I don’t know what to do! I am 14 years old and I haven’t gotten my period. I do have discharge every day, but not a lot. I’m also going to be turning 15 in November. My best friend started her period already, even my cousin who’s only 11 started her period at 10. So I don’t know what to do. Should I wear pads in case it happens in public? Will it show through my pants the first time? It’s summer time and I wear shorts, so any suggestions? Can you estimate when I will be having my period?
Every gURL gets her period at a different age, so just because you haven’t yet doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with you. Puberty can begin in gURLs, and menstruation can start any time from the ages of 8 to 15, give or take. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you when you’ll get your period, but it will probably happen within the next few months or years.
Every gURL’s first period is different. Sometimes it can show through your pants, but it doesn’t always. Feel free to wear shorts as much as you want. The first time is usually only a small amount of blood, so as long as you put on a pad right away, you’ll be okay. You should be prepared when the time comes, but there’s no need to wear pads if you haven’t gotten it yet. Like I told this gURL, carry around a small bag with one pad
inside so that you’ll always have it if you need it.
As for the vaginal discharge, it’s your vagina’s way of self-cleaning and getting rid of bacteria down there. Harmless discharge is usually a small amount of transparent liquid that is odorless, but it can vary for everyone. As long as you aren’t experiencing itching, discomfort or any kind of pain, you don’t need to worry about it.
Don’t stress about it too much — you’ll get your period eventually! And if you’re really worried, you can always talk to your mom, a school nurse or your doctor.
What about you, gURLs? Have you gotten your first period yet? When did you get it? Share your tips and advice below.
What’s on your mind? Heather can help! Send her your question at email@example.com.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games