Is it true that your first love will always be a part of you? It’s been years since I last spoke to mine and I still have feelings for him. How do I get over him?
I definitely think that the action of the first time you ever loved someone will always be a part of you, since emotionally connecting with someone on a romantic level is a huge deal — especially the first time. Love makes us vulnerable, and it’s a big step for a person to put themselves out there. But as far as never getting over a particular person, I don’t think they’ll always have to be a part of you.
Everything takes time. Some people never forget the first person they loved, some people never stop caring about them, some people never get over them, and others can’t even remember who they are. There’s no “right” way to be.
If you really want to get over your first love (or any person in general), keep him out of sight. Not talking to him is a good start, but defriending him on Facebook, unfollowing him on Twitter, taking him out of your phone, etc. will really get him out of your consciousness.
But honestly, unless he was a total jerk, there’s no reason you need to cut off all contact with your first love. I’m sure that he helped you learn a lot about yourself. Sometimes it’s nice to look back at people who made us feel special, even if it feels silly that it was years ago. As long as you don’t let it control your life now, a sweet memory is one of the nicest things.
WDYT, gURLs? What’s your relationship with your first love? Are you over them? Will you ever be? Share your stories and advice below.
What’s on your mind? Heather can help! Send her your question at email@example.com.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games