Ask A Guy: What Should I Give My New Boyfriend For Christmas?

Boyfriend Christmas Gift

All he wants for Christmas might just be... you!

Dear Ethan, I’ve only been dating this guy for three weeks. Should I get him something for Christmas or not? If I do, what should it be? I don’t want to scare him away, but I do want to do something.

With exception of The Talk (“So…what are we?”) and Dropping the L-Bomb, there is no juncture more awkward in the first year of a relationship than the holiday season – especially when it falls within the first month of dating. But as stressful as it may seem, gift giving can be a fun way to further strengthen a burgeoning relationship.

The key is to keep it light: just as you’d be creeped out by a guy who buys you an expensive ring three weeks in, he’ll be made just as uncomfortable (if not more) by a gift of matching “his and hers” bath towels for his apartment. Instead, something cute and economical is ideal. For a relationship less than a month old, I recommend keeping your budget under $20.

What to actually get, however, is a much more personal question. Start taking notice of his interests and desires during conversation. When my girlfriend talks about a knick knack she’d love to own, food she adores, or her interest in a style of art or type of flower, I always jot it down. This running list makes a much easier task of filling each of Hannukah’s eight nights (be thankful Jesus only gave you one). For a guy, this list might include books, gadgets, movies, or even snacks. One – or a small goodie bag of a few – of these items will surely make him smile.

Does he have a sweet tooth? Bake him some cookies.

Ultimately, regardless of what you choose, giving him anything is enough to demonstrate that you’re excited about him. At this point in the relationship, the thought really is all that counts. So for now, instead of aiming to impress, pick a simple gift that won’t add any pressure. Save the hand-knit sweater woven from your hair for next year! And no matter what, don’t panic if he doesn’t reciprocate. He might have just gone through the same nerve-wracking predicament as you—but without a brilliant advice columnist to guide him through.

Good luck!
Ethan

Are you confused about a guy? Do you find yourself wondering, “What is he thinking?” Tell us everything in the comments! And if you have a question for Ethan, email him at askaguy@gurl.com!

Posted in: Ask A Guy, Dating, Help&Advice, Love Advice
Tags: , , , , ,

1. avatarNicolleeeD says:

So my boyfriend and I just started “officially” dating, but we’ve been together I guess you could say for about a month. The holidays are coming up and I asked him what he wanted for Christmas and, of course, he says “Nothing, don’t buy me anything. You’re my Christmas present”. And while, yes that is extremely adorable and like the cutest thing ever, I REALLY want to get him something. So I guess I need help with what to get him? Some things he likes are Comedy Central, sushi, the band Parachute, Family Guy, and Batman and I can’t really think of anything else at the moment…please help Ethan!!!

2. avatarkatiie says:

Me and my boyfriend have been dating 9 months as of today, we never really are the Type to Give presenta yet we never have so I have no idea what to get him, hes 25 a rapper but Aldo has the video game geek side to him he lovea pokemon adventure time and legend of zelda but i kinnda want to get somthing to show i love him but somthing geeky… Any ideas ??

3. avatarMikki says:

I’ve been dating this guy for as of today a month. I have some ideas as to what to get him for Christmas, but I’m afraid I have too many in mind unlike the other girls. My only problem is what would he truly like. He’s a generous guy and would rather give then receive. I am thinking of a stuffed animal dog (he wants a dog but his parents won’t get him one), a poster of his man crush, or another snuggie (he really loves snuggies). I don’t know how much to spend on him because idk if he plans on getting me something even if it was hinted. Any help….

4. avatarspoon says:

So, i’m 15 and my boyfriend’s 18. He dosen’t really listen to Cd’s and we dont really have the same taste in music. Actually they’re complete opposites i like metal and he likes rap. ANY WAY we’ve been together for like a week or so and Christmas is coming up, i don’t love him and that seems to be the main theme of every boyfriend gift ever. What do i get him?

• avatarMikki says:

Why not get him a funny card and put a gift card in it. You can express how you feel so far, and plus if it’s a gift card that he could use anywhere he can use it on a date with you saving him some money.

