Padded Bra

Are dudes into the extra stuffing? | Source: Tribune

Dear Ethan,

I’ll be honest – I have small boobs. I hate it! I wear padded bras all the time because I want them to look bigger. But I want to know: how do guys really feel about padded bras? Is it a turnoff?

First of all, there’s no reason to hate your small boobs! Check out my previous post on what guys really think about breast size.

In addition to the fact that male physical preferences are completely subjective, you need to own those perky pals of yours because excessively padded bras can be an issue for guys. Half a cup size is generally no biggie if you’re looking for a little boost — lots of guys honestly can’t tell the difference between a large A and a small B. But it’s usually pretty obvious when a lady undresses and her imposter Cs are actually As. Imagine kissing a guy whose sexy moustache were to fall off when your mouths meet – it’d be pretty shocking, if not disappointing. However, more than anything, padded bras are frustrating not because a modest chest is so unattractive, but because deception is.

Keira Knightley

Keira Knightley is gorgeous without the extra padding | Source: Bloggr.com

Let’s be honest here: if the relationship develops, and you’re anything like most couples out there, he’s eventually going to uncover what you’re truly working with. You shouldn’t pretend to be athletic to impress a jock, or a natural swimmer to woo a lifeguard, right? Well, while it may not directly result in injury or drowning, the same goes for lying about your boobs!

When a girl changes her appearance too drastically to look the way she thinks she “should,” the lack of confidence can be a turn off to guys. Subtle enhancements are one thing — we can appreciate a glossy lip or some leg extending high heels now and then. But remember that too much deceit not only sets the wrong precedent, it reveals a needless insecurity much less appealing than your beautifully smaller boobs can ever be.

Good luck!
Ethan

Are you confused about a guy? Do you find yourself wondering, “What is he thinking?” Tell us everything in the comments! And if you have a question for Ethan, email him at askaguy@gurl.com!

Would you wear a padded bra? Join the discussion!

Posted in: Advice Gurl, Ask A Guy, Body & Health, Body Image, Health, Sex & Relationships, Help&Advice, Hooking Up, Love Advice, Love&Sex, Relationships, Your Body, Your Life
Tags: , , ,

1. avatar EyeRoll says:

It’s irritating when I go to try on bras and there is enough padding to reach China. I mean who are people trying to kid here. Why do they make these things? They are a joke and anyone who wears them is a joke. Don’t try and pose as someone you’re not i.e. a woman with large boobs. And any parents who goes out of their way to buy their daughter an extremely padded bra must want to become a grandparent at a young age. When a bra tag says “will add 2 cups sizes!” I laugh and feel bad for the guys who are going to fall for the dumb broad who ends up wearing it. BOOM! FACE! (No, but really double padded bras are for chumps.)

2. avatar Happy Hubby says:

I’m a happily married guy. My wife is well proportioned (I think she’s a B or C or something). Nevertheless, she’s been wearing padded bras more frequently lately. I don’t think these are the kind designed to make you look bigger (she’s never worn those), but the material is thick and padded, and the bras stand up on their own.

I don’t like them because they don’t feel like breasts. When we hug, there are these firm bulges between us instead of soft, warm breasts. And if hands are involved, a thick bra in no way resembles the feel of a real breast. I much prefer the non-padded variety.

I found this article because I was curious about what the deal is with padded bras nowadays. My wife says the thick padded ones are just really common now, and it’s harder to find quality, comfortable bras without padding than it used to be.

(Just to clarify: None of this is an actual “issue” between my wife and I. It’s not a big deal or anything. We joke about her “breast armor” sometimes. Just thought I’d offer another perspective besides simply appearance!)

3. avatar R says:

Consider that usually a little bit of padding is required to cover the nipples from showing through your shirts. I prefer a slightly padded bra because I do not want my nipples being stared at!! Padded bras are so common, guys need to get used to them, unless it’s a ridiculous amount then it’s not that big of a deal…anyway all boobs look different when they’re not being held up by the bra.

4. avatar Just a gurl says:

Im 14 and dont even have a cup size AA… so wear paddes bras all the time but when it summer and wearing a bikini… well lets say my bikinis come from the child department. i hate this and id love to grow them a little. i mean, just a regular A should be do-able right? :$

5. avatar Noko says:

Wow 70% Of guys say that padded bras are A turn off but when a girl who has small boobs come along they always belittle her. And God forbid if she’s flat chested, she’ll get a lot of verbal abuse from most guys. But I do think wearing padded bras is stupid. You should be happy with who you are whether you are small chested or not. Have pride in yourself don’t let guys, or mean girls, tell you your self worth. Don’t worry not all guys are jackasses. There are still 30% Of dudes who will love a girl regardless of bra size.

• avatar Paul says:

@Noko – “ALWAYS belittle her”, “she’ll get a lot of verbal abuse from MOST guys”, “There are still 30% Of dudes who will love a girl regardless of bra size”.

You’re an idiot. If a man stuffs his pants to make it look like he’s hung then he’ll get more attention from the sluts who care more about sex than emotion. The same goes for faking large breasts and wearing clothes which present them: they’re more likely to attract guys who only care about large breasts. You can’t cover yourself in honey and then wonder why ants are following you.

‘But what about naturally large breasted women and hung men?, how do they keep the opposite sex from seeing them as sex toys?’ They dress modestly in a way that doesn’t put those features on display. Large breasted women get nice guys all the time, but not by going to night clubs in skimpy outfits.

Also. “Don’t let guys, or mean girls…”? Why not call them “mean guys” too? Oh, because all guys are assholes, right? Grow up.

You’re the female equivalent of the men you dislike.

• avatar Nicole says:

This could double as a post justifying rape

• avatar countingbodieslikesheep says:

Wear what you want as long as you feel comfortable. Don’t wear things to please other people, wear things that please you. If that is wearing padded bras, then so be it, if you don’t like padded bras don’t wear them. As for the whole “If a man stuffs his pants to make it look like he’s hung” thing, I think that there is a difference between pushing your boobs up so they look bigger and shoving a sock down your pants. At least when the bra comes off, there are still some boobs there, and not a pair of socks.
        And with the whole slut-shaming deal. No, not on, wanting to feel an look attractive is not the same as covering oneself in honey, people can want to look attractive or wear certain outfits and want their body to be respected by passers-by. None of this dressing modestly to keep creeps away, because that doesn’t work, a creep will creep. In fact, if you are saying that dressing in tight “skimpy” clothing is the only thing that will keep a man from groping or disrespecting a woman, then you are insulting men. Men are not uncontrollable wild dogs that will attack anything living after being starved for weeks, men actually have self-control. The fact that you think a woman must hide her body in order for you to not jizz your pants immediately reveals your lack of self-control, however.
        A large breasted lady can get a nice guy whilst wearing whatever outfit she wants (skimpy or otherwise) simply by listening to whether or not he talks about women as if they have to dress modestly, and if he is always commenting on “what a nice guy” he is. If he thinks women need to dress modestly in order to be respected, and that women who won’t have sex with him are sluts who only want assholes, then he is not a nice guy, and she can move on.
        Also, if you noticed, Noko did actually say that not all guys are like that, which they aren’t. You tried picking apart her reply because in one of her sentences she didn’t make sure to point out that all guys are not like that. And yes, guys who prefer large breasted women will always belittle a woman with smaller breasts, why are you so offended by her statement?