Is It Weird To Date Someone Younger Than Me?

Age doesn't stop these two from being totally adorable.

Hi Heather,

Is it weird for a junior in high school to date a freshman? I really like this guy and we spend a lot of time together but he’s two years younger than me! Would it be too weird for us to date?

If you really like this guy, and you two get along really well, then you should feel comfortable dating him even though he’s younger. When it comes to relationships, the thing that really matters if both people have a connection and make each other happy.

That being said, I know that it might seem weird to date someone younger than you. You might be worried about what other people will think, and that’s completely understandable. But in the end, all that matters is how you and this guy feel about each other. It can be hard to go against what society thinks is “normal”, but if you two really like each other, than you shouldn’t feel like you have to make your age an issue.

But while the age difference shouldn’t be a major issue, it’s still something to consider. Keep in mind that gURLs naturally mature faster than guys, so don’t be surprised if you two aren’t on exactly the same wavelength. But as long as he makes you happy, feel free to date him, because it isn’t weird at all.

WDYT, gURLs? Have you ever dated someone younger than you? Would you ever date someone a different age than you? Do you think it’s weird when gURLs do that? Give us your advice and discuss below!

take care,

heather

What’s on your mind? Heather can help! Send her your question at heather@gurl.com.

Posted in: Dating, Help Me Heather, Help&Advice, Love Advice, Sex
Tags: ,

1. avatar Nat says:

So, I’ve known my guy friend for about a year now. I first met him when I was in 8th grade and he was in 7th. We became friends really quick mostly from common interests. For the whole school year of middle school we had together, we stayed good friends. At that point, I had a “wouldn’t mind dating if he asked” feeling about him, but it never got awkward because of that. I gradually got closer to him as the school year came to a closing. I lost contact with him over the summer (3 months!!) and felt bad. But, ecently when I started High School, the #1 thing I wanted to do was see him for the first time in 3 months. Then when I did, I gave him my phone number. Now I have that “Please let us be together soon” feeling! We have texted a lot, but it’s so hard to convey my feelings and use body language through text. I really miss him now and wish that he could be in HS with me already! He is only 2 months younger than me, but a grade below me. He gave me a keychain gift and I found out he liked Jolly Ranchers, so I give him those. I don’t know how else to take this another step, because I only get to see him a few seconds afterschool. I don’t want to be so separted from him and be in a relationship “so close yet so far.” What to do… > <

2. avatar Iona Isla says:

Ok so here it is….
    So I’m going to be a senior and i am currently 17, this summer my little brother played water polo in san francisco so everyone had to stay at a hotel. Most of the kids are sophomores on his team. Me and this one super tall and big kid on the team started talking, and i realized, THIS GUY IS REALLY AWESOME. so the flirting continued and i knew we both liked each other by the end of the week. I started talking with his sister, and i find out he is an 8th grader, and is currently TWELVE years old.
    so now i have no idea what to do with my situation of falling for a 12 year old…

3. avatar Jessica says:

I am a sophomore in high school. Just recently I have started to become very attracted to a freshman guy. I already know he is too immature for me, however, we get along great and I have become more and more inclined to become more touchy feely with him. Touchy feely as in hugging more and being more playful, things of that sort. Which I can kind of tell he isn’t sure what to think when I do hug him. We both agree we are great friends and work together well, but with me being the older one, will he not make any moves? Will I have to make moves first, to see if he likes me? I know he thinks I’m pretty, so attraction is there. But we don’t talk about feelings ever! He’s super cute both inside and out. I can’t help my attraction and I’m not sure how to stop liking him!

4. avatar Scarlett says:

I met my friend about 7 years ago. Quickly we became really good friends and eventually I started getting the feeling that he liked me. Recently he told me that he has liked me for 5 years so then we sort of became more then friends. The only thing is that he just turned 14 and I am 17. But, honestly it doesn’t bother me. He is pretty mature for his age and we really love each other and make each other happy. Plus he is like 7 inches taller than me so he doesn’t really look a lot younger or anything. I really don’t think there is anything weird with it but I just hope that everything turns out good in the end. In my opinion as long as you are compatible age really doesn’t matter.

