Now future generations of confused students (and a few slackers) will get a Gatsby primer into the scandalous lives of New York City’s elite. (Sounds familiar? Oh, yeah, it is.)
Gatsby is actually one of my favorite books and just like when Harry Potter, Twilight, and the Hunger Games came out, I am half excited to see it turned into the movie, half pretend-mad about how they are going to “ruin” it. Too bad we’ll have to wait until Christmas to see if the movie lives up to the epic book.
What I am excited about:
* Even though I’ve only just seen The Great Gatsby Trailer and not the actual movie, it’s obviously visually stunning and looks like a party. The crazy, debauchery sometimes doesn’t come across in the book! Remember when Romeo and Juliet came out in theaters and we finally knew what Shakespeare was going on and on about? You really have to read between the lines to pick up on all the drama, sex, and yes, drugs. They don’t call it the roaring ’20s for nothing, folks!
* The soundtrack. I am a sucker for the “old meets new” cliche. Jay-Z and Kanye sending off a scandalous story about 1920s’ drama. Yes, please. Again, it makes the movie feel like a party (in a way the book was unable to with just words) and totally makes it more relatable.
* The fashion and the drama. I am a huge fan of Mad Men and Downton Abbey. Anything where I can see a bunch of melodramatic people in vintage clothing gossip about each other is awesome.
What I am pretend-mad about:
* 3D! Why does this have to be in 3D? Do I need bow ties and Leo DiCaprio’s forehead popping out at me?
* The casting. Hmmm? Tobey, Leo, Carey … hmmm. We’ll just have to see.
* Race and Sex. The 1920s were a time where racism and sexism were at its peak and the feminist movements were just beginning. The book itself doesn’t really handle these things very well, will the movie? Is this something that can be ignored just for the story? Especially when The Great Gatsby Trailer is set to hip hop. We’ll just have to see.
Check it out! Oh, it’s so good!
What do you think of The Great Gatsby trailer? Have you read the book? Let us know in the comments!