Confession: Sometimes I Hate My Sister

Sisters Fighting

This could be us when we fight. | Source: ShutterStock

When I was younger, all I wanted was a baby sister. She would be like a little doll, someone I could dress up and boss around as much as I wanted. My wish came true when I was seven-years-old and Olivia was born… but things didn’t go exactly as planned. While I had spent my baby years prancing around in frilly dresses, perfect shoes and dainty hats, Olivia spent hers running around – usually in stained t-shirts and cut-off shorts.

As a little girl, Olivia idolized our brother and wanted to be just like him. Up until she was 15-years-old, she played sports, hated makeup, had no interest in brushing her hair ever and threw a temper tantrum every time my mom tried to get her in a dress. Basically, she was the opposite of me. At first, I was jealous of how much she tried to be like my brother – why didn’t she want to be like me?! But after hearing horror stories from my friends about their own baby sisters (stolen clothes and makeup, following them around, etc.), I was fine with it. My sister and I got along really well and she didn’t take my stuff. It was perfect.

Until things changed.

Once she entered high school, Olivia’s entire tomboy attitude disappeared. She stopped being interested in bugs, quit her soccer team and started favoring cute tops over old tees. She started experimenting with makeup and hogged the bathroom for hours, straightening her hair. In the beginning, I was thrilled to finally have more in common with her… and then she started taking my stuff.

During happier times – before she started stealing my stuff.

Let me explain something before I continue: my sister is one of the messiest and most irresponsible people I know. She regularly stains, loses or rips her clothes. She has lost or broken at least six cameras in her lifetime. She breaks her cell phone about once a month. She loves wearing cute things and having cool stuff, but that doesn’t mean she cares about the condition these things are in.

Not exactly the kind of person you want borrowing your stuff, right? Right. And so, I was not happy when she started going through my room and taking what she wanted. Although it started out innocently enough with her borrowing a shirt every once in a while, our first huge fight was when she wore my brand new, $120 Juicy Couture sweatshirt without asking. When she sauntered into the house wearing it (with a STAIN on it), I flipped. As I yelled at her, she rolled her eyes and lazily gave it back to me, saying it was “no big deal.”

And so started the first of many, many fights. I am not even kidding when I tell you that my sister treats my room as her own personal store. Since we’re the same size, she regularly borrows my clothes – my favorite items, clothes that still have tags on them and super expensive pieces I don’t want anyone touching. She steals my shoes almost every day, uses my handbags as her own and puts my jewelry on whenever she feels like it. When she’s trying things on, she leaves the pieces she’s not interested in crumpled up in balls on my floor.

She borrows my expensive camera without asking and doesn’t even take the case along with it. She’s taken my MacBook more times than I can count, despite the fact that she has her own Dell laptop sitting in her room. Recently, she started using and abusing my beloved makeup collection – and letting her friends borrow my $50 eyeshadow palettes. Oh, and the day she started driving was the day my car started disappearing. She drives me freakin’ crazy.

Get out of my closet!!! | Source: ShutterStock

The worst part is, Olivia doesn’t even ask if she can take anything – I usually find out she’s wearing my stuff by her pictures on Facebook or when something mysteriously goes missing. Listen, it’s not like I don’t like to share. If she asked me if she could wear something, I’d most likely gladly hand it over. But I can’t tell you how many days I’ve gone to grab a specific shirt or pair of jeans, only to find out she’s already wearing them or has left them at her friends house.

But the truth is, I don’t really hate my little sister at all. Even though we spend hours fighting over her stealing my stuff, that’s the only thing we fight about. We watch Pretty Little Liars together every week and she’s my designated shopping buddy. She’s the person I hang out with late at night when neither of us can sleep and she always goes to get ice cream with me even when she’s not hungry. She’s going away to college at the end of the summer, and I am going to cry like a baby the day she leaves.

But also? I’m going to do a very thorough search through her suitcases. As much as I may love my sister, she isn’t taking any of my stuff to school with her. I’m pretty sure I speak for every big sister when I say little sisters: get out of our closets.

Do you have a little sister? Does she take your stuff? Or are you the little sister who takes your older sister’s things? Tell me in the comments!

Is your sister a bitch? Take the quiz to find out!