5. avatar single party köln says:

Their just like you examine my head! You appear to find out a great deal about the following, just like you had written the actual e-book within it or something that is. I have faith that you could do by r. d. in order to electrical power the material dwelling a tad, having said that besides that, that is amazing website. A fantastic study. I’m going to certainly return to their office.

6. avatar taylor says:

i started dating this guy in my class and he is really nice but do u think it is a good thing I’m 5 months older than him i do not really mind it but i just wanted to know if it is a good thing or not I’ in middle school and don’t know a hole lot about dating because he is the first boyfriend i had and we have held hands one time but just stood there and did not even look at each other i think it was because we had friends around and all i want to ask a qustion how many times in a week should we hold hands

7. avatar Kacey says:

I like two guys named Tommy and Derek. Tommy is in my grade and has liked me for a while now. I thought I liked him too until I met Derek. Tommy’s a nice guy but he says strange things and doesn’t have any friends. He always wants to hang out with me which seems really sweet, but if I’m busy and say I can’t he’ll ask me five more times to hang out. He’s really cute, but I’m afraid of what other people will say and if our personalities don’t work together. Derek is that guy whose popular, attractive, and confident. He’s sweet to me and always tells me I’m pretty. He runs track like me, and is super involved in things like acting. He’s smart and he makes me laugh. I would totally like him even more if he was my age. He’s only six months younger than me, but he’s a grade below me. I’m going to be a sophomore and he’s going to a freshman. I feel like people are going to judge me for liking a younger guy. I know that Tommy seems to be the normal choice, but I feel more attracted to Derek. What should I do?

• avatar Hope says:

Well if you really liked tommy you wouldnt have fallen for Derek so I think derek would be your better choice..

8. avatar Priscilla says:

I’m 14 and i’m in love with my best friend. He’s 12, and he’s my best friend’s brother. I’ve liked him for 4 years and last summer, August 16th 2012, he asked me out. It was the best summer ever. We did all those couple things. I felt weird dating him because I have been dreaming about dating him for the past 4 years and it was actually happening. on November 3rd, he broke up with me. He felt as if I didn’t want anybody to know were dating, which wasn’t really true. It was just weird for me, entering high school, dating a 7th grader. I just didn’t want to be judged. Also, all my friends kept saying how it was weird. One of them told me it looked like i was babysitting him. But i still love him. I over looked my mistakes and
    my best friend said that he might like me back. I just wanted to thank you for the advice.

9. avatar erika says:

So hes 14 & a frashman. Im 17 & a senior is that wierdd? Ughh please i need help.

10. avatar Kyna says:

For short, he goes to primary school with my little brothers and they’re best friends. This boy asked what year I’m in, I said i’m in year 8 going 9 and he’s in year 5 going 6. He also said that it sucks that I’ll be in year 10 and he’ll be freshman when he go to high school. I said that we will still see each other anyway. When party’s over, he kissed me goodbye. :)

This boy is just so amazing and I have fallen in love with him. He is so handsome. When I read this website, it gave me confidence of liking a guy younger than me. But it feels kind of weird liking a 12 yr old boy. But seriously, I really like this boy. I wish he goes to my school right now. God, I love him.!

Sorry that it’s so long. Xx

11. avatar Kyna says:

This leaves me thinking about the guy that I like. I’m 14 yrs old and this boy that I just met from a party (normal party for ages 12-14). And too be honest, I like this 12 years old boy…I mean he is super cute, funny, got swag, sweet, attractive and adorable!! I know you might think (what the hell, this girl likes a twelvie kid?!) But he is just amazingly good looking twelvie. He has such a great smile, laugh and charm. And he is not those kind of twelvies that aren’t mature yet, but this boy is. He complimented me, smiles at me, looks at me a lot (he got blue eyes…so I find it very attractive!!), he hugged and played truth or dare were he was dared to kiss me on the lips but I had no choice, so we kissed for 5 secs. He was passionate kissing me so I did I. Then he pulled back and said to me, “You’re an amazing kisser.” I got blanked so I just smiled.
    For short,