I worry ALL THE TIME. I mean almost every second. Grades, freaky things, things that won’t happen, friends, my future, whatever. If I can, I’ll worry about it. It’s driving me nuts! What can I do?
I’m sure that your anxious feelings are really taking a toll on you emotionally, and it’s good that you realize you need to change that. While worrying about certain things is normal (and your brain’s way of getting things done!), doing it too much can lead to unnecessary panic, negativity and anxiety — and as a teen gURL, you don’t need any extra stress! It’s easy to get into a pattern of worrying about every little thing, and it’s also really common, so don’t feel like you’re alone in this.
Our thoughts are connected to our emotions and behaviors, which means that in order to stop worrying, you need to change the way you think. You have to accept the fact that life is unpredictable and that there are tons of things you’ll never have any control over. Worrying will only make you feel stressed out and anxious, and won’t be able to enjoy all of the good things around you. The next time you’re worrying, ask yourself this: What is the real chance of something bad actually happening, and if it does will it really be the worst thing in the world?
It’ll also help to think in a more positive way, and to not beat yourself up every time you start to stress out. And as strange as it might sound to you, meditation can really help. Try to take a yoga class a few times a week, or buy a yoga tape and do it at home. Whenever you start to feel really worried, close your eyes and take five slow, deep breaths. Sleep will help, too!
If none of this helps, I suggest talking to a school counselor or a therapist — they’ll be able to help you talk it out.
Let me know how it goes, okay?
WDYT, gURLs? Do you worry about a lot of things? How do you get through it? Share your stories and advice below.
What’s on your mind? Heather can help! Send her your question at email@example.com.
more ways to get gURLy:
- Pearls of wisdom, survey q’s, polls, quotes to live by — it’s all on gURL.com’s Twitter. Follow us!
- Luv gURL? Then ‘Like’ us, too! Let’s be friends on Facebook and you’ll get first looks at stories!
- Can’t get enough of gURL.com? We don’t blame you. Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
- Let’s talk. Shout Out advice, music, politics, poetry, your style and MORE!
- Your hook on hooking up: gURL’s sex, health & relationships blog.
- Need some advice, quick? Ask Heather anything; she answers three q’s, daily!
- Bored? Take new quizzes and play gURL games