I am upset, because I would like a relationship, but at the same time, I am extremely afraid of being hurt after hearing my parents continually fighting. I am even more hesitant after hearing about my uncle cheating on my auntie. It seems I do not trust any guy enough to have a relationship with him.
It’s not easy to grow up listening to your parents fight and watching serious relationships fall apart. When you’re surrounded by those negative images, it’s easy to feel like every relationship is doomed. But while it’s normal to be scared of trusting people, it’s important to understand not every relationship is dysfunctional.
You don’t have to feel like you can’t trust any guy — every person is different. That being said, being able to trust someone is still a big step in every kind of relationship and you should feel free take things slowly. When you meet a guy you like, take your time getting to know him, and be honest and realistic with him about your trust issues once you feel comfortable.
Keep in mind that trust is never an easy thing. But instead of focusing on the negative, think about all of the other great relationships in your life and learn from those. Were your grandparents in a healthy relationship? A friend’s parents? You’ll come to find that sometimes you might get hurt, but there will be plenty of times when you won’t. It’s a risk, but if you never learn to trust anyone, then you’ll miss out on a lot of really great moments in both relationships and friendships. And, on the bright side, you learn more about yourself when you open up to new experiences, even if they do end poorly.
WDYT, gURLs? Do you have trust issues? How do you let your guard down? Share your stories and advice below.
What’s on your mind? Heather can help! Send her your question at email@example.com.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games