Discuss: Are You Offended By This Anorexia-Themed Halloween Costume?

Totally inappropriate? We think so.

Halloween costumes for gURLs have gotten a little bit ridiculous lately, with people trying to make literally anything into a “sexy” and revealing outfit for the holiday. But we think this anorexia-themed costume totally crosses the line.

Eating disorders are nothing to joke about, and this costume just seems to be making light of a really serious situation. The dress features a skeletal figure on it, along with some measuring tape around the waist as an accessory. And just to be sure you didn’t misunderstand what it was about, the costume is called ‘Anna Rexia’.

This costume has actually been around for a few years, but when a store called Ricky’s started selling it again recently, people immediately got offended. The store has since pulled the costume and apologized for upsetting people.

WDYT, gURLs? Are you totally offended by this costume? Or do you think this is just a funny joke? Have you or anyone close to you ever suffered from an eating disorder? Discuss below.

Posted in: Being Yourself, Beliefs, Body Image, In the News, Your Life
Tags: , , , ,

1. avatar rachel says:

I am very offended and I think it is disgusting; having suffered with an ED for 13 years, there is nothing more painful than to have a deadly disease turned into a joke. Anorexia has the highest mortality rate of any mental disorder. They should be ashamed.

2. avatar Anonymous says:

I know this is a real issue, but are you kidding me!?! It’s just a costume, and let the retards who choose to wear it, be well retarded. Live your life, and look toward the future.

3. avatar Jess says:

Like someone else said it’s a mental health issue you wouldn’t have one called ‘Dee Pressed’ or ‘Ree Tarded’

4. avatar 4evrmileyfan13 says:

I so agree with that 1st sentence!

5. avatar Megan says:

I think that’s stupid. I dunno, the fact that people who’re anorexic feel like their ‘aim’ is to become as thin as possible…well advertising the costume with someone who has like a ‘perfect’ body is only somehow..mocking the whole thing. That’s the first thing I noticed. Oh and the name. Yeah thats a definite no-no.

• avatar rachel says:

I agree with the airbrushed, enhanced, perfect bodied floozy wearing the costume should be ashamed

6. avatar Anonymous says:

I do not have an eating disorder, but I still think this costume is very offensive. Thats like creating a costume called Dee Pressed. like wtf? Anorexia is a mental health issue. Treat it like one.

7. avatar Sarah A. says:

Honestly, I have an eating disorder, I know I do, I used to over eat, I used to binge eat, I’ve been anorexic, I have a love hate relation ship with food. But I also know that I don’t need to take everything to heart. I would see this and be amazed that someone saw this as funny, because I don’t, but at the same time, it’s what ever. If you choose to be offended you will be, I’m not, because even if this is making fun of something serious, I know that who ever did this probably hasn’t gone through what I have, and many other people out there, and those that buy it, well, again whatever, it’s their money not mine. I honesly wouldn’t be bothered to care too much. Other people, in my opinion, need to chill, if you don’t like it, don’t buy it, simple as that.

• avatar Mila2 says:

agreed, i have an eating disorder too but it doesn’t rlly bother me but i still think it is not good

8. avatar lala1112 says:

How is this cute? I don’t understand…no one is gonna think it’s clever when you tell them you’re anorexia for halloween. Who’s gonna think “Oh thats a good one I should’ve thought of that one?” Woooowww…..