Do you need to get tested to find out you have an STD? Is it possible a test can determine how long an STD has been present in someone? Help me!
While many sexually transmitted diseases and infections often have pretty obvious symptoms, the only way to know for sure if you have one is to get tested. STDs and STIs are usually easy to treat, but they can have serious consequences if they’re not taken care of. It may seem intimidating or embarrassing, but getting tested on a regular basis is an important part of your sexual health.
If you’ve been having unsafe sex (sex without a barrier, like a condom), then I highly recommend you get tested as soon as possible. If you don’t feel comfortable going to your gynecologist or your local health clinic, Planned Parenthood does affordable STD testing. If you don’t want to go to a doctor just yet, you can get an at-home STD screening kit from trusted sites like IWantTheKit.org and DontThinkKnow.org. But be careful about at-home tests — most of them aren’t FDA approved.
There’s no way a test can tell you who you got an STD from or exactly how long you’ve had it. If you’ve had unprotected sex in the past 12 months, then you most likely contracted it from that person or people. If you’ve had unprotected sex with more than one partner, then you need to tell each of them to get tested in order for them to get treated.
I realize how embarrassing the whole process might be, which is why I always stress to gURLs the importance of practicing safe sex. Please: Use a condom, know your partners, and take care of your sexual health!
WDYT, gURLs? Have you ever been tested for an STD? Have you ever had one? What happened? Share your stories and advice below.
What’s on your mind? Heather can help! Send her your question at email@example.com.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games