people as they want. As long as the girl is being safe there is nothing wong with living life the way she wants. The word slut shouldn’t even be in anyone vocabulary. With that being said JanSmith, if you want to take the next step with your guy and you believe you’re ready then you should go for it. Make sure you are safe and make sure you are doing it for yourself and nobody else.

9. avatarmystery girl says:

hey, a “slut” is from what i understand… someone who gives there body to guys/girls whomever around all the time, so someone who likes having sex but not a partner, who has a reputation for doing so as well.

10. avatarJen says:

no you wouldn’t you were in a relationship for three years now :) a “slut” is a girl who is single but get’s around

11. avatarcaniloveu says:

i honestly dont know but that pic is hot :)

12. avatarAshley says:

I really against slut shaming. A slut is a person who has many sex partners. So if you have sex with over five guys, that would probably make you a slut. But who says being a slut is a bad thing? Some people think sex should be between two people who love each other. Some people have sex to have pleasure. Having sex with different people isn’t a bad thing, as long as you are using protection. I don’t get what’s the problem. Its your life. People call me a slut because I wear shorter clothes in the summer. But you can’t be a slut by the way you dress. Its by your actions.Also, if you cheat I don’t really think your a slut, but just a bad person. But being a slut isn’t a bad thing. I’m a virgin, by the way. I’m waiting until I’m at least 18 and done with high school! Just live your life the way you want to live it and don’t let anyone get you down!:)

13. avatarAllison says:

I really hate it when you guys at Gurl do this. I do think this is a very interesting subject, but I can just check it out on the boards. It’s completely annoying and unnecessary to highlight the fact that it’s on the boards. Is it really such a slow day at Gurl that you need to do something like this?