5. avatarbrooke says:

I have no idea what to get my bf and we have been dating for about 3months and I’m totally freaking out cause he’s already got me something and he’s always doing nice things for me so I want this to be a perfect present what should I get him we r both 14=/

• avatarcassie says:

You can get him something like a nice cologne and a shirt or maybe something from his favorite sports team like a shirt or a bag.. Just some ideas, hope this helped you (:

6. avatarAnonymous says:

my boyfriend is 16 and we have been dating for over a year , this is our second Christmas together and I have no clue what to get him, he buys me stuff all the time and I want it to get him somthing cute and special but I dont know what to buy

• avatarBecca says:

you guys have been dating for over a year ……. make a scrap book of pictures with cute little things

7. avatargrace says:

Hey,
    I started dating my long time friend in september its now been a month by Christmas it will be 3 months, I was thinking of getting him a outfit or cologne.. which one would he prefer he’s 17 and I’m 14 don’t give me the age gap crap please I realise hes older but you can’t control who you fall in love with because I never wanted to have to Ho through this reletionship because it has to be a secret but I love him too much just to let go.. – Grace

• avatarsophie says:

i think he would prefer the cologne as u would have to ask for his clothes size what will sorta give the surprise away :)

8. avatarConfusedone says:

Me an my boyfriend have been dating for a week by Christmas time it will be 2 an 1/2 I have no clue what to get him for Christmas and I’m a nervous wreck please help me I beg you someone anyone were both 15

• avatar$TARR says:

I’ve been dating my boyfriend since Halloween and since Christmas is coming up I want to get him something but I will be out of state and since he doesn’t have a since of smell I don’t know what to get him He’s 15 and I’m 13 Help!!!! -$tarr

9. avatarsheng says:

Hey girls…i see that you gals are having a hars time thinking what to give your hubby or boothang for christmas…here arw some gifts i bought him for christmas this ueae, the year before, and so on….gift card to HOOTERS, pair of shoes and socks, camera, car deck/cd player for his car, adventure trip to cloud nine, heaing seat pad, caps with matching color hoodie like black hoodie and grey cap and this year i gave birth to our firsr son for 10 years and that was his Christmas…well i hope my gifts give you gals some ideas…tehehe

10. avatarsarah says:

Good advice. My boyfriend is 27 and I’m 20, so there’s a slight age gap where interests are considered. Luckily he is a bit of a dork/nerd like me :). He loves video games and has a portable game player, a Nintendo ds lite, so maybe a case for it? I’m still not.sure, i defnitely agree that it should be $20 or under.

11. avatarsumari says:

I’m 15 and my boyfriend is 20. We are almost 2 weeks together and its near christmas and I don’t know what to get him. Please please help!!!:(

12. avatarKaee says:

I got my boyfriend a watch a few weeks before we started dating and he loved it! Im thinking about getting him a pocket knife this year. So maybe something he can use for work or around the house? either way im sure he’ll love it since its from you.

13. avatarlouise says:

Its christmas soon. I don’t know what to get my boyfriend,we’ve been together a while now and I have no idea what so ever to get him. I don’t want to look cheesy or make it look like I don’t really care. So confused ahh!! Help me:-(!!!

14. avatarAnonymous says:

Me and my boyfriend are both 16and havebeendating for over a year, it’s our second Christmas together but I don’t know what to get him. I’ve asked him nd his reply was whatever he’s not fussed. I was thinking of something like cologne or aftershave but I’m not sure… You have any ideas?

15. avatarChanticlear says:

.What if you and your boyfriend has been together for 6months to a year, and this is going to be there first christmas together! What do you get him when your on a budget!?????

• avatarEthan Fixell says:

Hey Chanticlear,

Good question. The circumstances are definitely a little bit different as you get deeper into the relationship. For one thing, there’s no “hard” budget rule like there is in the first month — once you’re edging towards a full year together, feel free to spend whatever you can comfortably afford. If your budget is limited, you can still take the grab bag approach I’ve outlined above. Keep track of what he talks about liking or wanting, and pick up a few of some of the more affordable items, or just one larger one. If you want to spend a little more for a more “serious” gift, you can’t go wrong with electronic gadgets for a guy — mp3 players, video games, headphones are all like jewelry for men!

-Ethan