What Is Up With Yeast Infections? Yuck!

what is a yeast infection

Yeast infections MAJORLY suck. |

So, we’ve all seen the ads for Monistat and other “lady medications,” but what exactly are they for? Well, if you don’t knowyet, consider yourself lucky.

Monistat and other treatments like it are for yeast infections, which are irritations in your vagina and the tissues around the opening to your vagina–the vulva.

I know, it’s really ick to think of an infection getting literally up in your business, but since roughly three out of four women will get at least one yeast infection in her lifetime (most ladies get two or more . . . blah!) it’s probs good to know what’s going on and how to deal.

So, without further delay, here are some important facts about yeast infections:

* If you notice thick cottage cheese-like discharge and feel major itchiness up in your vagina and around your vulva, you’ve probably got a yeast infection.

* Yeast infections can be transmitted via oral sex, but you don’t have to have sex (or have ever had sex!) to get one.

* Taking antibiotics and douching can both cause yeast infections, since they both mess with the natural balance of bacteria up in Lady Land.

* If you’re having yeast infection symptoms, call your doctor right away. You can probably treat it with an over-the-counter treatment, but you want to make sure you know what’s really going on before you start self-medicating!

For more on yeast infections, click here.

Have you ever had a yeast infection? Did you know what a yeast infection was? Tell us all about it in the comments!

Ever Had A UTI? Know What It Is?!

Posted in: Health Facts
Tags: , , ,

1. avatarMenaji says:

I had one since Late Feb and i nvr went to a doctor but i got this remedy from a fren .. Warm salt water wash it daily and within a week i feel better … I think its completely gone now :D

2. avatarnori says:

Advices.to.be.in.safe.side
    1.clean.your.Vagina.while.getting.wet.and.before.you.go.to.sleep.
    2.dont.wear.underwear.underneath.while.sleeping.for.drying.Vagina

3. avatarAboo says:

What type of soap should I use?

4. avatarAboo says:

Same here I get them all the time I wonder what I’m doing wrong now….. Over counter works for the 7 day doses than after that it seems like I get the infection again….. I keep my self clean with soap and water I tired home remedies and they kinda work not really but dang what is there an easier way?

• avatarDianna says:

You need to see your doctor about that then. They have a pill medication you can take for it. Its a perscription. My sister had a similar problem and the only the doctor was able to help.

5. avatarGemz says:

I had about 5 yeast infections in the past year (thrush to be percise) but i found out what caused it my strawberry soap. At first i thought i wasnt washing enough down there, it turned out my soap was changing the ph and causing the infection

6. avatarCatFeist says:

I can totally relate to Sarah.. Except my discharge doesn’t smell. I can’t seem to get rid of the yeast infection (ever since Dec 2011). I’ve been to two different gynos: “You’re fine.” Um, no I’m not.. Itchy lips is not normal.. I feel hopeless. My vagina never used to be so problematic and I miss it.

7. avatarsydneyohhh says:

If you’re taking antibiotics, eat yogurt to prevent a yeast infection! And change out of your wet bathing suit immediately after going swimming!

8. avatarAmy Kaufman says:

Keeping your vagina from getting fresh air can be a problem too. Consider sleeping without undies, or if you wear tights, don’t wear underwear underneath.

9. avatarSarah says:

I’ve had one since mid-December… I’ve taken so many medications, and so many home remedies, and nothing has worked. It terrible to gag every time you go to the bathroom because it smells so horrible… I feel like I smell it all the time! I wonder if anyone else smells it too, and I wonder if they ever judge me….

• avatarJoi says:

Are you sure you don’t have bacterial vaginosis? Usually a strong smell is more associated with BV rather than yeast infections..