Posted in: Confessions
Tags: , ,

1. avatar Bella says:

So I let my little sis borrow stuff but the problem is she screws everything up I mean wat the hell she still ows me like $230

2. avatar Heather says:

My little sister is 19 and I’m 22, we have both lived together our whole lives and even have had an apt together. Though I love her more than words can describe, she is the most careless person ever and is CONSTANTLY stealing everything of mine, I CANNOT STAND IT. She doesn’t just stop at clothes either, for as long as I can remember she has always grandfathered her way in with my friends too and it bothers me so much that I work so hard to make these friendships and she just automatically gets to have them as friends too. I’ve tried not talking to her for months, didn’t work, I’ve tried crying to her about how much it bothers me that she just doesn’t respect me or what is MINE. The bottom line is she means the world to me and it tears me apart that she doesn’t appreciate me. I’m just glad to know I’m not alone in this feelinh bevause it seems like anyone I talk to immediately doesn’t seem to get why it bothers me so much.

3. avatar Ashlyn says:

I’m 18, my sister is 17…she CONSTANTLY takes my things! She comes into my room whenever she wants and it drives me CRAZY. For example, if my door is locked or closed because I’m changing or want privacy, she won’t knock, she will walk right in and go straight for my closet… When I go on trips and stuff, I’ll lock my door, because that’s all I really can do, and I’ll ask my parents to keep an eye on her, but they can’t even stop her! When I notice that something is missing and there always is, I have to ask her to give it back a hundred times before she finally does, or i steal it back from her and it’s usually broken or used up or she’s lost it…when she does ask for something, I let her borrow it, but she keeps it for weeks even after I asked for it back…idk what to do anymore

4. avatar Melissa says:

My sister is four years older than me. We are exactly the same size and share almost all of our clothes. She is leaving for college next month and now we are in a huge argument about whose gets to keep what clothes because we both wear everything.

5. avatar Lynn says:

I hate my second sister. She is one year older than me. She is such a bitchhhhh!!!!
    She always wants her way. For example, if my mom happens to be using the washing machine to wash clothes when she wants to wash hers. She will get angry and start banging things in the house. She will also start screaming everyone in the house is always using the washing machine and she never has a chance to use. okay so we compromise with her even if it is not true. We don’t wash our clothes or only at night after she has done her laundry during weekend. It is her own fault that she does not want to wash during weekdays but she doesn’t think this way. This time I am so pissed. I have been too busy with my work recently and neglect to pay my share of the electricity bill until I receive a final warning threatening to cut off if I don’t pay within 2 days. So I pay half which is about $300. But the bitch only pays about $80. She complains to my oldest sis who is working overseas that she doesn’t wants to pay as she has been paying alone for years. Bullshit. The house we are currently staying in – she’s the one who wants to buy and bully me into sharing with her to buy. At that time she is working overseas so she doesn’t want to pay for the electricity and water supply. okay so i pay alone for 1 to 2 years until i got heavily in debt with credit cards. so she pays alone then she complains about it during her second year. so i have to pay my share. also when i complain why my little brother is not sharing when he is also working, she says I being selfish and wicked.
    I am so mad now. Waiting for my oldest sister to come back home from overseas and resolve this issue as obviously the bitch doesn’t want to pay. It is not fair to me as I do not earn so much plus she is not even giving my parents money. I wonder if there is any way I can cut off the water and electricity in her bedroom if she continues not to pay her share. Please help!!!

6. avatar Megan says:

Urgh tell me about it! My younger sister was born 2 years after me. We currently share a room and she is always taking my makeup, clothes etc. When we have an argument she normally will hide something of mine, so annoying!

7. avatar Manisha says:

My sister and I always argue whether it’s clothes or for something else. She’s 17 years old and I’m 21. Whenever she comes home from school she always tells me how her day went then she keeps going on and on but I start telling her about him, she behaves as if she’s not interested. It’s like everything revolves around her. We used to get along before but now it’s like she only talks to me to borrow my stuff or to go shopping with her. She made it clear that she loves her friends more than me and it really hurts my feelings. Can you believe it that she never hugged me since five years ago. We had a huge fight last December since we haven’t talked at all. It was her birthday yesterday so I wished her and she muttered ‘Thanks’. After that I gave up and thought fuck that I’m not buying any gifts for her. I think it’s time I stop loving her and behave like a stranger. She hates me so I’ll start hating her now!!!