First things first: Clothes!
The key to packing for a short vacation is to pack versatile items that you can mix and match depending on where the weekend takes you. If you already have a set itinerary, great–but remember that weather can be unpredictable and you may change your mind about what you want to do. Depending on the climate of where you’re going, here are a few key guidelines on how to pack lightly but fashionably:
- Pack around your best color. Look your prettiest in purple? Knock ‘em dead in red? Play that up and pack things in and to coordinate with that shade. It’ll make mixing, matching, and packing light a lot easier.
- A simple jersey knit dress. You can dress these up for a night out or down for a day of exploring depending on what accessories you sport with them–and accessories are usually smaller and easier to pack than a whole outfit.
- A cute cardigan for cool museums or nighttime. These can be worn with your dress or with jeans or shorts.
- A jacket. A good tip? Wear it on the plane, even if you’re not cold at the time. Cabin air can be chilly eventually, and if nothing else, it will save space in your bag.
- Dark colored jeans. Darker jeans are easier to dress up for night but work just as well during the day.
- Cute flats. They’re more polished than sneakers, but are easy enough on your feet to let you explore and wander without wanting to hurl your footwear into the street.
- One pair of heels for when you want to get fancy.
- Underwear and socks! You want a set (bra, undies, socks) for each day you’ll be away plus two extra in case of travel difficulties (cancelled flights, for example) or accidents (you may laugh really hard or get your period early).
- If you don’t sleep in your skivvies, pack shorts and comfy tees to wear to bed.
- A dressy top that can go from day to night.
- One or two basic tees or tanks that you can layer.
- Leggings are comfy for plane rides and not as restricting as jeans can sometimes be on long flights.
- Accessories. A bold necklace, cute glasses, a fun scarf, or statement earrings can make the pieces you wore yesterday look totes different today!